Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 4:32:05 PM EDT
Inside where the bolt sits, I can not get the carbon out. I even tried a .45cal cleaning brush with no luck, it got some of it out but most of it was still there. What do I do?

Thanks 556Cliff    
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dental picks

Chamber cleaning brush
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry about it, it is self limiting. Use a solvent soak and a brush and forget about what doesn't come out. Find something else to obsess over.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/Images/mbc-02.gif[/img]

[url]http://bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/mbc-02.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks alot guys!

So it's self limiting, Is it worth the extra $$ for the tool to clean it out, I see that it's chrome lined in there. Will it cause corrosion of any kind?  

Thanks 556Cliff
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter desolves the carbon on contact. I can drop my bolt and or bolt carrier in to this stuff and watch the carbon float away. Non hazardous, non toxic. No nasty smell and a 16 oz. jar has lasted me almost a year. Even when this stuff turned black it still works.
They will send you a free sample to. Have to e-mail and tell them you read about it here. It is worth your time. Heres how you can get there.
http://slip2000.com/carboncutter.html
Crisco
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the $30 tool, thinking it was needed. I sprayed the bolt recess with CLP, let it soak, then went at it with the tool. Didn't help all that much as there was still carbon on there.

Frankly, all you need to do is spray it with CLP, let it soak for a bit, then use a few cotton swabs to wipe it up. Don't worry about it after that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Him has it exactly right... don't worry about it.  Spend the money on ammo or magazines, not a carbon scraper...

[url]groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/tipstricks.msnw[/url]

Ignoring Carbon Build-up - per Armalite

There are frequent posts asking about cleaning carbon from the AR. We've decided to post our answer as a separate topic for your reading amusement:

Hold off on removing the carbon. Leave it.
Now that we've got your attention, we'll explain.

Deep inside the AR-10 or AR-15/M-16 bolt carrier is a groove at the end of the chromed cylinder that the gas rings slide in. That groove is GRIND RELIEF. It's a production artifact. It prevents a ledge from being left where the grinding for that cylinder ends.

Carbon can build up in the groove and the rear surface of the carrier. It is harmless. The high pressure/temperature operating gas keeps it from building up too much. About the time it gets too bulky, it gets blown out.

Don't confuse instincts for cleanliness that you learned in the military with common sense. It's easy for an inspector to know when there isn't a speck of dirt. It's harder to know what's important.

Any scraper that'll get to it can damage the ground surface inside the carrier. Bad deal.

Clean out what you can with patches or Q-tips, but white-glove cleaning damages more guns than all the shooting we do.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again,

It's good to hear that coming from Armalite. That slip 2000 sounds good I mite try some.

Thanks 556Cliff    
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I just sent an email to slip2000. I want to try that out...sounds good.
CB
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I sold my scraper - unnecessary.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top