Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/30/2003 4:39:06 PM EST
Man I hate to ask this question but it's easier than trying to screw around with it since I don't know. I want to put that fobus pistol grip on my ar. I can see from the inside of the grip what's holding it on but what do I use to un screw it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:44:56 PM EST
3/16" allen wrench... Be careful not to lose the safety detent spring which is secured by the grip...
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:50:36 PM EST
It's probably held on with a socket cap screw. The bolt will have a hex shape cut in it. Use a hex wrench of the correct size, I think 1/4". You will need to use the long end of the wrench. The screw may be too tight to loosen with the leverage you can muster with the short end of the wrench. Use a small pipe or adjustable wrench on the short hex to help you. Remember, lefty loosey righty tighty [;)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:34:20 PM EST
Mine is just a regular screw, and I use a screwdriver. Weird how yours needs all these special hex wrenches.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:47:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/30/2003 8:48:45 PM EST by MarineNP]
Well I guess you know that there is an allen screw inside the hole of your grip if you look in from the bottom. Everyone I have ever seen is an allen screw made for a 3/16" allen wrench...at least I think it's 3/16". You will have to find an allen wrench long enough to reach the screw. P.S. Don't lose the little spring when you remove your pistol grip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:13:24 PM EST
You can get a set of T handle allen wrenches for around ten bucks. The wrenches are all about five or six inches long. Very convenient for jobs like that. As mentioned, don't loose the spring. More important, don't loose the safety detent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:04:28 PM EST
There are two types. The majority of what I have seen is a normal flathead screw, although recently I have been coming across the allen head screw. Like someone else said when you take it off, watch the detent and spring.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 12:05:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/1/2003 12:06:16 AM EST by shamayim]
Originally Posted By eschang1: Mine is just a regular screw, and I use a screwdriver. Weird how yours needs all these special hex wrenches.
View Quote
Colt, and all the military M16s use (or used, since I haven't been around any made in the last ten years) a regular slotted head screw, which I prefer. All the recent commercial types I've seen have hex head screws, which is a minor aggravation for me, because I've got to scramble around in my messy tool box to find the durned right hex wrench [;D] I just went ahead and replaced the hex head jobs on my Bushie and Rock River lowers w/ the sLotted type. Wish all of life's problems were so easily solved[:D]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 12:43:54 PM EST
OK...I got it al taken care of. It was a allen screwdriver that was needed but I had a flat blade screwdriver just hte perfect size to put pressure on it and take it off and put back on. I made sure to get the spring and the thin, star shaped thing back on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:36:50 PM EST
I know this is an old topic(well not that old!!!)... I just got a new grip today only to find out that my allen key is too darn short... Man this sucks!!!! New goodie(even if it is a little one!!) and not able to play w/it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:44:08 PM EST
Get some long T handle allen wrenches. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:48:32 PM EST
OK quick trip to Sears Hardware store fixed that problem... Now I got my new Hogue grip on...nothing fancy, but it sure beats that plastic thing!!!
Top Top