Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 6:39:58 PM EDT
Is this a simiple matter of putting a wrench around the brake and twisting, or is there more to it than that?  I am looking at building an AR and noticed that most companies charge $40 - $50 more for a post-ban kit with a muzzle brake.  However, I figured I might be able to buy a pre-ban kit, remove the brake and bayonet lug, and then add a Cav comp for $25 or so.  Then, I still have a threaded barrel to change to a true flash hider if the AWB sunsets.  

How difficult would this be to remove a pre-ban brake?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You can remove a flash supressor without to much trouble. The correct size wrench is necessary of course.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
So, it pretty much is just a matter of turning a wrench then, eh?

Can a Cav comp. be just screwed on and affixed with loc-tite?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Threads are a no-no for a postban. You need to perm. attach the brake, i.e. weld blind pin etc.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
You need a 3/4 wrench and looking straight at the muzzle,right to tighten and left to loosen.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, it pretty much is just a matter of turning a wrench then, eh?

Can a Cav comp. be just screwed on and affixed with loc-tite?
View Quote

As Russ223 said, you will have to permanently attach the comp. The comp comes with a pin and a hole already drilled in the comp. You screw the comp on until it is sitting the way you want it. You then drill through the hole in the comp into the barrel. You only have to drill a little bit. You insert the pin and weld over it. Then grind and finish the comp. It isn't difficult if you have all the tools needed. If you don't then maybe you should just have the post ban brake installed before you buy it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay... this is starting to make sense to me.

Basically, physically removing an A2 brake doesn't sound that difficult.

When it comes to a post ban brake (such as a Cav comp), I have to drill a small "dimple" into my barrel where I want the pin to hold.  Then, I insert the pin and weld over it, correct?  With this in mind, if the AWB sunsets and I want to reinstall the A2 brake, couldn't I just drill out the pin on the Cav comp and remove, since I'm welding the pin but not actually welding the brake to the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Okay... this is starting to make sense to me.

Basically, physically removing an A2 brake doesn't sound that difficult.

When it comes to a post ban brake (such as a Cav comp), I have to drill a small "dimple" into my barrel where I want the pin to hold.  Then, I insert the pin and weld over it, correct?  With this in mind, if the AWB sunsets and I want to reinstall the A2 brake, couldn't I just drill out the pin on the Cav comp and remove, since I'm welding the pin but not actually welding the brake to the barrel?
View Quote

Yes, if you install the comp according to the instructions. You will be able to remove the comp later.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top