Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2009 6:26:11 PM EDT
I am torn between getting a Colt AR or a Ruger 556.  I am wondering if the Ruger has a true advantage over the standard AR design.  Is the Ruger worth the price difference?  Are there any "bugs" that the Ruger is showing, is it too new to trust the rifle design yet?  Just wondering what are your thoughts.  I am going to bed now, but will check back tomorrow.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to hear from someone who bought one that dosn't like it. The Ruger turned out to be a great piston AR. Whether it has any advantages over a Colt or other DI gun is debateable. If I were buying now, I'd go for something like a Colt, BCM, DD, Stag, etc....
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a Colt 6920 for $1100 shipped, it doesn't get much more reliable than a Colt.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd buy a RRA and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good for what? If the OP just needs a weekend plinker the RRA is fine, for a reliable weapon get Colt, BCM, LMT, etc...
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking for a SHTF gun.  I am wondering if the Ruger is it or maybe the Colt?  Trying to decide if the gas piston is all that and also wondering if there are any bugs with the 556 that I am not aware of.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am looking for a SHTF gun.  I am wondering if the Ruger is it or maybe the Colt?  Trying to decide if the gas piston is all that and also wondering if there are any bugs with the 556 that I am not aware of.....

If you want a SHTF rifle, Colt is the way to go, use what the military does.  Colt unlike commercial gun makers (RRA, Ruger, etc..) have to make their parts to the standards the military sets, commercial companies can and will cut corners.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for what? If the OP just needs a weekend plinker the RRA is fine, for a reliable weapon get Colt, BCM, LMT, etc...

Wasn't RRA the arfcom darling a few years ago?

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Colt or RRA.  Ruger has too many issues that need to be worked out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
So far, so good. Was hesitant to buy a Ruger, from various experience with having several ruger products in the past, but figured the only way to find out for SURE, was to try it for myself. Over the years I've had almost a dozen AR's, a couple sig 556's, ak's and an xcr rifle to compare too......, running through a few cases of ammo over time.  It's been kinda like the never ending selection process, come full circle a few times, grass greener on the other side?  This sr556 is showing good potential, but I only have a couple hundred rnds through it, about half with an aac can on it. Was worried about general accuracy, being a ruger made barrel and all, but it has proven to shoot as well or better than  other ar's I've had, which most recently includes a colt 6940.  Ran over to the range tonight to run it on steel targets with the can and add to the round count, had a couple other folks run some mags through it (suppressor deprived michiganders at the range today in IN).  Had one failure to eject so far, with recent manufacture wolf........the case rim busted off where the ejector pulls it, just rod'd it out.  Had this happen a couple  times in my sig rifle with the same lot of ammo, and had stuck cases in a couple pistols now with wolf ammo lately.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get the Colt or RRA.  Ruger has too many issues that need to be worked out.

Colt has QC issues  and RRA has some also,  Both have been in the game longer and should have them worked by now but they dont.  Both have good products.  but both also have products that you have to wonder how they made it out of the building.  IE canted FSB's or out of spec magwell's,

I have a RRA middy SS, a few colts  Match Target Comp, HBAR Elite, 6920, some  homebuilt dogs (CMMG DPMS),   and the ruger.  The ruger is by far my favorite AR in the stable.  I have a review of the first 1500 rounds threw it while I was home and got to run another 500 rounds threw it this last trip home.  4 failures in 2000 rounds 3 of them were in the first mag then the last was due to someone suggesting turning the gas down to 1 for decent ammo.    I dont like the M-4 style stock so swapped mine out to an A-2 and for the first 1500 rounds had the standard FCG pins,  but installed KNS's this last trip home for the last 500.  

The only complaints I have are,  no front sling attachment point.  and gasblock is a tidbit out of alignment with the rail.
Trying to find a LMT piston rifle to compare to next trip home.  Maybe a 6940 if the price is right.

My Review

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#11]
don't buy into all the piston hype. the GIS is just fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Either way both are known for reliability. I have 8 ruger weapons in my safe as we speak and owned on and off another 4-5 over the last 20 years. Like any manufacturer they have issues or quirks. That being said reliability has always been there strong point.

Go to the piston forum. You will see the occasional wining and complaints but again over all reliability is very good. There are even a couple guys concerned about carier tilt, again just some wear marks there not used to but no malfunction issues.

I am a Colt owner also through and through but think Ruger has a winner here as far as the market there aiming for.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says you.  I'm no fan of RRA, but they are generally reliable and work fine.  Or do you have experience with all of the above named brands?  Or just interwebz knowledge?

As for the Ruger, it's more expensive than it should be, and it's very front heavy.  That looong Troy rail is no lightweight, and the same goes for the barrel and piston gas block assembly.  I'd pass, there are better ARs out there for less money.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Are there any specific problems with the ruger
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
After fifty years of building the AR platform, the Pony has forgotten more about EBRs than anyone else could possibly know.  This is the biggest
no-brainer of the week, IMHO !  Yes, it is possible that you could get a problematic Pony....but the odds are definately in favor of it NOT happening.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, I don't think it's been out long enough to make such a judgement...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one with 5k through it and flawless. I like mine
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally id get a standard DI ar.  bushy, stag, rra, colt, lmt, noveske... blahblahblah.... are all g2g.  The most important thing is, no matter what rifle you get, shoot the shit out of it before you trust your life with it.  I dont care if i got a novesky, id take my stag over it until i shot at least 1k rounds through it to build my confidence in it.  After 1000 rds, you can tell if theres gonna be any problems.  If there are, fix it and youll be good.

To be honest, if i wanted a piston gun, id get an ak variant.  If i want an ar, its gonna be DI.  But thats just me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I know he's dead, but one reason I will never buy a Ruger...

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#20]
For SHTF, I would say the piston vs di argument goes out the window.  You want a gun that is reliable (Colt is) and one you can easily find parts for (Ruger is not).  I'd go DI AR, and if Colt is your choice, ok.

I don't put much stock into what people say about Colt vs RRA, vs any other brand (not including Olympic or bottom barrel like that).  If you're not firing full auto, most would do fine.  Just shoot with it and make sure it works well.  You should have a backup BCG anyway.  Use your extra money to buy quality ammo.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally id get a standard DI ar.  bushy, stag, rra, colt, lmt, noveske... blahblahblah.... are all g2g.  The most important thing is, no matter what rifle you get, shoot the shit out of it before you trust your life with it.  I dont care if i got a novesky, id take my stag over it until i shot at least 1k rounds through it to build my confidence in it.  After 1000 rds, you can tell if theres gonna be any problems.  If there are, fix it and youll be good.

To be honest, if i wanted a piston gun, id get an ak variant.  If i want an ar, its gonna be DI.  But thats just me.

Great post Fields, exactly what I was thinking.  We must be related or something.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Get over it.  

The company is not family owned anymore, they have gone out of their way to produce guns that would give Bill an aneurism, and they even changed that stupid "arms maker for responsible citizens" tag line.  WTF do you want them to do?  Dig Bill up and sodomize him with a PMag?

You wanna old grudges forever?  Do you own anything Japanese?  Or German?  Heck, there is some who say that Ford worked both sides of Atlantic in WWII and that a division used slave labor in Germany.  How about Chinese stuff?  

In every one of these threads someone has to pop up and bitch about Bill and it is getting OLD.  It has jack shit to do with the question asked.  Knock it the fuck off.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am torn between getting a Colt AR or a Ruger 556.  I am wondering if the Ruger has a true advantage over the standard AR design.  Is the Ruger worth the price difference?  Are there any "bugs" that the Ruger is showing, is it too new to trust the rifle design yet?  Just wondering what are your thoughts.  I am going to bed now, but will check back tomorrow.  Thanks.

If I were you I'd go with the Colt , Ruger is just to ' new ' to the market and I wouldn't want to be the mule for their new product line

good luck either way.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny you say go with what the military uses... I spent 8 years in the army and never had a colt.  I always had other brands...never a colt.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can get a Colt 6920 for $1100 shipped, it doesn't get much more reliable than a Colt.

For the money I would rather have the colt myself. I am not a fan of the piston rifles, and the colt is the one that all others are judged by.

Not to say the ruger is not a good rifle, just not for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]
"use what the gov't uses..." keep in mind the people who win govt contracts are usually the lowest bidder. Or the term "good enough for govt work", the govt isn't always the best decider of warfighter needs. I work in defense contracting and it is more politically charged than who makes the best product that fills the need. If a company comes up with something that can at least partially do the role and that producer has a greasy palm with the right friends, he's gonna get it. I would bet that the majority of the AR-makers out there make guns as good as, or better, than Colt. My 2 brother in laws served in Iraq and Afghanistan and both complained about their, and fellow soldier's, Colt's. Parts breaking off, jams, misfeeds...  they have superiority over no one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't RRA the arfcom darling a few years ago?

Yep. When I first joined the advice was ABC, or Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt. Now you are treated as some kind of pervert if you own a bushmaster, and Bravo is the flavor of the month. This time next year Bravo will be considered a range toy here and only suitable for mall ninjas. The arfcoms they bees fickle.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually, it would break old bills heart to know his company was making evil ARs for civies. So buying an EBR with the Ruger name on it is almost as good as being able to poke his rotting corpse with a stick. Almost as good

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it would break old bills heart to know his company was making evil ARs for civies. So buying an EBR with the Ruger name on it is almost as good as being able to poke his rotting corpse with a stick. Almost as good

Nah.  Bill Ruger was all about the $$$.  That's why he worked so hard to keep his Mini-14 off the "evil" list.  Now that the AR is becoming more mainstream, I bet he'd be the 1st to cash the sales checks––if he were still alive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Sold all my Colts last spring, when they brought top dollars.  I enjoy shooting my RRA's better, and get match accuracy from the Wilson barrels.  I am also in the market for a piston gun, but don't think I want to drop $1500 for the Ruger....another copy of the original AR design, but with a piston and rod pushing the bolt carrier assembly.  Same round hole in the receiver..no guide rails to follow.  I am surprised that Ruger did not redesign the gun to follow other piston guns...designs that have been perfected for a long time.
Carrier tilt will be a problem with the SR556, just as it is with AR's that have aftermarket piston kits installed.

I want a gun designed from the ground up for a piston/operating rod/carrier running in rails.  Right now...it may be the SIG556.  Really looking at the DMR in that rifle for my next purchase.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get over it.  

The company is not family owned anymore, they have gone out of their way to produce guns that would give Bill an aneurism, and they even changed that stupid "arms maker for responsible citizens" tag line.  WTF do you want them to do?  Dig Bill up and sodomize him with a PMag?

You wanna old grudges forever?  Do you own anything Japanese?  Or German?  Heck, there is some who say that Ford worked both sides of Atlantic in WWII and that a division used slave labor in Germany.  How about Chinese stuff?  

In every one of these threads someone has to pop up and bitch about Bill and it is getting OLD.  It has jack shit to do with the question asked.  Knock it the fuck off.

His actions helped to precipitate the bullshit in the late 80's, 1990's, and into 2004.  He was a huge asset for the anti-gunners, because of gun owners dollars.  I don't care if they aren't familly owned.  It's one of the reasons why I wont, there are others, but that's a big one.  Unforgivable sin in my book.  They may have changed their ways but as a gun owner I want anyone and everyone to realize thre are consequences for actions.  His power came from his customer's pocket books and he used it against them.  If people are too quick to forgive and forget, it will happen again.  

Now I realize that it doesn't have much to do with the thread, perhaps a little hijacking, so sorry for that.  But I refuse to drop it when it changed so much.  To me a grudge is petty.  2nd ammendment isn't petty.

And no, nothing German, very litle Japanese.  Chinese?  Only the stuff that's shit tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Like anything new, this Ruger is gonna have teethin problems.  After they work out the bugs, then we'll see if it's half as reliable as a Colt.  If this is gonna be a SHTF gun, then your gonna have to trust your life on it.  The only answer is "COLT"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top