Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 9:55:31 PM EDT
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but, I've been offered a upper receiver and I've been trying to figure out if it was a chrome lined or chrome-moly barrel. I've been doing some research on the web and a few people told me to just get a bright flashlight, flash it down the barrel and if its a chromed lined barrel it will be shiney but if its chrome-moly it won't be. What confuses me is, isn't chrome-moly and chrome lined both chrome? So they will both be shiney?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It's usually both. Chrome-moly barrels are usually, but not always, chrome-lined.  Look for bright finish in the chamber and muzzle area.  USGI barrels are chrome-moly steel barrels with chrome lining.

Chrome-moly steel is the material the barrel is cut from.  Chrome-lining is exactly what is sounds like, chrome applied to the inside surface of the bore and chamber.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, it's a rra upper that my friend is willing to sell to me for cheap, when he bought it from said it was chrome lined barrel but just trying to figure out how to know for sure. So just look at the finish and muzzle area for something bright? Thanks, appreciate the replys.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
There are markings on the barrel over the chamber on RRA's.

First: N or W...N for NATO chamber or W for Wylde
Second: 8 or 9...8 for 1:8 twist and 9 for 1:9 twist.
Third: A, S, or C...A for moly (chrome -moly Alloy), S for Stainless, and C for Chrome-lined alloy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay I'll check it out. Thanks a lot for your help.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I checked, there isn't anything like that. The only thing I see are the numbers "212"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Nm found it, it is chrome lined. They changed the serial I guess on the newer RRA barrels.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Stick a white Q-Tip down the muzzle and shine a light. If it's a polished mirror surface (on a used barrel) or a light gray surface (on a new barrel) it is a chrome lined bore. If it is a dark colored surface, it's not chrome lined.

Not all chrome lined bores will have a chrome ring at the muzzle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top