Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2006 8:43:23 AM EDT
Im sure you all have answered this question plenty of times but Im new to AR15 and was wondering because I want to make sure that my barrel truely is lined.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You do loose accuracy with a chome-lined barrel. It should be bight like chome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
So what are the pros and cons of having a chrome lined barrel??
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The accuracy impact is very small.

Take apart your upper and use a light to light up the chamber, you should be able to see a light "gray-white" ring around it.  That is the chrome.

You can do the same thing at the barrel end.  If your FH is off, look at the end of the barrel.  You will see a small white ring in the cross-section of the barrel.  That is the chrome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Besides loss of accuracy of course.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Most barrels will be marked on barrel by the front sight. On my bull barrel, its marked under the handguard. Chrome lined barrel will last much longer and is easier to clean plus chrome lined chamber will make feeding and extraction easier. Over all, accuacry difference won't be noticed unless you are one hell of a good shot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Is crome lining really necessary in this day and age with non-corosive ammo when you own a semi-auto weapon?

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Besides loss of accuracy of course.

I bet the accuracy loss is almost unnoticable and 99% of shooters on this board wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is crome lining really necessary in this day and age with non-corosive ammo when you own a semi-auto weapon?

I guess the question is, why not?  Ease of cleaning and corrosion resistance isn't a bad thing so I'll take it any day over non-lined...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a non chrome lined J&T 20" upper, and I can't tell the difference in accuracy between it and my shorter chrome lined ARs.  I do know that the J&T takes about 4 times as many patches before it starts to get clean, whereas my chrome lined barrels only seem to take a few.  YMMV
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top