Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2004 12:05:32 PM EDT
I bought a AR when I was 16 or 17 yrs old, which is almost 10 yrs ago now.  Well I bought it from another individual used, the lower is DPMS but there are no marking on the upper except for a DK on the carry handle.  Anyone have any idea who made this?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally speaking, aftermarket uppers only show a forge marking, and everyone is using the same forges. Only Colt and Diemaco in Canada have consistently put a makers mark along with the forge mark.

HOWEVER--early Bushmaster production also had ID marks that showed who made the piece---and that's what you have.

The forging is a Kaiser, and the upper was built by Bushie
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Generally speaking, aftermarket uppers only show a forge marking, and everyone is using the same forges. Only Colt and Diemaco in Canada have consistently put a makers mark along with the forge mark.

HOWEVER--early Bushmaster production also had ID marks that showed who made the piece---and that's what you have.he

Wow who woulda thunk it! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The "DK" uppers have been around for awhile, and nobody has been sure of the brand. I've had two of them, sold one, CMMG had one on the EE about a year ago, as well as one or two others.  Its a Kaiser forging, but NOT a Diemaco. Both of the uppers I've had came with non-chromelined barrels and the FSB's were held on with roll pins.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The "DK" uppers have been around for awhile, and nobody has been sure of the brand. I've had two of them, sold one, CMMG had one on the EE about a year ago, as well as one or two others.  Its a Kaiser forging, but NOT a Diemaco. Both of the uppers I've had came with non-chromelined barrels and the FSB's were held on with roll pins.

Don't know about the rollpinned FSBs, but I have a pre govt contract Bushie barrel that is totally unmarked, and unlined.

Bushie didn't start lining and marking their barrels unril they got that contract.*   Til then they were just another aftermarket AR peddler. As far as the DK upper marking goes, that info is off the Bigger Hammer wabsite.  Now I don't put much faith in anything on that site any later than about 1990. but for the early stuff Bigger Hammer is pretty complete and accurate.

*And they got that contract because Bushy's President is a big Republican honcho in Maine---and how far from Windham, Maine is the Bush summer home?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What "contract" would that be shamayim?

Diemaco uses a very stylized angular "D", there is a picture of it in the FAQ.

???????What are you talking about? My comments are referring to BUSHMASTER. Where did you get to Diemaco?

The DK marking has nothing to do with Diemaco. According to Bigger Hammer (and in this case I believe it) it's an early Bushy code marking; and the contract I referred to was BUSHIE'S gov't contract of about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now, tell me more about this Bushmaster "government contract".

You've peaked my interest also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Please, you've got to be pulling my leg  I refuse to believe you two are unaware that Bushie built several thousand M4s in 1989 or 90, "on government contract".

(Edited to Add) On another thread, Troy says it was 3500 M4s. Then Colt -653 came in and said Troy had the number wrong; it was only 350.  Have no idea which figure is correct.  But I've got to believe you guys knew it.  It's mentioned too many times on this site, and you guys are too active on the site, for this to be news to y'all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top