Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:26:50 PM EDT
I'm considering one of the ballistically useless but retro tactical 11.5/5.5 setups with the collapseable stock.   Anyone still have one of these?   How bout with some period optics like the old colt fixed 4x?   Hell even some modern optics and any other stuff on em.   I dont have any idea why but I really like the old style stuff alot better than the newer M4gery stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not really like the idea of wasted barrel and "retro tactical"ness but, one set up like the period XM with a 4x Colt scope would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody remember the site of the guy who sells authentic styled XM's and related stuff?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
that is the dumbest gun availble [:-)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
that is the dumbest gun availble [:-)]

I carried one many years ago in the AF.   Just nostalgic I guess and with the sunset and all I can finally have one......and an SP1 style rifle too.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive got one... Its a blast to shoot.. literally.. Big ass fireball!!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
How bad is accuracy at, say, 100 yards?

I'm getting a cheap 11.5/5.5 upper soon.... how bad can it be?

In terms of velocity and fragmentation... NOT a concern... its a plinker!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll post pics of my 10.5" if the photoserver comes back to life...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, I'd have thought more folks would have an old school CAR here.   I havent been in very many (exactly zero) gunfights with my ARs so the velocity/fragmentation loss is inconsequential to me.  

My ideal plinker/trunk/truck/fun rifle here will be 11.5/5.5 A1/SP1 slickside upper Colt fixed 4x, and 20 round mags.  No add ons, no lights, no lasers, no flip up anything, just a plain old CAR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I did the final assembly on this one right after midnight 9/13. I know, I know, it's stupid, ballistically inferior, yada yada...  But it's fun! And it has a pretty high coolness factor. Besides, I wanted something different from my other 8 AR's.

RRA stripped lower, Bushmaster everything else.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
you don't need to express your negative comments in such a negative manner.  

here is a picture of mine a few stages ago.  i'd be willing to bet my barrel is longer than almost any of yours.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
i will have pics come sat. i pick mine up from cmmg then. i will also post range report.  it will be used in or modcc shoot this weekend. im going give my m4 a rest. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
i have to agree with Mr45auto, i have a 10.5, but i prefer a fixed A1 stock,
runs fine, BIG fireball, and is deadly to milk jugs at 100 yds
lots of fun
rc
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah, now that the photoserver is up, here is my 10.5" barreled M16.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I don't care too much what the negatives are, but COOL factor is DEFINITELY enough reason to buy a gun.  These things are eat up with COOL!!

Doc
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
OK Fine.  Since noone is going to ask- my barrel is 16.1" and the Flash Supressor is for looks only- exactly what most of you are interested in anyway.  About one inch of the FS extends past the threaded barrel so that the slots will function.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]
you are looking for this
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand the coolness factor in an 10.5 inch barrel with a permanant 5.5 inch flash suppressor. I mean why? Can somebody explain it to me? How is it any cooler than a 14.5 inch barrel with a Phantom/Vortex or extended birdcage suppressor or a 16 inch barrel with any flash suppressor? I mean you've still got a long tube coming out of your rifle that has to be a minimum of 16 inches either way. Might as well put it to use.

Now if you go the SBR route, that's COMPLETELY different. Cool "little" gun btw Gunbert.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't understand the coolness factor in an 10.5 inch barrel with a permanant 5.5 inch flash suppressor. I mean why? Can somebody explain it to me? How is it any cooler than a 14.5 inch barrel with a Phantom/Vortex or extended birdcage suppressor or a 16 inch barrel with any flash suppressor? I mean you've still got a long tube coming out of your rifle that has to be a minimum of 16 inches either way. Might as well put it to use.

Now if you go the SBR route, that's COMPLETELY different. Cool "little" gun btw Gunbert.

Why should anyone have to explain anything to you? People build what they want, period. I have always like the old XM type CAR rifles. When the ban was sunsetting I said what the hell. I think it will make an awsome beater, behind the seat, close work rifle. What the hells wrong with that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#20]
JosephR, is that a slip on 5.5 flash hider , about 4" slips on before it gets to the threads ? I asking because I was thinking of getting one of those . Is it a prob to install ? Thx.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
JosephR-  That's what I thought you meant...Can you give a little more info on bbl, FH etc.  I'm looking at the BM, but trying to decide between HB and light bbl.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]

RRA "US property" lower, RRA 2-stage, RRA tac handle,  model 1 sales upper

halik
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should anyone have to explain anything to you? People build what they want, period. I have always like the old XM type CAR rifles. When the ban was sunsetting I said what the hell. I think it will make an awsome beater, behind the seat, close work rifle. What the hells wrong with that?

Yeah, I guess there's no reason to share ideas and discuss/debate different sides of things. Never mind the fact that I didn't say "what is the justification for such a thing." I asked why people thought it looked cool and further added that I thought 11.5 inch barrels looked cool, but not when they have a very long flash suppressor on them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I just assembled an EVIL 16" collapseable stock pencil bbl carbine and it looks goofy as hell.   I think a 5.5 slipover FH would make it look alot better.   hmmm...... the older setup just looks better.   I think with the slipover FH I'll have the best of both, longer bbl with shorter look.   Of course, I really need to build the old XM177 for real while the ban is dead.  I'll buy the sp1slickside with 11.5/5.5.  I might need help finding an early style lower to work with and of course a real Colt fixed 4x ot go with it.   I wonder if any old SP1 carbines will be reasonably priced now that ban is dead.....  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Damnit, every time you guys post pics like this I think about getting a XM177 kit rather than a 16 inch M4 kit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
M4 looks kinda ADU next to the old XM177's.  This is unless the M4 is well accessorized.   Plain jane the  XM is it, every time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
M4 looks kinda ADU next to the old XM177's.  This is unless the M4 is well accessorized.   Plain jane the  XM is it, every time.

What's ADU?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's ADU?

all dolled up?  all done up? take your pic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
The odd-ball compromise:  14.5" bbl + slip-over FH permanently attached = 16.1" total bbl length

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The odd-ball compromise:  14.5" bbl + slip-over FH permanently attached = 16.1" total bbl length

www.hunt101.com/img/177193.JPG

sweeeeeeeet.  that looks like one of my builds from awhile back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Sweet pic there Gunslinger, btw ADU=All Dicked Up.  

M4guy that is a nice setup, I like the A1 sights with the rifle.   There's alot of great looking setups shown here, the rig with the RRA handle looks sweet as well.   Of course the lil 10.5 is badass too.  The problem with this website and posting pics is that I always see new configurations I simply must have/build.  I'm up to 4 ARs and plan at least 4 more, damn near each day I see another one I'd like to have.   I'm suffering severe BRD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
JosephR-  That's what I thought you meant...Can you give a little more info on bbl, FH etc.  I'm looking at the BM, but trying to decide between HB and light bbl.

The barrel is supposedly a barrel that Olympic Sold way back when ...   It's 16.1" long and that is all I know.  I haven't been able to figure out what the twist is or if it is lined- it probably isn't chrome lined.  It's a pencil barrel from what people say...

BM=Bushmaster?  They make two versions of a barrel with a similar Flash hider?

IceMan_1:  yes, about 4" of is slides over the barrel.  It is not hard to install.  It came installed on the barrel and it wasn't until I tried twisting it really hard with my hands that I found out it was removable and that the barrel was NOT a skimpy 11.5".  For awhile, I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it on or not- once I dedided on the YHM FF handguard.  I really like the looks of it and had no way of knowing how well it supressed flash.  I decided I just HAD to have something else so I bought a 5g phantom (break version).

The best part of this barrel is that I can install, remove, and install another FH as many times as I want without breaking any laws.  

I don't know if you can see the FH enough in my pic to see that it has NO other machining on it besides the slots in the end.  There are no Rings around the rear or flattened sides for using a wrench.  

I really do understand why they would have developed a 11.5" barrel, but not whey they'd at another 5.5" of "moderator" to control the noise.  But then again, it was 4" shorter than the M16 rifles back in the 70's.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Sweet pic there Gunslinger, btw ADU=All Dicked Up.  

Awfully Damn Ugly ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#35]
A Dried-up Urinal?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Thx JosephR , appreciate the info, I'll have to get one of those .
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I have decided I have to have a flattop so my 11.5/5.5 upper is available for trade or sale in the trade forum if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's one of mine. As far as semi's go I would go with the slip over 5.5" flash hider.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Can pistol calibers come in and play?
This is my low buck beater. Oly arms A1 upper Mega 9mm marked lower. Now has colasping stock need new pics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thx JosephR , appreciate the info, I'll have to get one of those .

if you can find them.  I'm not sure if they are made anymore or not.  

good news is that when I get the 14.5" ban-style M4 cmmg barrel that i traded for comes in and i'm successful at removing the miculek and getting my phantom installed, I might be putting my barrel up for sale.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll put  my 11.5+5.5 photo up tonight...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#42]
ask the guy posting This Thread for pictures.  His might be just like mine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Well wasn’t going to post this pic at first because the intel hasn’t been declassified but what the he@%..
Picked this baby up a few months ago at a gunshow in XXXX from a Special Forces guy on leave from the XXXX. He is a member of the Yellow Berets, a new team working out of XXXth S.F. Division handpicked to deploy in the Banana Republic. Apparently there has been quite a conflict there that the general public is unaware of mainly because “we weren’t even there.”
Anyways they are selling their weapons at local shows because they just requisitioned the new Barrett 8.6cm rifles. These are the ones apparently running the new Tacpoint laser/dot guided rounds. Sorry but he couldn’t be any more specific than that at this time. He also threw in half a box of Extreme Shock ammo stating that 10 rounds should last forever. Apparently due to it’s terminal performance a single round can take out a squad sized group. Something about the way it shuts down a human’s central nervous system. He said what’s really frightening is this ammo pales in comparison to the new 8.6cm round. Scary Sh*^!!
I can still see him standing there as I left with my $2500.00 (its history alone worth 3 times that!) prize rifle, men like him that I thought no longer existed.
I took one final glance as I headed out the door with Bob Segar’s Against the Wind playing over the pa system & could see him standing there in the yellow fatigues with the palm fronds strategically duct taped on his boonie & knew we were safe thanks to men like him!    

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#44]
is that your $2500 rifle?  

i didn't know barret was making anything over 2cm.  have this guys give me a jingle.  i'm in search of something that can fire the 86mm rounds i've been reloading.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, all joking aside that is my XM177.
Going to the Gunshow this weekend, maybe the Yellow Beret will be there & give me a lead on the 86mm stuff!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top