User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 10:17:52 PM EDT

maybe purchasing a few thousand rounds from cabelas in WV

i know the old stuff is junk, so does cabelas carry the new stuff?

is the new ammo any better?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf ammo is not compatable with American firearms.

The ammo causes many guns to be ticking time bombs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Something is wrong when superior American materials can't handle cheap Russian stuff.

Unless you're using a match rifle, Wolf should be no problem for your AR.  And I believe Cabela's does carry the polymer coated stuff, not laquer coated.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
beating a dead horse?

i asked a question...got about one and a half usefull answers
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i asked a question...got about one and a half usefull answers

Hit the search, get a bunch.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it.  See how it works in your rifle.  It does make more of a mess in your BCG.  It works in mine.

TS
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
read a good thread on it,  i think im gonna buy a case of it and try it, if it works out good, ill buy a few more cases.  

well sounds like some good plinking ammo, all im looking for......
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
its pretty much all i shoot! my gun eats the 55gr fmj stuff all day long.  500+ rounds in a session no lubing nothing and its good to go ir 0 problems!

now the 62gr BHPs tend to be a little less reliable as far as feeding goes. and that not just in my gun 2 of my other buddies has feeding problems with it too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Here we go again...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
where is the cabelas in WV I'm coming from philly on the turnpike then down 81 on thurs

and the ammo is fine I want to stop and pick up another 1000rnds

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't you guys get the memo that LeMas is the new Wolf.  You can stop beating up on Wolf and go after them...

TS
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Fact: Wolf is approved by Bushmaster for use in their AR's.

That said- I do not shoot it.  I pay a little extra to shoot brass-cased ammo- out of habit more than anything.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Wolf 62gr HP wont cycle my new build w/m-16 BCG,And cycles slow in another.Groups opened up by several inches over green tip.I wasn't happy with it.Im starting a nice collection of WWB from Wally World.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
It makes up 98% of what I shoot.  Not one problem.  Burned up both the laquer and powder coated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Wolf is fine in any AR...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
where is the cabelas in WV I'm coming from philly on the turnpike then down 81 on thurs

and the ammo is fine I want to stop and pick up another 1000rnds

Route 70 in wheeling... Its a very nice place that you could spend the whole day at...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Since I'm already here,, does the WOLF .223 have a hidden steel jacketed bullet like the 7.62x39 ammo?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I am working through my 4th case of the "old 55gr. stuff" that I bought cheap 5 yrs ago and haven't had any problems what so ever. I've used it in 3 different ARs and it runs fine. I have also been using the Winchester stuff from Walley World recently too. Both are OK as far as I am concerned. The Wolf is dirtyer but I clean after every session so its no big deal for me. I could not see much difference in the groups from either. I like to break in an AR on M193 though 'cause its a little stouter than either it seems to me. Hell, I'll keep using the Wolf, I got 2 1/2 cases left and I'm used to the smell!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
My AR's run like clockwork,  no matter what ammo I use.

Shoot Wolf and see what you think.  I use it as training/practice ammo.  I personally wouldn't load up a 30 round mag full of Black Hills 77g just to practice double taps and target acquisition.

It should run fine in your gun,  if not then worry about your gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Its cheap, its plinker accuracy, its dirty and it stinks, I have never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
It is bad for little children.....and it promotes global warming.  Also, the Amazon forest is slightly smaller now that you mentioned Wolf ammunition...AWWWW DAMN!  Now I mentioned it too!!!!

Answer.  Works fine in almost all ARs.  Some avoid it for fear the steel casing will wear components designed to work with softer brass casings....

I don't shoot it cause I can find WWB value packs at Wally world for pretty cheap IMO and I'm just not a fan of steel casings...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]

All I know is that it works good in my 20+ year old Colt 1/12 SP1 barrel. So I'm gonna keep using it no matter what people say about it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Its so bad that the only guys left who uses it are idots named wgjhsafT.  Since that's my name, I'll take your order off of you for nothing!

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Its cheap, its plinker accuracy, its dirty and it stinks, I have never had a problem with it.

+1 buy a crap-load of it and shoot the hell out of it..It runs great in my RRA..   I'll Say it>> most guys that bag on Wolf-ammo are usually the same guys that bag on any AR other than Colt, and think any pistol other than glock is a POS,... They are the ones that seem to think that if you cant freeze it,  Beat it, Throw it off a building, run over it with a truck, drop it out of an airplane, bury it in mud, shoot it with other guns to see if its worthy for enough for them to use. ... LOL  that was all in good fun so dont get all pissy-
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
The newer Wolf ammo is just fine.  I've ran thousands of rounds through my AR...and my friend have all used it in their AR's.  None of us have ever had any kind of problem with it.  It's not the most accurate...but it's great for plinking.

With all of the lawyer happy people out there today...don't you think if it was bad stuff that would tear up your weapon and possibly cause you personal injury....the stuff would be banned from the US and everyone and their mom would be taking Wolf ammo to court???

It's just fine.....just run it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Wolf always seems to work for me.

I like it and use plenty of it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Best practice ammo since uncle sam dont pay for mine.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
If your AR wont eat it get another AR...its a combat rifle and should eat anything you feed it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
with brass cased ammo 2-3 dollars more a box (in alaska), I'll stick to wolf.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#33]
IT IS GREAT - send it o me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#34]
i've been through about 3k of it 55gr and 62gr in my bushmaster 20in with no problems definatly not the most accuret but good for plinking is alittle dirty but i will continue to use
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
ran a littler over 1000 rounds of the stuff thru my buddies bushmaster in one sitting.
ran perfect. My RRA hasnt had a chance to be shot much (only 100 rounds so far) but im ordering 1000 rounds soon
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hahaha.......that always cracks me up
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Check out the ammo forum tacked threads for the current best deals on most of the popular .223 or 5.56 ammo.  I think sportsmans guide has the best deal on wolf currently (have to consider sales tax, shipping, etc).  If you are buying in bulk it is worth shopping around.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#38]
My Colt M4 dosent like it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I've shot all sorts of ammo through both of my AR-15 platforms.  I reload my own occasionally when I have entirely nothing else on the planet to do.  I have shot all varieties of wolf ammo from my rifles as well with no incidents.  Whilst I wouldn't use the wolf ammo as a primary defense ammo I find it quite suitable for making lots of noise and dirtying up my rifle.  Saying that I niether recommend it nor do I discount it.  I feel it is not as powerful as other brands of ammo I have fired, but it will penetrate quite deep all the same.  It seems to have an awful smell though.  Out of all of the ammo I have fired the only stuff that seems to have made a truly bad impression is some S&B stuff made in Spain and some stuff made by PMC.  The S&B seems out of spec and doesn't seem consistent and the PMC I fired was even worse with a few misfires.  Possibly defunct ammo, or just plain crap as I got it on the cheap from a local pawn shop.  Oh yea, I once bought some WWB 55 grain softpoint ammo.  This stuff in my opinion was pure crap as well.

These are just my opinions and observations,
your own may vary,
Good Luck,
Wes
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
... Fuck if i know, but I'm blasting away tons of it on weekends, waiting for my catastrophic failure so that I can upgrade to a new upper receiver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#41]
The only russian ammo I have ever had a problem with was Silver Bear and only in my bushy 16,my Colt will gobble up anything you feed her!!  It's dirty and stinks like hell(not near as dirty or smelly as that  Guatamalie crap)!

Still works great in my sporter!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+87

Seriously, I'm sure someone has said this, (cause I ain't reading it all)

"search is your friend"

&

"look in the AMMO forum"

Welcome aboard, and whatever you do next....don't ask which is better 9mm or .45ACP.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Wolf will wear out your AR twice as fast because you can afford to shoot it twice as much...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Wolf will wear out you AR twice as fast because you can afford to shoot it twice as much...

Its true.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I shoot tons of Wolf ammo.  I go through a lot of ammo in a work capacity (T&E and R&D work) and whenever I get the chance I love to blast away for recreation and I Love the Wolf ammo.  I shoot tens of thousands of rounds each year and I don't recall ever having a malfunction due to using Wolf ammo.  Their new Polyformance stuff works great and I have not heard any bad stories from anyone since they adopted that coating.

Something you may find interesting (I sure did) happened during some testing of the new Vector V51 SBR.  I was doing some muzzle velocity testing with different types of 7.62x51mm NATO to try and answer some of the SBR questions I often see asked but seldom answered.  The most consistent ammo I used was the new Wolf Gold.  The extreme spread in the sample strings I fired was HALF of the next best, the Lake City Special Ball!  I think that says quite a lot.

Anyway, I use lots of the stuff and have great luck with it.  I hope this helps.

Jeff Z
Small Arms Review Magazine

Is the Wolf Gold line made by by Prvi Partizan in Serbia, or is it made in Russia? From reading the ammo forum, Wolf made by Prvi is better that the Russian wolf. That was comparing the Wolf m193 to the Wolf poly coated ammo though, so I do not know if that would be the same comparison.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Buy 100 rounds and try it.  If it shoots with no problem, buy another 100 rounds and shoot it again, repeat until you are convinced it will function in your rifle (or not).  Then buy a few thousand rounds.

It runs fine in my rifles, and I shoot a lot of it if I am just out plinking.  I dont use it for defensive purposes, though.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#48]
i have never had a problem with it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Have never shot the .223. The .45ACP gummed my gun up so bad I had to send it to the smithy to get it apart and cleaned. Gave the balance of 250 rds to another Oficer I work with that has an "old" SA 1911 with thousands of rounds through it and his gun wouldn't cycle it, period. One shot one jam, every time. I just don't have the heart to try in either AR. Glad somebody likes it though cause it is cheap!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I buy all my pinking ammo from cabelas, and it's always Wolf, never had any problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top