Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 8/9/2009 7:26:50 PM EST
Soak them in bleach in the sink? In a sock through the washing machine?

What's your method?
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 7:38:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 9:17:56 PM EST
The blond ain't havin them in the washing machine...

I sort of agree with her.

I noticed mine are getting filthy and not doing that great of a job cleaning the barrels.

A quick clean up, good. Detail, no good.

I've been CLP'n my snakes and squeezing the excess (and dirt) out with paper towels. It seems to work but I think its time some of them went on...

Any reason to shop!
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 2:58:08 AM EST
I have an old washing machine hooked up in the basement for cleaning garage rags, extremely filthy clothes, etc. I throw the boresnakes in there now and then.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 3:04:40 AM EST
Dishwasher works as long as the wife doesn't notice it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 11:10:26 AM EST
Garment bag in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 2:13:41 PM EST
Well, there's no need to use bleach, which might actually be corrosive to the embedded brushes or the synthetic fibers of the snake. We're not trying to remove stains, but the build up of oils and bore crud.

Try either one of these two methods which work very well:

A) Put the snake in a mayonnaise jar with a couple of inches of mineral spirits (paint thinner). Shake vigorously for a few minutes. If it's really dirty, let it soak a while before you start shaking. Squeeze out the excess solvent and then blot it with an absorbent rag and hang up to dry. The dirty solvent can be left in the jar. The crud will settle out and the clearer liquid can be drawn off for the next use.

B) Same as above, but use hot water with a healthy dose of Simple Green or Krud Kutter or similar degreaser. Dispose of the dirty liquid and repeat with a hot rinse.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 5:25:10 PM EST
I've been spraying down with synthetic safe bore scrubber and wipe with rag. I use the snake for a quck field clean on my shotgun, so I don't care if the snake isn't super clean.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 8:05:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By FuelFireDesire85:
I've been spraying down with synthetic safe bore scrubber and wipe with rag. I use the snake for a quck field clean on my shotgun, so I don't care if the snake isn't super clean.

I do similar using brake cleaner (often in the pan that I catch the finial rinse).
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 8:42:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By AGW:
You clean them?

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:42:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By BigW1stCav:
Soak them in bleach in the sink? In a sock through the washing machine?

What's your method?

This.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 7:48:45 PM EST
I tried the washing machine method once....was nailed by the ring and oil slick left in the tub.I'll just say that washing machines are a pain to field strip when you get busted.
What little use I have for a bore snake(field cleaning only)I just soak them in hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket.Rinse,wring and air dry.GTG
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 1:52:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2009 6:30:48 PM EST by chadwick76]
lingeria bag (however you spell it) walmart $1.69 in the ironing board section
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 2:01:26 AM EST
If it gets bad enough to clean, I toss and buy another.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 12:46:36 PM EST
I have a boresnake for cleaning my boresnake...
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 4:33:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blankwaffe98:
I tried the washing machine method once....was nailed by the ring and oil slick left in the tub.I'll just say that washing machines are a pain to field strip when you get busted.
What little use I have for a bore snake(field cleaning only)I just soak them in hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket.Rinse,wring and air dry.GTG

I used the wash machine no prob, bucket/Dawn/hose works, Dawn/water in a old peanut butter jar-shake, but I always soap/presoak and ring out first to get most CLP out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 4:40:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By strat81:
Garment bag in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle.

This. Standard washing detergent and a little Dawn.

I assume they have a lifespan and replace them when they get funky.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 6:34:55 PM EST
here you go, walmart $1.69
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 1:45:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 10:05:01 AM EST
Spray with solvent .like Gunscrubber or brake cleaner, then wash in the sink with hot water and dishsoap. Nothing complicated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 10:22:21 AM EST
I hope you all know that these things DO deteriorate and weaken, especially if you use chemicals or too much laundering.

When they weaken, they break off in the bore and you usually can't pull them back out without the other end breaking off too..
The bore snake manufacturers have NO recommended method of extracting a jammed snake as a number of people have discovered the hard way..
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:23:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pro2AinPA:

I have an old washing machine hooked up in the basement for cleaning garage rags, extremely filthy clothes, etc. I throw the boresnakes in there now and then.

IMO, ^ this ^ is really the ideal setup ... however, most people probably don't have an extra washing machine in their house.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:50:20 PM EST
tie them up inside an old pillowcase and wash them in a coin laundry place......
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:29:49 PM EST
Dishsoap and water in the kitchen sink by hand. Maybe once a year, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:48:36 PM EST
I just wash it in the sink...
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 1:22:26 AM EST
You have to clean them?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 4:02:18 AM EST
I leave them unopened in the bag they come in and then use a cleaning rod. Keeps them very clean. Don't overlook the super cleaner TSP (trisodium phosphate) which painters use to wash down items before painting them. TSP is a terrific dirt, grease, and oil cleaner. I get it at the hardware store. I would mix up a quart of TSP and hot water, soak the snake, then agitate it a bit, then rinse well in very hot water. Problem solved. This stuff also works great to clean rags from the gun room.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:48:17 AM EST
>Dishsoap and water in the kitchen sink by hand. Maybe once a year, maybe.

Me, too. Note that you then have to clean the ring around the sink after you're done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:49:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2009 6:50:39 AM EST by markm]
Dishsoap and water in the kitchen sink by hand

Dishwasher works as long as the wife doesn't notice it.

In a sock through the washing machine?

I see several folks here ate lead paint chips as kids and are now addicted to lead.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:23:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By Locoweed:
I leave them unopened in the bag they come in and then use a cleaning rod. Keeps them very clean. Don't overlook the super cleaner TSP (trisodium phosphate) which painters use to wash down items before painting them. TSP is a terrific dirt, grease, and oil cleaner. I get it at the hardware store. I would mix up a quart of TSP and hot water, soak the snake, then agitate it a bit, then rinse well in very hot water. Problem solved. This stuff also works great to clean rags from the gun room.

TSP sounded great to me.

Boresnakes soaking now.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:00:39 AM EST
I generally clean mine along with the rest of me when I shower. Just kidding. Actually, I clean them in the sink with dish detergent.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:06:29 AM EST
Mesh bag in the washing machine. I throw it in with my jeans.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:17:42 PM EST
after drying a few air cleaners for my bike in the dryer and the following repercussions I tend to leave my wifes tools alone

hot water/dish soap/and an old pickle jar works just fine for me
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:26:33 PM EST
I wash mine in the sink with Dawn.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:28:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 8:29:46 AM EST by Jim_X]
Originally Posted By chadwick76:
here you go, walmart $1.69

Do you put your wife's panties in the Lingerie Bag along with the Bore Snakes? I'll bet she would never even notice you using the washer to clean your Bore Snakes. Good man!
Top Top