Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2003 6:39:21 PM EDT
Hi, I have Access to A couple of Colt M16A1 Carriers for little to No Money. I would like to modify them to be legal in a AR15 Type Rifle, I have ground Carriers before to duplicate Early Colt AR15 & Really want to Retain as much mass as possible. My Basic Questions is, How do I Make a hole over top of where the auto-sear would be, because they are hardened......mill? If anybody comes up with a way, let me know please! Thanks, Tim
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The M16 carrier is legal in an AR15. Lots of people use them. The AR carrier was a useless modification Colt created to cover their asses.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The issue is the ability to trip an auto sear.  The shrouded firing pin really doesn't factor in anyones legal/illegal questions.  At least one of the "national match" carriers has this shroud.

If you feel the need to modify it to stay far on the safe legal side, GRIND away most of the rear shelf.

These things are hard enough to make short work of a favorite US made expensive HSS endmill.

Once you grind away most of the material you want to remove, finish cutting it with a CARBIDE endmill.

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:02:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Is a Unmodified M16 Carrier legal in a Ar15?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
In a word, yes (as far as federal). If you want more information, there was a thread earlier that beat this subject to death, complete with real lawyers expounding; you can do a search for it. I forget which forum it was in, though.

Nevermind, I found it:

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440[/url]

Get a cup of coffee, a cigar, and your slippers and footstool, it's a long read.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
b0ne,

Thanks for digging this thread from the archives.  You be the one !!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Aside from the legal issues, which I won't get into....

The M16 carrier is hard. I mean HARD. I doubt a grinding wheel will make a mark on it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If it bothers you sell them on ebay and buy an AR15 carrier.  Those guys on ebay pay silly amounts of money for M16 parts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top