Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:31:55 PM EDT
How Much ammo do you keep in case shtf and how long should you keep ammo, providing you keep it in a nice hospitable place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I would need more than 1-2k for SHTF, but I would collect 10 times that to avoid future price increases.

I plan to keep mine for 30+ years without rotating it out.  It is already in striper clips and bandoleers, and I have lose ammo for shooting.  Perhaps every 5-10 years I would shoot up a few hundred rounds of SHTF ammo to ensure no FTF.  If at any time it shows worse reliability than new, I would rotate it all out for new.  Like I said before though, the way I have it stored, I don't expect to be able to tell the difference until 30+ years.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How Much ammo do you keep in case shtf and how long should you keep ammo, providing you keep it in a nice hospitable place.

Realistically, I think more than 1K rounds of SHTF is a waste. I have 840 rounds in clips and Bando's in a 30 Gal. Ammo can packed "GI" style. I also have 210 rounds on my Web Gear and in the mag. well.

You're going to have a lot of important stuff to haul in your vehicle (if you can get to your vehicle) like food and water to take up a lot of room for ammo. If you can't get away from the problems after 1,000 rounds, you're probably dead already. Think about it.

That being said, i have about 3,000 rounds of what could be classified as SHTF, but it's more for shooting in the future years, and to buffer supply shortages. I am an avid reloader for my AR, and figure i have enough brass that with case trimming, will last me 20 years. (I also have 10,000 rounds of procssed Gi brass).

I'm also planning for 30 years of shelf life in my "Dark, Dry, and Cool" storage environment. This is the secret! Everything I have read says that 30 years is not a problem.

I think it's important to remember that IMHO, SHTF ammo includes hunting ammo as well as "Human Ammo". If you can shoot, 200 rounds should be enough for a few years hunting in the field.

Tack
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
2500 rounds (SHTF, not total), and if it's kept in a cool dry place devoid of temp/humidity changes (like mine is) it should outlast all of us...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top