Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2006 2:26:14 PM EDT
Well? 2K, 5K, 10k, never? How about new product?

Some of the "new" product I'm seeing is not to impressive save for the real high end stuff. Sure I have some of that, but I'm not putting back 10K of stuff that costs $15+ a box either.

OTOH, some older surp is excellent stuff with a long track record of reliability and some declare they would not trust it over new stuff.

So, whats your take on this subject?

Me, I would have no problem trusting some of the "surp" I have in 30/06, 7.62x51 or 5.56.  After thousands of rounds I've yet to have a single failure to fire, it's all ejected and fed fine, and it's plenty accurate for most any SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I love surplus ammo
my FAVORITE is SANTA BARBRA SS109 acts like a BTHP

For SHTF I will use only FRESH ammo like Black hills 75gr or Hornady 75 TAP!

I do admitt of haveing some BLEMS MK 262

Q3131 or XM193 I will use as a back up

Why trust surplus with your life when there is BETTER ammo to be HAD
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup!

roger that
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I love surplus ammo

Looks like the military is shit out of luck then, because I was routinely handling ammo produced in the 60's.  5.56, 7.62, .50 cal, 20MM, 2.75", 5" rocket motors, warheads and bombs.  

If that is not SHTF ammo, I'm not sure what is.

Age is no predictor of quality, except for CAD's (Cartridge Actuated Devices) such as window cutters, fire extinguishers, cable cutters, ejector racks, vests.  Those had drop-dead shelf, open and installed lives.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love surplus ammo

Looks like the military is shit out of luck then, because I was routinely handling ammo produced in the 60's.  5.56, 7.62, .50 cal, 20MM, 2.75", 5" rocket motors, warheads and bombs.  

If that is not SHTF ammo, I'm not sure what is.

Age is no predictor of quality, except for CAD's (Cartridge Actuated Devices) such as window cutters, fire extinguishers, cable cutters, ejector racks, vests.  Those had drop-dead shelf, open and installed lives.

No way man, if the front line troops arent getting 75 grain TAP they are all going to die!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like to ensure it functions in MY rifles.

500 or so, then go for it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If I burn through a whole case without a misfunction, I get another case, shoot a few MAGS of it to make sure it runs flawlessly as well, and then mark it good to go.

Edit: Fixed my horrendous error.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I burn through a whole case without a misfunction, I get another case, shoot a few clips of it to make sure it runs flawlessly as well, and then mark it good to go.

Heh, heh, you said "clip"!

Other than that, I agree on your logic because SHTF ammo is no good if it isn't tested.  Also, as granddaddy always said, the deadliest round is the one you practice with.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
RORG all the way!
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
load em up and shoot em out
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Surplus or new it gets the same test.

196 rnds (7 mags loaded with 28 rounds) through each rifle. Even one ammo related failure and the rest gets reclassified into the plinking ammo role and never used for training or duty use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#11]
It depends on if I have better ammo when the zombies attack.  Noramally, I figure a few hundred rounds without a malfunction would make me trust the ammo.  Besides, that's what they teach immiedate action drills for.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy it cheap...stack it deep!

This should be the motto here!

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love surplus ammo

In what way does the Santa Barbara act like a BTHP?  Accuracy? Fragmentation? ?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top