Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 7:36:03 AM EDT
Bear with us poor folks who got into the AR game during the ban. I just put together an M4 upper...and this was my first no ban barrel.

I bought an A2 flash hider and crush washer. I tightened the flash hider to hand tight, then went around about 1 and 1/2 revolutions to tighten it to the right position. It's plenty tight, and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon...but I'm wondering, since I've never done it before, how far are you supposed to go when tightening them? The crush washer does show signs of being crushed, but there is still a ways to go by the looks of things.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:31 AM EDT
You can go until there is no more crush, then you will notice a marked increase in torque with no movement. That's because you can't crush it anymore. I tried to reuse a crush washer on a different barrel/FH setup and found this little tidbit out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:20:26 AM EDT
Some will argue the point but the crush washer is to be crushed only as far as it takes to index the flash hider

Tighten the FH hand tight then crush to:

A2 flash hider should have the unopened side towards the bottom with the wrench flats verticle

A1 flash hider should have the wrench flats verticle
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:45:25 AM EDT
thanks for the replies...bear in mind I did this without a barrel vise...only using an action block. I did not want to have to crank down with copious amounts of force.

As it is, I'm guessing it would take an act of Congress to get the thing off of there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:03:20 AM EDT
Tight is tight , just so it doesnt move easily.

My understanding is the cruch part is just for properly indexing the A2 flash hider so that the solid part is down. This keeps a dust signature to a minimum when firing from a prone position.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:05:11 AM EDT
tighten only enough to index. you can't make a second revolution without bottoming it out. you'll end up ruining it and having to get another. it's not like a lock washer you get from the hardware store. it's for indexing and has a built in lock/spring effect.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:07:01 PM EDT
i tighten enough to index the flash hider.
Top Top