Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/11/2004 8:04:50 PM EST
Hello,

I am considering buying a PRI Flip UP Front Sight/Gas Block as shown below:

Can anyone who has one of these give me their opinions on it? How easy is it to install? Does it produce a good sight picture??? Do you like to shoot with it??? And any other info you think is relevant. Just your honest opinion as to whether this is a good product or not.

I would appreciate any and all info you could provide... and I thank you for your time.

CK
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:36:06 PM EST
Have no experience w/ the PRI, but you may want to consider the GG&G, as you get a sling swivel, rail, and bayo lug built in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/gt_mule/3f5b411b.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/gt_mule/7dd4ee25.gif
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:54:25 PM EST
Wow thanks for the info on the GG&G, I did not know that.

However, I don't think I would use the rail on my front sight to mount anything... I would use my Free Float tube to do that, and it will be installed on a 16" barrel, so the bayo lug would go to waste ....

but, an interesting product, and thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:06:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:11:00 PM EST
I like mine pretty much, but it comes with a seriously too thick post. Troy makes an interesting rail mounted flip up too. Add cost of a low profile gas block and the price comes out almost the same for PRI or Troy+gas block.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:15:12 PM EST
Thanks guys... appreciate the info... very helpful.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:09:15 AM EST
I put one on my Bushy Modular and I love it. It probably took me 25 minutes to change out my sight tower to the PRI unit. I highly recomend it to anyone.

Just my .02
MadDog
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:39:54 AM EST
PRIs are the easiest to mount on any barrel, especially the cross bolt designed one that has the cross bolts pass under the barrel. Both the GG&G and the KAC require taper pin installation - much harder to do, but both the GG&G and the KAC have bayonet lugs, for those that can't live without one. The KAC is a very rare beast in the civvy world, sort of like a unicorn, supposedly they exist, but have you ever seen one - well maybe that's a stretch, buy hey.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:01:43 AM EST
Where can I buy the PRIs ,the web site,Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:19:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2004 7:22:51 AM EST by RAMBOSKY]
I'm going to get the PRI when I have some extra money burning a hole in my pocket. Right now I have the YHM flip up front sight gas block and it does what I need it to for $100.00 less. But I can't breach doors with it like you can the PRI.

It's hard to see it in this picture but you can go to the YHM web site.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:01:41 AM EST
I have 4 pri front sights and a have installed 2 YHM front sights. My current project is a superlite and has a PRI front sight only because YHM doesnt make (or at least I havent seen one) that fits a superlite diameter barrel.

The PRI's. The first ones had 2 allen headed cross bolts that required the installer to grind/dremel/file (to enlarge) the notches in the barrel where the taper pins from the factory FSB had been - at least I had to do this to my colt and bushy barrelled rifles.

The next PRI I bought had 4 screws that tighten against the barrel (2 on each side). Definitely an improvement since it didnt require barrel mods and seems as secure as the cross bolts in their first version. It also allows one to remove the sight and reinstall the factory FSB.

My newest PRI, for the superlite, has cross bolts that are low enough that they dont require mods to the barrel. I like this the best, but I dont know personally if this is specific to the superlight sight or PRI is doing this for all of them.

Overall I like the PRI's. I have noticed that the newer one has the least lateral play when raised. The first one's I purchased have a noticeable amount of lateral play.

The YHM: At about 1/2 the price, I wish they made one for a superlite! They are as nice in finish and construction as the PRI's. I dont really like the greyish finish for its color, but thats the only thing I bad I can say about them. They are tighter with respect to lateral movement than the PRI's. The mounting system is different in that the secruring screws are on the bottom and the sight is very tight on the barrel. Pretty much everyone Ive talked with that has put one on comments on how tight they fit.

Dont overlook the YHM front folders when considering your options, its an excellent sight.

Call Jason at www.jtacsupply.com and he should be able to hook you up either way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:54:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By 4gma:
Dont overlook the YHM front folders when considering your options, its an excellent sight.

I have a YHM front folder for sale over on EE if you're interested: My Ad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:04:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Pat-Riot:
I like mine pretty much, but it comes with a seriously too thick post. Troy makes an interesting rail mounted flip up too. Add cost of a low profile gas block and the price comes out almost the same for PRI or Troy+gas block.

Is this a Mil-spec sight post?; i.e. does it unscrew for easy replacement?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:39:13 AM EST
tag
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:03:42 PM EST

I dont really like the greyish finish for its color, but thats the only thing I bad I can say about them

The new stuff coning out from YHM is now much darker in color; in fact you could call it "black"...

And, they are soon coming out with a gas block/foding front sight with a bayonet lug.

I like these YHM units a lot, and I've had the PRI too.
Top Top