Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:48:24 PM EDT
It seems to be plentiful and I can get it on clips in bandoleers.  How much trouble is the corrosiveness of this stuff anyway?  And what's the best way to clean a Garand that you've fired this stuff through?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have picked up a bunch of KA brass shortly after fella fired it here in Garand at local funshoot, it appear to be mild corrosive, as I seen the necks in the cases turn white/blue inside, but I talke and flood them with WINDEX,  then rinse, and run in wet tumbler with dish soap as a final wash.

If you do indeed choose to take advantage of the inexpensive ammo, flood the bore with WINDEX (per the belt feed guys), rinse with hot soapy water, the clean as normal.  I would oil the bore to keep it wet when done.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
corrosive = corrosive.

KA stamped ammo is corrosive. i found out the hard way, after it was sold as non-corrosive to me by a company that shall remain nameless.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not all KA ammo is corrosive. Some KA72 and KA73 are supposed to be non-corrosive.

I just clean as usual, and haven't had any problems. Corrosive really means that the primers contain cholrate salts. The residue is highly hygroscopic (attracts water), which causes rusting. All you need to do is clean out the primer residue, and you're golden. Hot water, mechanical scrubbing- either will work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks folks.  I figured it wasn't "your bore will rust in seconds" corrosive, but I wanted a sanity check to make sure.  The note about Windex makes a lot of sense, since it has both amonia and alcohol in it and thus dissolves stuff like salts pretty well.  And Zhukov, thanks for the endorsement.  I'll probably head back tomorrow and take advantage-but this dealer seems to have the stuff all the time so if I don't make it, it's ok too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have picked up a bunch of KA brass shortly after fella fired it here in Garand at local funshoot, it appear to be mild corrosive, as I seen the necks in the cases turn white/blue inside, but I talke and flood them with WINDEX,  then rinse, and run in wet tumbler with dish soap as a final wash.

If you do indeed choose to take advantage of the inexpensive ammo, flood the bore with WINDEX (per the belt feed guys), rinse with hot soapy water, the clean as normal.  I would oil the bore to keep it wet when done.

You don't want to use amonia based cleaners on brass as it weakens the brass.

Only if you let it sit.  The amonia in Windex isn't that strong anyway-just enough to cut window crap.  It's not like Brasso or other highly amoniated cleaners.

Good point for "cleaning brass," but for washing it out, Windex shouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
How do you clean an M1 oprod/gas system after using corrosive ammo?  Tell me you don't need to strip the gun completely to get in there!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do you clean an M1 oprod/gas system after using corrosive ammo?  Tell me you don't need to strip the gun completely to get in there!

Yes, you do!

Yuck.  I'll stick to the LC or PS ammo I've got.  That way I can control how often I remove the action!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1, I am almost certain that you have to clean the gas system when shooting corr. ammo in an M1.  I don't mind shooting corrosive in my K98 Mauser, because I can just pull the bolt, spray windex down the barrel, run a patch through it, then run a patch with Hoppe's #9 through it and I'm done.

The M1 on the other hand, is not worth the bother.  If the ammo was 5 cents a round I might do it.  The CMP sells good ammo for fair price that is non corrosive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#12]
a little corrosive is like a little pregnant.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
a little corrosive is like a little pregnant.

Word!

I'm not squeemish about tearing the Garand down far enough to clean everything that needs it; they're built to make that fairly simple.

As for the Windex thing, I've been thinking about it and since I've used Dawn dish soap to clean sizing lube off of cases forever, I don't really see a need to do much more than that to desalt cases to start with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not worth the headache to shoot the KA stuff, last batch I got KA -72 grouped at arround 8"
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I used M-Pro7 to clean a K98 after firing some truly ratty 8mm ammo. No problems after shooting corrosive ammo. Much faster than using soapy water. Call the good folks at M-Pro to confirm, if you wish.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you do!

Yuck.  I'll stick to the LC or PS ammo I've got.  That way I can control how often I remove the action!

+1

I'll stick my reloads in there too.  LC or PS cases with Fed 210 primers, 46 gr of H4895 and Hornady 150 gr FMJBT bullets makes for accuracy that GI Ball can't even dream of making all for a pretty reasonable price.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top