Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2003 8:40:21 AM EDT
Has anyone used this ammo?

HotShot SS109, 62g 20-Rd Box Military Penetrator

Cheaper Than Dirt is featuring it and I was wondering if it was worth the added expense over Q3131A? Is this acutally a penetrating round or is that hype?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It is real SS109/855 ammo.  Read the ammo faq if this doesn't answer your question.
Mild steel penetrator, 62 grain; hot.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've put around 400 rounds thru my Bushmaster M4 14.5" with no problems at all.  I'm not sure of velocites but it seems pretty hot and groups well.  It did seem a tad dirty, maybe too much CLP before firing?  Basically I liked it and so did my rifle, buy some and give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I like this ammo too. Really not a bad price for what you get. I just ordered some more. Speaking of dirty ammo....do you remember a few years back when PMC offered "M193" for 2 bucks a box? It came in a camo box. Didn't mean to get off topic.....just had to ask.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried some of the Hot Shot SS109 today,it wasn't bad but  I thought it was a little wimpy at first. It does not bark like the XM193's or American Eagle 62gr, but I will use it again
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Just came back from the range and tested some of the Hot Shot SS109 against LC XM193 through my Bushmaster M4gery(14.5" w/Combat brake).  I thought that the Hot Shot was definitely not as loud as the XM193 nor did it produce the huge fireball but the accuracy was a tad better than the very accurate XM193.  At 50 yds using an EO tech the XM193 was grouping around 1.5" and the Hot Shot was slightly better than that every time with a couple five shot groups that had four shots making one hole and a flyer bringing it out to 1.25"   All in all the Hot Shot is great stuff and is shiny clean ammo and looks new as opposed to the usual tarnished appearance of the XM193.  I will be buying more of this.   YMMV
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone cronoed this stuff to see how hot it actually is?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It did seem a tad dirty, maybe too much CLP before firing?
View Quote

Actually, I got a case of the stuff and shot some last weekend. I found that it was a bit dirty too. I ran a rag around the inside chamber of my AR with a little CLP on it and it came out pitch black. On the positive side, I didnt have any ff/fe problems. It was shooting about 1.5 in groups at 100yds, iron sights (and I hadnt been shooting in a while, so my sight picture was off and my breathing pattern was corrupt).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top