Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2002 4:40:17 PM EDT
Today i was at the range with my ArmaLite.  I noticed a guy shooting next to me with a CAR, but he looked pissed.  So, (being the nice guy i am) i asked him if anything was wrong.  He said he couldn't hit the target at 100 yards.  So, i helped him sight in his scope.  He had little to no idea what he was doing with it at all, but after i had helped him get 2 inch groups, he insisted that he give me 20 rounds of wolf ammo.  I would rather shit in my barrel than shoot that, but he wouldn't take no for an answer and to make him feel good i took it.
    After 6 shots, it jammed and i couldn't unjam her.  I tried every trick in the book, and had to resort to bringing it back to my gunsmith where i bought it to get it fixed.  He almost punched me when i told him it was a Wolf.  Short story long, never, ever, shoot wolf ammo.  I may be dirt cheap but it isnt worth the crap that comes out of a bulls ass.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf ammo... another great internet myth.  I stopped counting how may cases my ArmaLite rifles, 5 of them, have eaten without any failures.  If it doesn't work in your rifle find out why.  Some shooters do seem to have problems with Wolf and instead of determining the why of the problem, call the ammo junk.  

Wolf is a bit underpowered and burns dirtier than LC.  Fact.  Older ArmaLite rifles often have a 'match' chamber, all of mine did.  Polish the chamber.  Don't worry about the 'lacquer' myth either.  I gave up trying to make it happen.  Polish the chamber, shoot Wolf and be happy...

Oh... My Kimber .45's HATED Wolf at first.  Properly tensioned the extractors and they'll shoot Wolf all day now...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of people gripe about Wolf ammo. IF you don't like it, Don't use it.

I will never use wolf ammo in my SP1. However, i use wolf ammo exclusively in my MAK-90.

Wolf ammo seems to have higher tolerances. An AK also has higher tolerances. But you try to fire high tolerance ammo in a low tolerance AR, and you're aking for problems.

A rule of thumb: When purchasing ammo, purchase ammo from the same country your firearm was manufactured in.

I abide by this rule for the most part, and i have yet to experience any major problems.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Horror story, tears to your eyes.........

Been watching to much TV son.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolf should make 30.06
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]

[rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Ask the ammoman what brand of ammo he ships the most of.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
... you can read all kinds of crap on the Internet, so to add to your list ...

... I have shot no less than 10,000 [b]various caliber[/b] rounds of Wolf ammo without [u]any[/u] significant failures.

... Can't beat the price either.

... Most weapons that FTF the stuff are just PO untuned S IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My Wolf horror story:  I paid only $40 for 500 rounds of 223, and I haven't had a single problem.  I fired about a 100 rounds of it, and my great-nephew fired the rest.  Horrible stuff.  Don't buy any of it.  Save it for those of us that need to save money.z
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Maybe the real problem is[/b]

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/You're_a_homo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone ever have any problems with Wolf ammo in there Bushys? Because from what you guys are saying I should save 30 bucks and just buy 1000 rounds of Wolf instead of a 1000 rounds of South African Surplus. I'm still saving up for my first AR and being in highschool money is pretty important so I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks.

You have no idea how hard it is to resist. I just visited Aimsurplus.com and they have brand new Romanian SAR 1s which accept 30 rounders for $269.95 I must resist the commie gun! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because from what you guys are saying I should save 30 bucks and just buy 1000 rounds of Wolf instead of a 1000 rounds of Wolf.
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have close to 2000 rounds of Wolf through my latest Bushmaster. Not a single glitch of any kind.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolf ammo is a Russian plot to disable all U.S. owned firearms.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because from what you guys are saying I should save 30 bucks and just buy 1000 rounds of Wolf instead of a 1000 rounds of Wolf.
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

You read it wrong read it again [;)]

Just a case of trying to type one thing and thinking another
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
 If I had a choice between feeding any of my guns Wolf Ammo or Puppy Chow dog food I would go with the Puppy Chow.  Okay...excepting a good ak in which I could feed both without fear.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolf ammo made my hair fall out and my teeth turn green.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Wolf ammo in a custom ar15 is a killer it failed to eject and the primers pop out ! The JUNKER guns are ok with it ! OOOOPS DID I SAY THAT ? LOL Hay I have a Bushy too and it eats it all. But wolf is very dirty.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 11,000 wolf .223 rounds through my B-Masta and no problems. True it is weak, but i seem to get full penetration on paper and cans.[:D] I usually shoot 600-750 rounds at a session and have noticed when I get home to clean there is the undeniable stench of CAT PISS emminating from my B-Masta.(or should i say WOLF PISS) Other than that, no problems.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wolf ammo... another great internet myth.  I stopped counting how may cases my ArmaLite rifles, 5 of them, have eaten without any failures.  If it doesn't work in your rifle find out why.  Some shooters do seem to have problems with Wolf and instead of determining the why of the problem, call the ammo junk.  

Wolf is a bit underpowered and burns dirtier than LC.  Fact.  Older ArmaLite rifles often have a 'match' chamber, all of mine did.  Polish the chamber.  Don't worry about the 'lacquer' myth either.  I gave up trying to make it happen.  Polish the chamber, shoot Wolf and be happy...

Oh... My Kimber .45's HATED Wolf at first.  Properly tensioned the extractors and they'll shoot Wolf all day now...
View Quote

I have shot Wolf ammo.
It does as you say work fine, but it not very accurate (at least in my guns).
It is however dirty and steel cased.
It costs 3.99 a box where I live, and Winchester Q3131 is 4.50.
For an extra .50 I'll shoot the Winchester.
Wolf ammo
Not worth it IMHO  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The local guys here seem to think that $4.00 a box for Wolf is OK as well.  Agreed, for the small difference in price I'd want Q3131 also!

Try and pick up a case of Wolf online.  Ammoman is selling Wolf at $130/case shipped, Sportsmans Guide has Wolf for $95/case, shipped for about $115.

Use the savings on Wolf to buy more Q3131a and LC... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The local guys here seem to think that $4.00 a box for Wolf is OK as well.  Agreed, for the small difference in price I'd want Q3131 also!

Try and pick up a case of Wolf online.  Ammoman is selling Wolf at $130/case shipped, Sportsmans Guide has Wolf for $95/case, shipped for about $115.

View Quote

Good point !
At $95.00 a case it would be worth considering.
You can hardly buy a case of anything for that !
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Shoot Wolf 100% of the time in my AKs/SKS and haven't had an issue one.  I don't shoot in my ARs just because it is dirtier and a little more corrosive (primers).  Only have one chrome upper and don't want to have to be picking when I grab into the ammo can.  I would not expect a feed issue and would have concern with my rifle if I did.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Gee, the guy with the CAR was shooting Wolf ammo all day. Your gun jammed after only 6 rounds. Yep, must be that Wolf ammo alright!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#24]
This has already been brought up, but for me, the cost of Wolf compared to other stuff isn't even close. I am paying something in the 80s for a case of Wolf. PMC was over twice that much and I figured PMC would be the next cheapest ammo. I think my local dealer is selling Wolf for right around $3.00 a box. I haven't really compared the cost of anything else since my dealer is lazy and just stocks what is real easy for him to buy, which is Wolf and PMC.
I am a hard core reloader, but for the cost of Wolf, I just buy it and don't have to pick up the brass. I never really sat down and did an analysis on it, but I would be very suprised if I could reload for less than what Wolf costs.
If I can buy a brand of ammo that functions flawlessly, provides adequate accuracy, and is significantly cheaper, I would consider myself a fool to do anything else.

"Gee, the guy with the CAR was shooting Wolf ammo all day. Your gun jammed after only 6 rounds. Yep, must be that Wolf ammo alright!"

And he was getting two inch groups.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#25]
obviously lots of folks dont have a problem with wolf but,at least one world class firearms instructor has seen enough to request not to bring wolf ammo to his urban riflecourse in his info pack prior to sending money to register.My take on all this is to try alittle before buying alot to make sure your gun likes it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#26]
From what I've seen Wolf isn't a whole lot cheaper than SA ammo.  I get 900rds of SA for $112 shipped. For that price why would you want to shoot that dirty Russian Wolf ammo and only save maybe $15per 1000rds? It's not worth it to me...

-David

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#27]
The problem is obviously the rifle/ammo combination.

Armalites are expensive/tight guns, so they need clean/pretty ammo. [flame]

An AK is a combat weapon and runs better after the first thousand rounds of dirty powder and laquered cases. [flame]

With the scope dialed in correctly, my SAR2 will hold 1.5" with Wolf at 100m (shooting in a field off the front bumper of an old Buick chassie at pop cans on some tires). Granted I like Barnul better. With both I'd put between six and ten rounds in each pop can before hitting either the top or the bottom and sending them flying. I'm not positive but I think after I got the scope shimmed and dialed correctly I didnt miss at all.

Now I'm going to duck and cover while everyone defends ARs as a combat weapon....

(and as a preemptive measure, I know its a fine gun in the field, I just like AKs more and enjoy egging people on)
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The problem is obviously the rifle/ammo combination.

Armalites are expensive/tight guns, so they need clean/pretty ammo. [flame]

An AK is a combat weapon and runs better after the first thousand rounds of dirty powder and laquered cases. [flame]

With the scope dialed in correctly, my SAR2 will hold 1.5" with Wolf at 100m (shooting in a field off the front bumper of an old Buick chassie at pop cans on some tires). Granted I like Barnul better. With both I'd put between six and ten rounds in each pop can before hitting either the top or the bottom and sending them flying. I'm not positive but I think after I got the scope shimmed and dialed correctly I didnt miss at all.

Now I'm going to duck and cover while everyone defends ARs as a combat weapon....

(and as a preemptive measure, I know its a fine gun in the field, I just like AKs more and enjoy egging people on)
View Quote

Yes, I assume most, if not all, Armalites have .223 chambers.  I would think .223 chambers are too tight to like Wolf because the rounds have looser tolerances.  For that matter, they usually don't like M193 or M855 either.  A .223 chamber shouldn't be exposed to loose tolerance ammo, nor high pressure rounds.  This would definitely discount it for combat.  

Any AR with a 5.56mm NATO (expecially a chrome lined) chamber would not mind Wolf at all.  That being said, I would not consider anything with a .223 cahmber to be a combat suitable weapon anyway.  For defensive/combat use, only use 5.56mm chambers.  Save the .223 chambers for competition and target shooting, because I simply wouldn't depend on it for battle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wolf Ammo stole my girl, wrecked my truck and shot my coon dog.
View Quote

It shot my girl, wrecked my dog, and stole my truck. Then it did donuts in my front yard with my stolen truck and girl. Then it ran over my wrecked dog.

But seriously, I wouldn't shoot it in my AR if I had the choice. Works fine in my SKS and in AK/MAK-90s. But then again, you can feed those Soviet designs anything.

I've had the laccer (sp.) come off inside the upper reciever of my Bushmaster. Turns the indsides green. And it does have a distintive smell. I happen to enjoy the smell of US Mil ammo. Wolf doesn't bother me too much. It's alot stronger, but I love the smell of cordite in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Horror story? I was expecting to read about a preban Colt kB or something like that. Now THAT would bring tears to my eyes. Your gun jammed? THE HORROR! Just curious, but if you'd rather shit in your barrel than shoot that, then why did you shoot it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
obviously lots of folks dont have a problem with wolf but,at least one world class firearms instructor has seen enough to request not to bring wolf ammo to his urban riflecourse in his info pack prior to sending money to register.My take on all this is to try alittle before buying alot to make sure your gun likes it.
View Quote

I'd be willing to bet it really has to with the fact that Wolf stinks and will probably offend others at the class or possibly the fact that they can't reuse your brass for their own personal reloading endeavors.  Just a thought...

Bradd
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey all--

I have steered clear of Wolf ammo completely...I only use stuff I can RELOAD!

In my area (SW Oregon) Bi-Mart sells UMC 55 gr FMJ for $3.75/20. Shoots fine, a bit dirty. More accurate than the $5/20 Win, or anything else.

The only horror story regarding ammo I can tell is with Sellier & Bellot dooky...seems to short-cycle just about everything I own that goes bang! Plus, a casehead separated in .45 ACP,
fired from a G30. Oh yeah...and I'll NEVER shoot a Rem Lightning again. EVER. YMMV, however!

Regards,

FastVFR The Believer in an Iron-Clad Case for Avoiding Steel-Cased Ammo!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Today i was at the range with my ArmaLite.  I noticed a guy shooting next to me with a CAR, but he looked pissed.  So, (being the nice guy i am) i asked him if anything was wrong.  He said he couldn't hit the target at 100 yards.  So, i helped him sight in his scope.  He had little to no idea what he was doing with it at all, but after i had helped him get 2 inch groups, he insisted that he give me 20 rounds of wolf ammo.  I would rather shit in my barrel than shoot that, but he wouldn't take no for an answer and to make him feel good i took it.
    After 6 shots, it jammed and i couldn't unjam her.  I tried every trick in the book, and had to resort to bringing it back to my gunsmith where i bought it to get it fixed.  He almost punched me when i told him it was a Wolf.  Short story long, never, ever, shoot wolf ammo.  I may be dirt cheap but it isnt worth the crap that comes out of a bulls ass.
View Quote

Bullshit, and say something when you learn something. Laquer gumming up= bulshit, case stuck because it is steel = true
GG
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#34]
My bushmaster fires wolf ammo faster than a ranger student eats an MRE(food).
            FREE
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[b]Maybe the real problem is[/b]

[url]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/You're_a_homo.jpg[/url]
View Quote

AKsRule,

This is the funniest response I have seen to date on any forum, bar none.  Keep up the good work!

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anyone ever have any problems with Wolf ammo in there Bushys? Because from what you guys are saying I should save 30 bucks and just buy 1000 rounds of Wolf instead of a 1000 rounds of South African Surplus. I'm still saving up for my first AR and being in highschool money is pretty important so I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks.

You have no idea how hard it is to resist. I just visited Aimsurplus.com and they have brand new Romanian SAR 1s which accept 30 rounders for $269.95 I must resist the commie gun! [;)]
View Quote

I've never had any problems shooting Wolf in my Bushy, and it's probablly been at least 1000 rounds.  I'm a young buck too (not old enough to buy a handgun) and I would suggest you stop resisting, and buy an AK.  I like mine more than my AR-15, and it's alot cheaper.  I would wait to buy an AR-15 until money isn't as tight and you have alot to throw at a rifle...just my $.02
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#37]
The other advantage to getting the Bushmaster is that I will get some practice in before I enlist. So it shouuld make qualifying expert pretty easy [;)]. I think I'm pretty much set that I'm going to buy the Bushy. Right now I have enough for the AK and several thousand rounds but I'm just going to stick with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#38]
wolf is all i can aford, LOL, [heavy]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/Guns.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Damn, Larry!  [:D]

Bradd
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#40]
like i said WOLF works [heavy]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/John-SAW.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I wouldn't shoot Wolff out of my AR,but that's all I shoot out of my 9mm Carbine,and my AK223..with the 9mm,it's the ONLY cheap stuff with enough guts to work,(over 600rnds w/o a FTF),in the AK,it eats it for lunch,Never tried it in any of my AR's.....I have seen alot of people shoot it at the range,I tell them,Oh man,don't shoot that in your AR,(WHY NOT,BEEN DOIN IT FOR 2 YRS)!!??
( where does he get those WONDERFUL TOYS )?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#42]
...but you also have to admit that many firearms instruction ranges forbid any type of case that they can't either reload or SELL to reloaders.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
...but you also have to admit that many firearms instruction ranges forbid any type of case that they can't either reload or SELL to reloaders.
View Quote

Absolutely...it's all about the bottom line.  That's why I don't think you can use that reasoning to condemn a particular type of ammo.

Bradd
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Two main reasons to avoid Wolf is it doesnt fragemnt reliably, and even from flash supressor equiped rifles, it shoots flaming clumps of unburned powder about 15 yards down range. It they could work those problems out, and still cost less than SA M1A3, i would buy it again.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't think I've heard of or seen direct problems shooting steel-cased lacquered ammo, Wolf or others; but I have observed problems with guns going back to brass after shooting sessions with the steel cases.

On at least three different occasions at two different matches, guns that were fired until hot with steel cased ammo would not extract brass cases when ammo was switched over.  

The hypothesis is that the lacquer layer gets hot and splits leaving traces in the chamber.  Brass cases then appear to stick in the chamber to these traces.

If you go back to steel, or stick with steel in the first place, I know of no ill effects.  However, if you plan for brass cased ammo to be used in the gun, this could be a consideration.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Goddamn Larry!

[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#47]
WOW Larry! Thanx for the new desktop wallpaper![bounce]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#48]
[b]HOLY SHIT LARRY![/b] [shock]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#49]
LARRY ! Very Nice !!
How miny rounds you go through in a month ?

[heavy]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Wolf ammo caused the Chernobyl meltdown.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top