Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2004 7:06:54 AM EDT
This ammo is very accurate in my Rock River upper, Bushmaster lower. My question is why did Hornady offer this to the general public through Midsouth and Midway? It appears Hornady is selling off the 60 grain barrier bullet as well. This is supposed to be law enforcement ammo. Is there something wrong with this ammo/bullet?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing wrong with it.  I don't understand when suppliers sell cop ammo to us normal people but they do it.  Some are stricter than others though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
But I should state, there really isn't anything that makes it cop ammo besides the box though.  FYI.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Bear in mind the criteria of the end user.

What seems to be decent ammo and reliable in one rifle, may not be the same overall when 600 rifles  are concerned.

Some have higher expectations, and a more critical mission than can be appreciated by the casual user.

The stuff ain't bad for general use. However the contract might very well have been for a client that has no room for error.

Some folks are just waaay too anal!
Ain't it great!

S-28

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This ammo has been discontinued and replaced with an updated design.  Overall, it is a less-than-stellar load for defensive use.

-Troy

Are these VMAX or AMAX components or are they a non-available component? I did a quick search and if I am correct they anemic in velocity? Do any TAP rounds have potential?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
M199,

The Tap Barrier loads in question are a contract run for a specific client, with specific needs and criteria.

They are in no way indicitive of any other TAP loading.

The replacement loading for the client in question is vastly better.

Sleep well knowing that "Good enough" ain't!

S-28

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
75gr TAP is one of the better rounds out. They say it also comes loaded hot in 5.56 but the only stuff I can find is the .223 in 25 rd boxes @16.99. -Justin
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

None of the TAP rounds are very good except for the 75 grain that is topped with 75 grain Hornady OTM, not VMAX or AMAX.   TAP 75 is pretty good.

Avoid VMAX and AMAX in 5.56/.223.  They are Varmint rounds.  Really.  They are NOT for self-defense.  They just don't penetrate enough and fragment TOO quickly.

Thanks for the straight up; that's the answer I was looking for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I e mailed Hornady a while back and asked them if this ammo would be sufficent for deer hunting. The lady that replied said one of their techs said it would be the only thing he'd use for deer hunting. Where I live, in the south, many deer are killed with .222s, .223s even 22 Hornet, mostly using factory Remington ammo. Just curious if any one has had experience with this TAP ammo for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#11]
do you have first hand experience with this? (that is, barrier ammo performing poorly in bad guys)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Sambar,

The TAP Barrier ammo was designed to defeat specific barriers and still penetrate sufficiently where conventional bullets without the barrier considerations generally fail.

Tap Barrier in it's current form is "Good stuff" as long as the considerations of the contract client are present.

Those considerations do NOT exist outside of  a small percentage of L.E. deadly force scenarios, and the clients "Atmosphere".

Unless you are the client in question, or a SWAT cop, look elsewhere for better performing ammo.

This load is really a narrowly defined number.

Listen to Tatjana.
The Broad spectrum ammo is 100% a better choice for 99% of the folks out there.

Besides, the stuff on the market now, is what has been rejected and replaced in favor of a better load for that .01% client.

I have full access to both, and choose another loading off duty if it means anything.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, S 28 and the others that have replied to my question. Most appreciated.
Sambar
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top