Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 5:16:47 PM EDT
From what I understand, the only benefit the Hornady 75gr. TAP FPD has over BH 75gr. OTM is low flash powder and nickle cases. Both bullets should have very similar terminal effects. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 7:12:35 PM EDT by DevL]
Black Hills ammo is noted as having some of the lowest flash of any manufacturer. The only thing the Hornady has going for it is the nickle cases and a cooler looking box.

Of course Hornady also has a 5.56 pressure 75 grain TAP and thats a whole different story. I have some 75 grain 5.56 that is rolling on a truck to be delivered I type this and will be chronoing it against some Black Hills .223 I have sitting here. Expect reports on velocity in about a week or 2.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:46:03 AM EDT
Devl, what will you be shooting it out of? Please post the results. I'm trying to get out tomorrow to test several 75 g and 77 g loads in several barrel lenght. I am very interested in seeing what your results are.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:46:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
Black Hills ammo is noted as having some of the lowest flash of any manufacturer. The only thing the Hornady has going for it is the nickle cases and a cooler looking box.

Of course Hornady also has a 5.56 pressure 75 grain TAP and thats a whole different story. I have some 75 grain 5.56 that is rolling on a truck to be delivered I type this and will be chronoing it against some Black Hills .223 I have sitting here. Expect reports on velocity in about a week or 2.

Looking forward to this!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:49:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 357sig:
Devl, what will you be shooting it out of? Please post the results. I'm trying to get out tomorrow to test several 75 g and 77 g loads in several barrel lenght. I am very interested in seeing what your results are.

Quite honestly I dont know. I sold my 14.5" LMT and my current build is entirely custom and wont be finished till Chritmas. I will probably call Brouhaha and meet up with him because I know he will want to check the stuff out and he has uppers.

jadams951 who is a friend and local arfcom member should be getting his LW 14.5" upper in about 3 weeks and I will run some through that, though they claim 200 fps increase with their piston gas system so it might be ridiculously high numbers.

I am gonna get some others together to test as many barrel lengths as possible. I bought the ammo specifically to test velocity and accuracy and its just a few hundred rounds. Id love to donate some to a gelatin experiment if someone and someone else and someone else's sister decided to shoot some jello in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:26:07 AM EDT

Well that's good to know. TAP is a whole lot more pricy than the BH.

I wonder if the 5.56 has a bigger flash than the regular Civy TAP FPD stuff.

I'm not an LEO so I doubt I'll be seeing any of the good stuff anyway though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:27:57 AM EDT
I will say the TAP ammo works really nice in my Glocks
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:02:54 PM EDT
Devl, Good to hear you may have a 14.5. I have a 16" Colt M4, a 20" M16A4 upper and a 24" RRA Varminter. The ammo I have is BH red and blue in 77 and 75 grain, some Cabela's MK 262 2nds and Hornady 75 g TAP FPD. Are there any other readily available "heavy bullet loads" worth including? This should be interesting. I'm not sure when I will get to shoot. My Son is coming home before heading for Iraq and I don't know his schedule yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:09:10 PM EDT

Two questions:

1) Where are you getting 5.56 NATO pressure 75gr TAP from? All that I've ever found/ordered is .223

2) So is the Nickel-cased "FPD" .223 stuff truly identical to the brass-cased .223 stuff (other than appearance)? Mine is the brass-cased ones, I haven't bought any of the new FPD Nickel stuff, but it seems easier to find these days than the brass stuff was in the past.
Top Top