Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 3:10:31 PM EST
Hey, I have always used Hoppe's #9 on my guns. I have 2 Glocks and recently bought a Colt LE6920 which is my first AR. My question is are bore cleaner and gun solvent the same thing? I bought a pistol cleaning kit when I bought my first Glock and a rifle kit when I got my Colt. Both came with hoppe's #9 bore cleaner and lubricating oil. Should bore cleaner be used on the whole gun or just the bore? I know this is probably a pretty basic question, but this is not only my first AR, but my first rifle. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:08:31 PM EST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed9oU8V7-Uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qU8fYE8kM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OXIsKEHo-4g#t=59

These are the approaches that influenced me on cleaning AR.

I use M-Pro7 bore cleaner myself.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:43:02 PM EST
It's good at removing powder fouling. Use it where ever you get fouling in any gun, followed by lub. It's not a general purpose cleaner for stocks, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:59:07 PM EST
Cologne.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:27:04 PM EST
Hoppe's #9 is a bore solvent/general gun cleaning solvent.
It's for use on metal, and is used to clean copper, carbon, and lead fouling from the bore, and is used to clean carbon and powder fouling off everything else, like the bolt and bolt carrier, anywhere you have fouling of any type from firing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:29:03 AM EST
Hoppes is great for cleaning the barrels of Ar rifles. but it took me 25 years to lean this, If all you used for most of your cleaning was a good CLP lube such as Breakfree or Slip 2000 EWL, you would be fine.
run a patch of CLP down the barrel, wipe the bolt, etc. wait 10 to 15 mins. and then maybe hit it with a brush and then it should be pretty clean.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:42:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 2:56:25 AM EST by AR-4C]
Being your first AR15, save a copy of the M4/M16 Operator's Manual. It'll help with maintaining (cleaning, oiling, etc.) your AR15, being they share a roughly 90% commonality in parts. Also, FM 3-22.9 will help get you up to speed on AR15 specific marksmanship skills. Being a relatively newcomer to the weapon platform, this field and technical manual has helped me as well.

As for the Hoppe's #9, you should only need to use it inside of your barrel, chamber, barrel extension, and the bolt. Any carbon fouling inside of your upper and lower should just wipe out using a lint-free rag. And, aside from your bore brush, purchase an AR15/M4/M16 chamber brush or two as well (make sure to get the chamber brush with the same threads as your cleaning rod; your cleaning kit should be using the standard 8-32 threads) I bring this up about the chamber brush due to a chamber brush is also made with 8-36 threads (this is the threads used on a USGI cleaning rod)

TM 9-1005-319-10 M4/M16 Operator's Manual
FM 3-22.9 Marksmanship Skills M16/M4-Series Weapons
Top Top