Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2004 5:42:16 PM EST
Why the hell can't I get the bloody thing off?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:47:00 PM EST
Do you have a buffer tube wrench?

Is it a colt?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:59:26 PM EST
It's a pain in the ass isnt it, I damaged mine getting it off
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:27:59 PM EST
It means who assembled it didn't use anti-sieze grease on the threads, as required in the TM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:34:06 PM EST
It's a Colt...just took a little more elbow than I anticipated. Vise grip on the aft end of the tube did it after heating the threads a bit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:45:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:
It means who assembled it didn't use anti-sieze grease on the threads, as required in the TM.

Will I have to do this when I install the new collapsible? Any particular anti-seize in mind?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:41:33 AM EST
I didn't put any on the buffer tube threads that go into the reciever.

I did however put a bit of LocTite Blue on the threads of the tube that the castle nut tightens onto. I figure you don't need LocTite on the reciever end because the end plate keeps it from rotating out and the castle nut keep the plate from backing off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:08:20 AM EST
Use a breaking device... put a long piece of pipe over the end of your wrench and use leverage. I tried for 20 minutes trying to loosen mine until I remembered what my dad would have done if he were there watching me (God rest his soul). He'd first call me dumb for working dumb, tell me to work smarter, not harder, and then he would tell me to get a pipe. Then, he'd show me the "easy" way to do it.

I got the pipe, put it over the end of the wrench, and VOILA! It came off in a snap. Literally. This is a good trick for those of you that rotate your own tires, or ever have to loosen nuts and/or bolts that are stuck. A little bit of leverage goes a long way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:36:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By Edge767:
...until I remembered what my dad would have done if he were there watching me (God rest his soul). He'd first call me dumb for working dumb, tell me to work smarter, not harder, and then he would tell me to get a pipe. Then, he'd show me the "easy" way to do it.

That feeling I know all too well. It's been four years and I oft times wonder how I get anything done without his advice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:31:10 AM EST
When I have problems getting the buffer tube off , I just throw the whole lower away & buy a new one!
Top Top