Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:19:21 AM EDT
Iam not sure if I understand these eotech sights and other holographic sights correctly. I recently got my first AR and want to put a scope on it at some point. The way I understand it is that these eotech sights (and similar ones) have no magnification and offer a larger easier to see set of crosshairs, but is practically the same as open sights, just larger and easier to see. Ive never looked down anything other than traditional scopes so I dont have a feel for what the purpose for these things are other than being purely tactical. Is this a correct evaluation of these things? Is there a major advantage of these that I dont seem to be aware of? Ive simply noticed from pics that these seem to be a very popular choice of optics and I dont know anything about them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You have described them fairly well. A few other things that make them attractive are:

1. Speed of acquisition (very fast on target)
2. Field of view is very large
3. Promotes both eyes open shooting which increase #2 even more
4. Gives you close and distant options (65MOA ring and 1MOA Dot)
5. Ease of use. Once zeroed, it is point and shoot

Of course if you have bad eyes, 100 or 200 yards is still a long way to see and the Eotech won't offer you much help.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd add that once it is zeroed in it obviates the need for aligning the rear aperature with the front post, something many old-school shooters have a hard time learning when trying to use combat-irons (me).

Also the field of view is increased if you can remove the FSB in favor of a flip-up or delete entirely if you want.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It allows you to shoot without precisely lining anything up.  If the dot is on the target you will hit where the dot is, period.  Even if the dot isn't centered in the tube/sight window- it's kind of like a laser dot.  You shoot with both eyes open, don't have to have your cheek against the stock and don't have to have your head in some spot in relation to the sight or in line with anything.

Go to http://www.aimpoint.com ; most your questions are answered on there.  They have a demo and good explanations of how they work.

I have been through the same situation.  If you are used to regular scopes and irons it seems a little weird how a good red dot sight works.  Hell it seems impossible, but once you play with one you'll find how cool they are and how well they work.

A 4 moa dot is the same size as the width of the front sight post on an AR so you really shouldn't notice any difference in accuracy over irons.  The difference is speed- the dot is ungodly fast compared to irons and encourages both eyes open shooting.

Also, you just ignore the sight and act as if it isn't there.  Focus on the target and forget the tube or window is even there.  Where the dot appears in relation to the tube doesn't matter.  The gun hits where the dot is when the trigger is pulled regardless of the dot's position in relationship to the sight.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I  did a lot of trials and research as well.  I have been shooting my relatively new AR with irons and really liked it.  h.gif As a hunter, I shoot moslty with a scope.

I opted for the Eotech and have been very pleased.  It is very fast on target. I love the 1 MOA dot as I did not like a dot bigger than my 100 yd. target bullseye.  Plus the 65 MOA ring is nice for up close fast shooting. You can still use the irons when you feel like it or if you have an optic failure.  Having back up sights is important.  

Mostly, it depends on what you are going to do with your rifle.  hem

Just to add--you can add a magnifier to both the Aimpoint adn Eotech...Need more $ hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally have both for my Bushmaster M4. I have my Eotech mounted on a Larue mount  and I have a 3x9 variable scope with illuminated  reticle mounted on my removable handle. They both go back to ZERO each time I put them back. It all depends on what kind of shooti'n  I'm in the mood for. My favorite is with Eotech sighted co-witness with my front sight. Even at a 100 yards I'm happy with the results.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well Iam primarily interested in having my AR sighted in at 100yds, but am a little cautious of using something w/ no magnification. Thanks for the info, I will continue my research but I doubt I will be able to gain a feel for any of this unless I see one in action. Maybe I'll get crazy and say the hell with it and buy one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well Iam primarily interested in having my AR sighted in at 100yds, but am a little cautious of using something w/ no magnification. Thanks for the info, I will continue my research but I doubt I will be able to gain a feel for any of this unless I see one in action. Maybe I'll get crazy and say the hell with it and buy one.

EOTech sights are top notch. I have 2 Bushys, and when I bought a 551  model, it was so sweet that I bought a 552 for my flat top. They are damn good sights. Go crazy, get one, and you will see, no BS.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#8]
you don't have to worry about paralax (can't spell i'm drunk) don't have to line up front and back sights.  It is MUCH faster.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top