Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/21/2003 2:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2003 3:29:14 PM EDT by Hokie]
Based on some quick research using the search function, I want a AN/PVS-14 NVM 3rd generation, right? If not, what?

It'll work in conjunction with an Aimpoint M2.

Also, using an ITAL won't damage the NV, would it? Numb question, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Lastly, where does one shop for a new one? Any favorite sites, any recommended?

With some "once in a blue moon" coyote hunting, this would serve as a fun toy and of course, would supplement my homeland security initiative.

Cheers all,

H
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:53:34 PM EDT
Yep, you want the 14D. Buy an ITT, as the Litton tubes aren't as good quality. The PRI mount for it is awesome, but the GG&G isn't all that bad. I think they cost about the same, so you should probably spring for the PRI. As to where to get it... I haven't the foggiest clue. Sorry, but I can't help you there. Check out the "Industry" forum though, as a few NVD companies do advertise here. -Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:24:03 PM EDT
[beer]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:29:07 PM EDT
... If you can, get an infra-red illuminator to augment your NVD. I cannot use my AN/PVS-14 NVM 3rd Gen with my ACOG TA01NSN because the tritium floods the entire field of view. If your just goofing around, a laser in the visible spectrum works wonders too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:44:15 PM EDT
And when it comes to IR illuminators, the Surefire M1 is a tough SOB to beat. And, to answer your other Q's, yep, it works great with an Aimpoint M2, and... I've been advised by a friend that the ITAL will cause no damage to your tube. Good luck with your purchase, and... Post pics when you're done! -Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:18:55 PM EDT
Will do! Thanks for all the info fellas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2003 11:59:58 PM EDT by DevL]
You wont have a proper aiming point as the visable laser will bloom into a pumkin sized dot and the red laser will spook the coyote too. Some people on night vision forums have used cut exposed negatives layered on top of of a visable laser to act as a filter to reduce bloom and make the dot less noticable to coyotes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:15:55 AM EDT
no shit, huh...I learn something everday here. thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:01:13 AM EDT
i have heard pvs14's with delta grade tubes and the variable gain are hard to get and very expensive. a good alternative is the standard ITT 6015. it it's a toy your looking for, i don't think you'll be dissapointed. here is one i mounted behide a reflex; (i have since switched to a M2) [img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/060520.jpg[/img] another good option is the new USNV14 (c-link); [url]http://www.usnightvision.com/[/url] the image qualtity is great and the unit is lighter than the pvs14 but no variable gain,,:( but in its defense the ABC works very well. the only thing i don't like with the monocle/m2 set up is the tunnel vision affect. the closer you put the 2 units together the worse it is. if you put the NV farther away from the M2 it give you more field of view but the dot in the M2 is a little harder to see.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:34:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mr_h: i have heard pvs14's with delta grade tubes and the variable gain are hard to get and very expensive. a good alternative is the standard ITT 6015. it it's a toy your looking for, i don't think you'll be dissapointed. here is one i mounted behide a reflex; (i have since switched to a M2) [url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/060520.jpg[/url] another good option is the new USNV14 (c-link); [url]http://www.usnightvision.com/[/url] the image qualtity is great and the unit is lighter than the pvs14 but no variable gain,,:( but in its defense the ABC works very well. the only thing i don't like with the monocle/m2 set up is the tunnel vision affect. the closer you put the 2 units together the worse it is. if you put the NV farther away from the M2 it give you more field of view but the dot in the M2 is a little harder to see.
View Quote
... Wow, that set-up looks like it's too delicate for any real service. Doesn't the cantilevered mount make point of impact change too easily? Isn't there a more robust, hardened set-up?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:13:48 PM EDT
WW, you nailed that one on the head! i am no fan of the GGG mount. it mounts to the lens of the NV monocle. the mount itself is solid and sound but i don't like having the lens stressed. there is another mount by Litton that uses the screw hole that the head gear set up uses. the only draw back to that is that you can't really run a BUIS. it's always a trade off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:09:59 PM EDT
Wonder if the KAC 300m sight would work, that's about as low a profile BUIS as you can find.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:48:42 PM EDT
actually, let me re-state the fact about BUIS'. i kinda had a brain fart there. you can run GGG and KAC sites but not the ARMS #40, which i like the best. sorry about that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:41:23 PM EDT
Yep, you want the 14D. Buy an ITT, as the Litton tubes aren't as good quality
View Quote
Both Litton and ITT manufacture mil spec delta tubes for the gov. Nonetheless, ITT does not sell 14D to the general public. If you want pvs-14D), your option is a Litton.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:28:13 AM EDT
I'm running a PVS 14. Contact Oklahoma Police Supply www.oklahomapolicesupply.com or their toll free is (800)627-8027 the individual you need is Keith Waldron. That's who sold me my unit and he will work with you on pricing. If he has a unit with say three spots visible instead of a unit with perfect clarity he'll adjust price on them. He gets shipments in regularly. He's a dealer for them. Also regarding the ACOG post above, try mounting your PVS forward of the ACOG and work with that configuration.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 1:16:22 AM EDT
nice, thanks!
Top Top