Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 5:54:40 AM EDT
I just picked up a Hogue AR-15 pistal grip at my local gun shop. Is there anything special I need to watch out for when installing it, or can I just unscrew the old one, and screw on the new one?

Also, does anyone know what size of allen wrench I need to take off the original grip? (It's a Bushmaster, bought assembles in '98). The only wrenches I had around the house are too short, so I'm heading to a hardware store today.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch out not to lose the safety detent and spring. I usually turn my rifle upside down when installing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are using the same screw add some loctite and you are good to go.  If you are using a screw that came with the new grip make sure it easily threads into your lower receiver first.

PS - Don't lose the detent spring that lives in the grip!!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are using the same screw add some loctite and you are good to go.  If you are using a screw that came with the new grip make sure it easily threads into your lower receiver first.

PS - Don't lose the detent spring that lives in the grip!!!!

What kind of loctite?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
blue loctite

the red stuff is a bitch
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also, does anyone know what size of allen wrench I need to take off the original grip? (It's a Bushmaster, bought assembles in '98). The only wrenches I had around the house are too short, so I'm heading to a hardware store today.

I believe they are 3/16".
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
there was a topic on here somewhere about the safety selector issue after a hogue grip install.  apparently the spring for the safety that is recessed into the grip wasn't correct.  however, i have had several hogue grips.  ALL of them required minor trimming on the left side directly under the safety selector - the grip rubber was slightly wider than the lower receiver and stuck out a bit - the selector, when swung into the semi position, would contact the rubber.  a gentle swipe with a razor blade or a brush against the bench grinder will remove a small portion of material should this be a problem for you.

HTH.

septic tank

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
yep.  had to modify with a file to clear selector, and drill selector spring hole to correct depth.  just stick drill bit in spring hole that your removing, scotch tape depth.  drill to tape to get same depth on new hogue.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I had to trim the top of mine a bit to clearance it where the metal tab on the buffer tube meets it, but that may have been my cheapie stock's fault.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
there was a topic on here somewhere about the safety selector issue after a hogue grip install.  apparently the spring for the safety that is recessed into the grip wasn't correct.  however, i have had several hogue grips.  ALL of them required minor trimming on the left side directly under the safety selector - the grip rubber was slightly wider than the lower receiver and stuck out a bit - the selector, when swung into the semi position, would contact the rubber.  a gentle swipe with a razor blade or a brush against the bench grinder will remove a small portion of material should this be a problem for you.

HTH.

septic tank

I put a Hogue Grip on my Bushie M4 yesterday and had no trouble with the selector switch hitting the grip. It's close, but when I hold a light behind it, there is space between the grip and the selector, when in the "Fire" position.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
no problems putting mine on.

+1 on that detent spring

eta gun pron...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have installed 3 and have yet to trim one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've installed them on both my rifles with out having to do anything??  Maybe they had a bad batch.

Why the Loctite?  It's not used with the standard grip.  Mine hasn't came loose, but I only installed the first one about 3k rnds ago.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got it installed and working.

Thanks for the warning about the safety detent & spring.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The grip screw should have a lockwasher underneath. Torque it to goodntight ft-lb.
I use the RRA star selector and it was practically made to clear the thicker Hogue grip.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top