Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2002 1:55:00 PM EDT
This is the ammo in the brown box - 100 gr SP marked "Police".  How is the performance of this ammo? What's the story behind it? Searches on the web don't turn up much -
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Heres a little more info, a scan of Hirtenberger's promotional literature.

[img]www.armscenter.com/xm777/Pics/Scan30001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an old article from one of those "Guns-Weapons" mags, maybe 10+ yr old, had write up on that ammo, I think they shot a vest with it, and maybe other. Can look for it and fax it if you like.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have some of this stuff,and it shoots quite well. I got a case of it about 7 or 8 years ago. Haven't seen it offered for sale anywhere since I bought mine, so I do not piss it away on paper targets, but the little bit I have shot was to confirm their reliability in my guns. Muzzle rise is hardly noticeable in my Glock 34, but the blast is a little more than a "regular" 9mm. I haven't run any through my chrono, so I cannot verify the advertised velocity on them. I bet they really move out of a 16" carbine length barrel though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 600+ rds of the Hirtenberger 9mm and tried a few rounds in my Sigs and it functioned fine.  Remember reading something about it being issued to West German border police units as SWAT ammo and no doubt it's the same high quality ammo as the Hirtenberger 5.56 which I was also lucky to pick up back then.  Kobren.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of cases of the stuff still and a couple cases of the Hurtenberger high pressure sub-gun ammo to. The 124gr +P+ sub-gun for my Colt AR15 lightweight match and the 100gr SPFL law enforcement ammo I use in my glocks.

I get as good or better groups out to 100 yards with my colt 9mm with 124gr +P+ Hirtenberger as I do with my AR10.

I carry my G17 with 127gr +P+ Winchester SXT Ranger and an extra mag loaded with 9mm Hirtenberger +P+ just incase I need something with more penetration.

Great stuff
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#6]
thisisme, to be sure you are talking about your Colt 9mm [u]rifle[/u]! Not a Colt 9mm pistol.

PigPen
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn’t know there was a Colt AR15 lightweight match pistol.

Yes my Colt AR15 lightweight match is a rifle and not a 9mm pistol.

This ammo is very hot and should not be fired in large quantity in pistols.

THISISME
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I had some of this stuff - got it cheap from Cheaper than Dirt and fired it out of a Heritage Stealth pistol (American copy of the South African ADP gas-delayed blowback pistol). It was darn accurate and darn zippy. Very little recoil, of course.

I wound up giving my extra boxes to a friend when I got out of 9mms. Now that I'm back into 9mms, I should ask that he give some back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the Hirtenberger 100Gn +P+ JSP load in my Glock 17L for shooting Groundhogs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top