Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 2:11:20 PM EDT
I am building a new upper and was wondering if the high dollar barrels like a kreiger or compass lake would be that much better for my application. This is whats going into it...18 or 20 inch barrel, Daniel defense 12.0, continental machine flattop uper, ACOG optics. this will be used with 55grnFMJ and also heavier rounds such as 69 and 75grns. It will be mostly for range work, with the longest range available being 200 yards. SHould I just stick with a colt HBAR, or something like a RRA NM barrel, or would the big$ barrels be that much better that I will really see a differnce?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Compass Lake does not make barrels. They are an AR builder. They use many different barrels such as Kreiger, Douglas, Hart, etc. You say you will be shooting at 200 yards and under and also be shooting 55 FMJ. IMHO, a Kreiger is overkill for this intended purpose. If money is no object, then go for it although I think you would just as better served by a Rock River or maybe a Wilson barrel.  Unless you are looking for sub MOA performance and/or long range (500 yards or longer) those barrels, among others, will serve you just as well as a Kreiger but for a bunch less money.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
For your use I would say to talk with Steve over at ADCO firearms about one of the White Oak Armament barrels he sells.  Keep in mind that the ACOG is a combat optic, not a super precise sub-MOA benchrest scope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with rebel_rifle...a match quality barrel would be mucho overkill for you and such an optic given the info you provided...not to mention that the tighter chamber and lack of hard chroming require more care for reliable functioning...buy ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If I may amplify upon RebelRifle's and ikor's points: If you plan on shooting regular M-193 derivatives it's pretty much a waste of time to go with one of the super-precision barrels like Krieger. What those barrels give you is a potential for supurb accuracy if you tune your ammo to that particular barrel. On the other hand, if you are planning on using blaster ammo, it is entirely possible that a cheezy old rack grade 5.56 barrel may give you better results. It's a complete statistical crap shoot.

You may still want to go with a premium barel because this would give you the potential, should you be gripped by a craving for more precision at a later point in time, to go with home-brewed ammo and greater magnification to get you there.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I may amplify upon RebelRifle's and ikor's points: If you plan on shooting regular M-193 derivatives it's pretty much a waste of time to go with one of the super-precision barrels like Krieger. What those barrels give you is a potential for supurb accuracy if you tune your ammo to that particular barrel. On the other hand, if you are planning on using blaster ammo, it is entirely possible that a cheezy old rack grade 5.56 barrel may give you better results. It's a complete statistical crap shoot.

You may still want to go with a premium barel because this would give you the potential, should you be gripped by a craving for more precision at a later point in time, to go with home-brewed ammo and greater magnification to get you there.

Luck,

SD

Which is why I recommended one of Steve's WOA barrels; good price and good accuracy, making it a great barrel for shooting both types of shooting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys that was pretty much what I came up with as well. If anything I will go with one of ADCOS WOA barrels , but will most likely just do a Colt HBAR or a Wilson match barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top