Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2007 8:07:04 PM EDT
Well, if you like the Idea of the Grip-pod, but do not want to pay $150 for one, there is a viable alternative, if you are willing to do some easy improvements to a flawed Chinese knock-off.
     I just bought an Airsoft replica from Airsplat.com. Between Shipping and price, it cost me $22.  OK, it's a toy, but it is also a very exact copy of the real Grip pod, and except for the mounting screw, it is virtually identical. The real thing has a heavier screw, which is preened to keep the parts together when mounting and dismounting. Here are the components of the toy.
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/P4130001.JPG

The polymer parts are much stronger than one would expect and feel identical to the genuine Grip-pod I have inspected. The most impressive feature is the use of high quality hardened steel in the hinge components.
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P4130003.JPG

The weakest part (literally) is the chintzy wire mounting screw. The original is shown here with a Picitinny mounting stud and thumb-nut for comparison. If you look closely at the skinny Chinese screw, you will note that the spider silk sized threads are stripped smooth from my tightening of the thumb nut just a few times. Total junk, and if you buy one of these, it WILL fail.
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P4130005.JPG

My solution was to replace it with the pictured Picitinny mounting stud. To do so, you must drill the grip and mounting plate with a 3/16 inch bit, and dremmel the recess in order for the stud head to fit flush. This MUST be none, because as you can see, the stud is shorter than the screw, and it will otherwise be too short. I used a ball-shaped grinding stud on my dremmel.  The mounting stud and thumb-nut can be purchased from Bushmaster for $12 shipped. Total investment, exclusive of time and skill, is $34.
     The result is a very stable mount that can be easily removed and re-installed without stripping your screw. This is important, because many case systems will not allow you to case the rifle with the vertical grip in place. I hope this helps some of you.
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/P4130010.JPG
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, this is very helpful. I just ordered one of these cheaper grip-pods, and i will most certainly be using your mod on it. Good work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The grip-pod ia a great idea. I hear the Marines will be issuing one to every single infantry rifleman.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.  Good post.  How about a link to Bushmaster's parts?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Tag.  Good post.  How about a link to Bushmaster's parts?

No link available. I called the customer sevice line. Bushmaster sells the thumbnut for $3.50, and the stud for $2.00, whereas Colt wanted $16.95 for the nut and $8.95 for the stud. Colt also has a disclaimer that they "May not be manufatured by Colt." Tempting as the Colt quality was, I opted for Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, please support reverse engineering and other forms of patent infringement.

It's easy to offer products at rock bottom prices when you don't have to invest a dime in their development.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I am going to be ordering one of those for my Walther G22, I will be doing the mod just in case.

Will you please give out the part numbers from bushmaster for those two parts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
Yes, please support reverse engineering and other forms of patent infringement.hen

Well, you go ahead an support war profiteering, and gouging of the tax payers. There is no way on God's green earth they would be selling these for $150 per item but for a fat military contract. I would have bought one at $40 or $50 dollars, but at $150, they priced themselves out of the civilian market. Somehow, I don't think they care.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
I am going to be ordering one of those for my Walther G22, I will be doing the mod just in case.

Will you please give out the part numbers from bushmaster for those two parts.

Bushmaste does no have a parts schematic that includes these parts, but the customer service person had know problem understanding what I needed. These are considered carry handle parts, if that helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's easy to offer products at rock bottom prices when you don't have to invest a dime in their development.

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the alumn grippod and feel its worth every penny I paid for it.

If an airsoft clone works for you, go for it.  But I personal am willing to pay for quality,
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you go ahead an support war profiteering, and gouging of the tax payers. There is no way on God's green earth they would be selling these for $150 per item but for a fat military contract. I would have bought one at $40 or $50 dollars, but at $150, they priced themselves out of the civilian market. Somehow, I don't think they care.

+1, The airsoft clones are the same thing, with the exception of the set screw. You know, the reason that most overpriced items get so overpriced is that people are willing to pay for them. I for one am not going to pay $120 more for a better screw, when I can perform a simple modification and get the same quality. If you feel better about yourself because you have supported an overpriced American manufacturer then good for you. I don't feel like getting ripped off just so I can say that my product was made in USA when there is no appreciable difference in the quality of the item.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

War profiteering?  Gouging?

Here's a tip for you: get a freakin clue before you slander and defame some good, patriotic Americans.  These were priced at $150 well before it received a military contract.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I found the Bushmaster parts in their M4A3 carbine rifle schematic.  The thumb nut assembly is part 9349063-7 and the cross bolt is part 9349063-4.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Yes, please support reverse engineering and other forms of patent infringement.hen

War profiteering?  Gouging?Here

You disagree with me, so I have no clue? Here is a clue for you. The Product in question was made in china, and the factory made money. It was shipped here, and the shipper made money. It was sold to me by the retailer, and the retailer made money. It sold for $12 bucks. Since I don't have a clue, why don't you tell us all how much the factory workers tuning out the US version are paid per hour? Are the Polymer parts even made in the USA?

As for your ill-informed assertion that the price was set by the market prior to a military contract, how many grip pods were sold to the public before it was specified for the FNH SCAR?

If I have slandered or defamed anyone, all they need do is ask and i will provide my address for service of their summons and complaint. By the way, can you define slander and defamation, and then explain how my comments satisfy the elements of the cause of action?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought paying way, way too much for parts was the AR way of life?

Attach the word "tactical" to anything in shooting, and instantly the price doubles. Take a standard deer rifle scope, take off the picture of the deer and put, oh, I don't know, a skull or write "SWAT" on it, and armchair comandos will line up to buy it and swear there is a difference, and your just too ignorant to see it. I'm new to AR's, but have been shooting all my life. I've never seen anything like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
I found the Bushmaster parts in their M4A3 carbine rifle schematic.  The thumb nut assembly is part 9349063-7 and the cross bolt is part 9349063-4.

Thanks for that detective work Txcas. That will make things easier. Sorry this thread got mucked up with all the politics. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If it wasn't for reverse engineering, you'd be using a $6000 IBM PC to make your above post, and it would be in german.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered them from Bushmaster and the above poster gave you the part numbers, I tried searching their web site it's not there. I had to talk to tech support and even then I had to email this thread so he could see the picture and then he gave me the 2 part numbers now mentioned above.  That was before they were posted here.

I orginally ordered one of these Grip Pods to check it out and yes just the screw is a problem but even then I thought attached to a bench rest rifle it would still work after reading this I will fix the weak part and have ordered more of them.

Even the cheap ones sell for $49 if you don't buy them from the correct place with the weak set screw.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Where did you buy this from? I'd love to get something like this for my 10/22 and AR to use at the range, I cant afford between classes and ammo prices to burn hundereds on tiny stuff that probably wont see a fraction of the abuse they are built for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
Where did you buy this from?

I got it here,
http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-UPE-Bi-ST06B.htm
and they other parts from Bushmaster. Shipping is spendy, so figure $22 for the grip, shipped, and 12 for the upgraded stud and nut, again, with shipping. $34 total investment. Thay have them in tan too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Ordered one.  As soon as it gets here I am off to Ace Hardware to get the appropriate bolt.  I may be able to use the one off my existing grip.  I hate having to switch back and forth between bi-pod and grip.  Hopefully this works out as well for me.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]
i got a couple of the original ones.   they seem pretty sturdy, but i havent mounted them to anything yet.

i suppose i should get a rifle with rails.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Mr. Bluedog, you have stated that as you say the( flawed chinese knock off) of the patented and trademarked GRIP POD can be fixed ,but it is an exact copy of the real grip pod . The fact is the real Grip Pod is a mil spec item that was tested and won major military contracts because of its light weight duel duty bipod/vertical forgrip and incredible strength. One of the tests that the grip pod had to endure was a drop test which an m16 with a loaded 30 round mag and optics was dropped 4 to 5 feet onto concrete with the bipod  deployed with no damage. Most bipods weighing far more in the Army test failed and ended up in pieces. There are a few important facts that you may not be aware of :1, the real grip pod utilizes very strong , hardened stainless steel  leg inserts which are molded into the full length of the leg and interfaces the cross pin  much like a glock pistol which uses a hardened steel frame molded into the polymer .2  the REAL Grip pod utilizes a proprietary space age polymer throughout the grip and the legs. This  is a very expensive process, but extremely strong so strong that a 7 ounce REAL GRIP POD with bipod deployed can withstand the weight of a 250 pound man standing up on a M16 .We know of no other bipod weighing far more  or vertical grip that can endure this high degree of strength, because our fighting men don't have time to baby their gear ..I have seen a few of the flawed chinese knock offs as you say and I don't believe they have any  hardened stainless steel leg inserts. Furthermore,  the quality of low grade plastic construction is very soft  should not be used on a weapon as I have heard of them breaking used as toys on airsoft guns. Also you say that our retail of 150 dollars is what the military pays but that is also not true as they have a military price. I can also assure you that our real grip pod is made in the USA not a communist slave labor state like red china .Futhermore one can buy a yugo automobile and say its a BMW but we all know it s still a YUGO . We have full Patent and Trade mark protection on this item . As per your invitation we would like your name and phone number and email address . Respectfully , JR Moody G.P.S Systems
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, it just got awful quiet on this thread, I hear crickets.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mr. Bluedog, you have stated that as you say the( flawed chinese knock off) of the patented and trademarked GRIP POD can be fixed ,but it is an exact copy of the real grip pod . The fact is the real Grip Pod is a mil spec item that was tested and won major military contracts because of its light weight duel duty bipod/vertical forgrip and incredible strength. One of the tests that the grip pod had to endure was a drop test which an m16 with a loaded 30 round mag and optics was dropped 4 to 5 feet onto concrete with the bipod  deployed with no damage. Most bipods weighing far more in the Army test failed and ended up in pieces. There are a few important facts that you may not be aware of :1, the real grip pod utilizes very strong , hardened stainless steel  leg inserts which are molded into the full length of the leg and interfaces the cross pin  much like a glock pistol which uses a hardened steel frame molded into the polymer .2  the REAL Grip pod utilizes a proprietary space age polymer throughout the grip and the legs. This  is a very expensive process, but extremely strong so strong that a 7 ounce REAL GRIP POD with bipod deployed can withstand the weight of a 250 pound man standing up on a M16 .We know of no other bipod weighing far more  or vertical grip that can endure this high degree of strength, because our fighting men don't have time to baby their gear ..I have seen a few of the flawed chinese knock offs as you say and I don't believe they have any  hardened stainless steel leg inserts. Furthermore,  the quality of low grade plastic construction is very soft  should not be used on a weapon as I have heard of them breaking used as toys on airsoft guns. Also you say that our retail of 150 dollars is what the military pays but that is also not true as they have a military price. I can also assure you that our real grip pod is made in the USA not a communist slave labor state like red china .Futhermore one can buy a yugo automobile and say its a BMW but we all know it s still a YUGO . We have full Patent and Trade mark protection on this item . As per your invitation we would like your name and phone number and email address . Respectfully , JR Moody G.P.S Systems

Why do you want to contact that guy?   Why not just go to the website?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

OST

Why would you want his contact info.  Are you going to throw a suit at him?  Why not go after the airsoft company that is cloning your product.

I'm a bit confused here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wow, is that an ad? Are you the manufacturer? I think you have to pay extra here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

totally agree.

I don't know why china knock off acog, leopold scope, aimpoint, etc can get away from patent laws. Just doesn't seem right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

totally agree.

I don't know why china knock off acog, leopold scope, aimpoint, etc can get away from patent laws. Just doesn't seem right.

because the world pisses on America and we just smile back
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:

If you are in fact a representative of the company, why did you not identify yourself as such in your initial post in which you insulted me? Perhaps if you had done so, and shared the information you offered in your follow up post, you might have educated me and others here. Instead, you seem bent on attempting to publicly intimidate me.

Contrary to your assertions Mr. Moody, I am not “clueless.” I am in fact quite cognizant of my rights to express my opinion, just as I am intimately aware of the elements of a cause of action for slander and defamation. (remember my request to you?) You should be aware that there also exists a cause of action for malicious prosecution.

If you are seriously contemplating suing me, I will provide my information via email, upon your request via email. Jurisdiction will be in the Federal District Court for the Western District of Michigan, or alternately, the 17th Circuit Court for the State of Michigan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Mr Bluedog I have Only posted One time. I have no Idea who insulted you Respectfully JRMoody G.P.S Systems Please check the IP  I thank you for your valid concerns on a new product
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow...just wow. Sorry BlueDog, it appears that you can't post a help thread without being bombarded with criticisms and threats. Skidoo, if you are in fact a representative of the company that manufactures the real Grip-Pod, why not pursue the chinese knock-off companies as opposed to attacking some guy trying to be helpful? While I envy those who can afford your product, the added .mil stress tests that have been performed dont do anything for me. I actually got my knock-off grip pod in the mail today, and it held up very well for what i am trying to do (target shoot at the local range). Obviously if i was putting myself in a situation where i would require this product to defend myself I would plop the money down for the real thing, but as it stands it is simply a waste to spend that kind of money on a range toy. I appreciate the fact that Bluedog has gone out of his way to make it easier for those that otherwise wouldnt have the money to be "tacticool" with the big name brands. BTW, i hope that you seriously consider even threatening legal action against BlueDog, as you have absolutely no grounds for a case and would undoubtedly be humiliated in a court of law.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#34]
long live the pirates
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Next we'll be hearing how great the fake Knights RAS rail system and fake leupold Mk4 scopes are.

I wish people would stop buying this cheap ass crap! It doesn't make your weapon any better, cooler, or more tactical.  In fact, it makes you look cheap and stupid. Additionally, it condones patent infringement and manufacturing of fake merchandise.  

I don't see anywhere in Mr Moody's post about perusing legal action.  Mr. Moody only asks for a name and address.  Who knows, maybe Mr. Moody wants to send him the real Grip Pod for a comparison.  Talk about jumping to conclusions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Wow...just wow. Sorry BlueDog, it appears that you can't post a help thread without being bombarded with criticisms and threats. Skidoo, if you are in fact a representative of the company that manufactures the real Grip-Pod, why not pursue the chinese knock-off companies as opposed to attacking some guy trying to be helpful? While I envy those who can afford your product, the added .mil stress tests that have been performed dont do anything for me. I actually got my knock-off grip pod in the mail today, and it held up very well for what i am trying to do (target shoot at the local range). Obviously if i was putting myself in a situation where i would require this product to defend myself I would plop the money down for the real thing, but as it stands it is simply a waste to spend that kind of money on a range toy. I appreciate the fact that Bluedog has gone out of his way to make it easier for those that otherwise wouldnt have the money to be "tacticool" with the big name brands. BTW, i hope that you seriously consider even threatening legal action against BlueDog, as you have absolutely no grounds for a case and would undoubtedly be humiliated in a court of law.

Wrong.

You do not have to be a manufacturer or vendor of bootleg products to be held accountable for partcipating in their commerce.  

Possession of contraband is proof enough to link you as a consumer and the OP already admits knowledge of the nature of the item.

There was a whole slew of people here locally in South FL that were taken to task over the receipt of counterfeit goods.

Namely fake 'big name' handbags and purses.  Just do a search on the subject.

U.S. Customs has very little leverage on the Chinese manufacturers but it can slam the point home with the importers and the people on the receiving end.

Unfortunately, usually the worst that happens is the items get confiscated.

ETA: IMO this thread falls under COC rule #4
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#38]
The last poster in this thread from last month said the plastic snaped on his airsoft grip bipod.  Take that as a warning if you use your AR for serious purposes.

He said "The plastic was too weak."
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=320454
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

You do not have to be a manufacturer or vendor of bootleg products to be held accountable for partcipating in their commerce.  

Possession of contraband is proof enough to link you as a consumer and the OP already admits knowledge of the nature of the item.

There was a whole slew of people here locally in South FL that were taken to task over the receipt of counterfeit goods.

Namely fake 'big name' handbags and purses.  Just do a search on the subject.

U.S. Customs has very little leverage on the Chinese manufacturers but it can slam the point home with the importers and the people on the receiving end.

Unfortunately, usually the worst that happens is the items get confiscated.

Unfortunately for anyone trying to pursue a case against the ownership of this "Bootleg Product" there are a number of appreciable diferences between the chinese knock-off and the real grip pod. Whats more, the chinese knock off does not claim itself to be a grip pod, and has many key features missing that skidoo pointed out in his post. Is it meant to perform the same function as the grip pod? yes. Is it marketing itself as a grip pod? no. Unlike the current leupold scandal where counterfeit leupolds are being passed off as the real thing, the knock off does not claim to be a real grip pod, it merely imitates the function, and that is not enough to claim it as a counterfeit or "bootleg"
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Unfortunately for anyone trying to pursue a case against the ownership of this "Bootleg Product" there are a number of appreciable diferences between the chinese knock-off and the real grip pod. Whats more, the chinese knock off does not claim itself to be a grip pod, and has many key features missing that skidoo pointed out in his post. Is it meant to perform the same function as the grip pod? yes. Is it marketing itself as a grip pod? no. Unlike the current leupold scandal where counterfeit leupolds are being passed off as the real thing, the knock off does not claim to be a real grip pod, it merely imitates the function, and that is not enough to claim it as a counterfeit or "bootleg"

I'd bet good money that the item has enough of the grip pod features as described in the original's patent info to pursue legal action.

Looks like a duck...Quacks like a duck...

There are unscrupulous vendors such as Blackthorne who are more than happy to foist airsoft knock-off crap and try to pass it off as the real deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#41]
You know what, I am criticizing these other posters saying that they are insulting BlueDog and such, but i notice that I am becoming one of those posters. Skidoo, I apologize, I know that you make a great product and I am not trying to downplay that. Your  worksmanship is obviously superior to any airsoft knock-off, and i dont want to pretend that it isnt, with that said i would like to retract my earlier statement that these have the same quality as the real deal, they really do not. To be honest, I like paying more for quality, and this is the first airsoft style item I have ever purchased for a firearm. At this time in my life, I do not have the money to purchase one of your fine products, and so I am jumping on a quick fix. Later on down the road I fully intend to purchase a real version of my knock-off, but for now this will have to do. I am sorry if i have offended anyone, particularly skidoo, this is a silly thing for me to lose my head over. I wish everyone the best, and BlueDog, I do appreciate the helpful information you posted. To everyone else, I am sorry if I upset anyone. Best of luck in your daily endeavors, and God bless.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#42]
How nice, US mfg's fat on the cash of Uncle Sam go out of the way to lawyer-prod fellow gun owners who just want to have fun with a range-toy and might have actually considered shelling out money for the real deal after "testing" the knockoff. Never mind the fact that we are discussing this on a site that thrives on clones, derivatives and sometimes varying quality versions of original weapons and devices. Also, unless you live off land you cultivated, fertilized and irrigated yourself, wear handwoven clothes, wear deerhide boots and utlitize ores and chemicals produced strictly in the USA or other countries with good working conditions, playing the Commie-slave-labor fiddle is a bit trite.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#44]
personal attacks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top