Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 1:24:21 PM EDT
My Mini-14 (with Walther bull barrel) consistently puts 5 rounds into an inch @ 100 yards off a bench. The problem is it weighs just under 10 lbs and is too heavy for this wussy in the field.

Can those of you who have experience with them give me some ideas on a good shooting setup for a lightweight AR15?  Thanks in advance!

15?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/j1911mcd/Posts/LghtWght16.jpg

This is a Cavalry Arms lower with a Bushy light weight upper. The sling is an old CQB, now Spectre Gear. The rifle just plain shoots great. Handling is not really any different than a conventional weight rifle, but it does feel more like a "toy". It's great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Good example of the KISS principle. Two more questions 1) what size groups does it shoot with irons sights and 2) how's the flash suppressor work on a 16" ?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Not exactly KISS, but shoots moa at 100 yards. Also using a Bushy superlight barrel.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!  What's it weight in at?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sweet!  What's it weight in at?

I dont have a scale, but considerably less than my hbar carbine. Where in Va are you, shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm getting MOA as well with 55 ball.

The FS is a Vortex and works superb. Hardly any illumination, but I do get a "twang" once a round heads downrange.

I need to color coordinate like h8mtv.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
MOA with ball?  Works for me! I thought that was a Vortex but wasn't sure. Glad to hear it does what its supposed to. I shot a friend's unsuppressed 16" and wondered why anyone would NOT want an fs on a short barrel. Then I shot a Bushy with a Y-comp and thought the flash was the lesser of 2 evils!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
...maybe I'm not reading this right.. you do know that the Y-comp isn't a flash suppressor, right? And that flash suppressors don't enhance blast?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#9]
does the barrel on those super lights heat up fast?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]

MOA with ball? Works for me! I thought that was a Vortex but wasn't sure. Glad to hear it does what its supposed to.

That's two of us that are glad! Frankly, I was very worried about this project. MOA with ball in this set up is just plain luck. My other AR carbines generally run about 2"-3" when I'm on my game. The fit of the upper to the lower is tight. There's no finger push  takedown on this baby.

The gun is just a riot to shoot. As reliable as it is, I still choose a standard lower for my duty weapon. You just can't replace that feeling of heft.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
does the barrel on those super lights heat up fast?

Yes, but it doesnt seem to affect accuracy much. I shot it heavily one day and noticed the poi had changed, I resighted in, and its been right there ever since.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...maybe I'm not reading this right.. you do know that the Y-comp isn't a flash suppressor, right? And that flash suppressors don't enhance blast?

Right. What I was trying to say was that my friend's 16" had neither a comp nor a FS, therefore it had quite a flash.  However, when I shot the other 16" with the Y-comp, the blast was redirected somewhat for the comp effect and very pronounced to me (the shooter).  Since muzzle rise doesn't seem much of an issue with semi-auto, I personally wouldn't go for the Y-comp.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top