Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:26:02 AM EDT
This is my first post; just got registered a few days ago, figured I'd finally introduce myself... he
I finally got to shoot an AR and an AK a while back, and loved 'em both, but think I'd rather have an AR for now.  I don't have any experience with rifles (except my .22, heh), and have been shooting handguns for several years, but now I'm rapidly learning as much as I can because I WANT an AR before any Libs ban everything again.  I'm overwhelmed and amazed at how much there is to know and learn; I had no idea ARs were so complex.  I can't believe the abundance of information, knowledge and experience their is on this forum!

I've decided that I'd like to try and build my own rifle, or at least parts of it, and want a 16".  What I'm looking at right now is the CAR A4 kit on the RRA site.  I also just saw the Stag kit on Pete's website and it looks enticing... which would you suggest?  I won't be shooting a lot, maybe a couple times a month, and only out to 100 yds, as that's the longest distance I have available at the moment.  From what I've read, it seems everyone says you can't go wrong with either manufacturer, but if it were YOU choosing, what would you look for?

Is there any real difference in quality?  I can't afford to spend a lot, but I definitely want something that's decent, and may have to spread it out over a month or two.  I know I want a flat top for future optics, and I see that the Stag kit comes with an ARMS #40, and the RRA doesn't so I'll have another expense to consider if I go w/RRA...BUIS.  I've also been thinking of just ordering a RRA complete upper, and then shopping around for the lower stuff.

Fill me in on what I'm missing, or what else I need to consider.  Oh yeah, I will want some rails up front eventually for a Vert. Grip at some point.  I'm going to the gun show today (IF I don't get a flight!!!) and will probably try to get a stripped lower if I can find one.

Thanks in advance!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
They are about the same in quality, BUT... the RRA barrel may be a heavier profile (use to be anyways) and not sure if it's  chrome lined or not. Also it will come with a commercial buttstock.
The Stag will have a gov't profile barrel w/chome lining and a mil-spec stock.

If it were me I'd go with the Stag kit and a striped lower from Dennys

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site

I would pick up a stripped lower and the Stag Arms kit from Pete.
if you would like a different stock or BUIS in the kit just give him a call, I'm sure Pete can help.
I have been meaning to pick up a Stag-15 Model 3H upper from him myself
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the replies!  I think that's what I'll probably do then: go with the Stag kit.  It seems to have everything I'd want right off the bat.  how
BTW...touchdown K-State!!!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They are about the same in quality, BUT... the RRA barrel may be a heavier profile (use to be anyways) and not sure if it's  chrome lined or not. Also it will come with a commercial buttstock.

www.megpro.com/ar/15/cmt-m4gery.jpg

Does GTS offer a Stag lower, or just the LMT lower I managed to find on the site??
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
That Stag kit at Pete's is pretty good.

I had to do the math twice regarding what some of the components cost seperately; I thought I was mis-calculating.

You end up paying used prices for a brand new rifle.

Aim Surplus has a Stag lower for 100 bucks with $9 to ship IIRC.

Knowing what I do now, I would have certainly gotten it rather than getting a BM equivelent from a dealer, which I did starting out.  Easilly would have saved $150 even with the misc shipping costs included and a FFL transfer fee for the lower.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.megpro.com/ar/15/cmt-m4gery.jpg

Does GTS offer a Stag lower, or just the LMT lower I managed to find on the site??

GTS sells a stripped lower marked GLOBAL TACTICAL made for them by Stag GLOBAL TACTICAL AR-15 STRIPPED LOWER
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I just got back from the gun show.  Was hoping to pick up a lower, but alas, there were hardly any!!!  I found a couple DPMS stripped lowers, but the prices were a little higher than I hoped.  Not too bad, which now that I think of the transfer charges w/buying online, I probably should've just picked one up.  I saw a few "Eagle-something" (??) lowers, but hadn't heard of them so I stayed away.  Anyone know about them?  Anyway, I came away empty-handed, but it wasn't a total loss; I was able to get about $400 for my Baby Eagle, which now goes toward my EBR fund!!!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Eagle Arms is a subsidiary of Armalite.  They are a good receiver.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Doc.  Might have to go back tomorrow and pick one up.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Joy!  Just ordered a Stag stripped lower from Ballisticsounds!  My first piece of AR stuff; can't wait.  Thanks again for the input, fellas.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you will be happy, the two Stag lowers I have are good Quality and have a very nice finish
in the future - if you find yourself wanting to buy two or three stripped lowers at a time - don't worry, it is just BRD and perfectly normal
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.adcofirearms.com/

Check out the uppers..he has many in stock.

Mikey
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally, I will be part of the club soon!!  I got that lower ordered, and now I just got done ordering the Stag kit from Pete!!  I'm so excited!  I went with the Stag kit for the quality, and the fact that it's chrome lined, comes with an ARMS #40 already, and included a mag.  I almost went with Del-Ton, and could've upgraded quite a few things for the same price, but I figured I'd get matching stuff...damn, I sound like my wife!  hink
You know, one thing I really like about this site is that so many people have taken the time to type out SO much information on every topic, and post pictures with them, and then have it Stickied on the forum for n00bs like me!  You really don't find that effort anywhere else.  That helps so much.  I think my silhouette is imprinted into this couch FOREVER from sitting here for hours reading all that stuff!  hing
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Uhmm,  who's Pete?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Uhmm,  who's Pete?

Pete owns Legal Transfers
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Pete also used to talk shit on Stag Arms now he carries their products... go figure...

anyone who needs to use slander to push their RRA inventory on people doesn't deserve my business...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Pete also used to talk shit on Stag Arms now he carries their products... go figure...

anyone who needs to use slander to push their RRA inventory on people doesn't deserve my business...

when did he do that?
this is the first time I have heard anything negative about him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

when did he do that?
this is the first time I have heard anything negative about him.

when i first came on this forum about 2 years ago... all of his EE ads were "why go STAG to the prom when you can go DEA TUFF ROCKRIVER ARMS" and there were quite a few instances in the EE where he slandered other site dealers... at the time i wasn't really an active poster, just cruising the EE for parts and tech forums for ideas/information...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks, that is good to know
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top