Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2016 9:13:29 AM EDT
Morning all!  Figured that if I am going to play with "The Male Barbie" again, I might as well learn from the best.  I'm a bolt gun enthusiast and reloader who takes pride in making all the ammo I use for distance shooting, hunting, and range time.

I bought a "starter" AR15 some time ago to see how I would like it, fired about 30 shots, and turned it into a safe queen for a long time before I finally sold it...wasn't very impressed.  Then, very recently, I ran across a very good deal on a new, "mid-level" AR15 (from what the guy told me) that made me take a second look at the platform...an M&P15TS with Burris AR-332 glass.  I got a few extra, minimalist bits to add to it, and I'll post pics later.

And any advice on pills that work well in 1/7 twist barrels would be nice...looking to roll heavier loads for 2-300 yard shots.  Thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Coming from a somewhat similar gun background of bolt guns, I'd suggest your reloading and performance goals might be better met with a personal build that involves a more precision brand and length barrel.  The "curse" and the "blessing" of the AR platform is its flexibility.  Curse, because it can become a disease where you find a reason to build a rifle/pistol/SBR for every niche and need...both real and perceived.  Blessing, because you can actually build a rifle/pistol/SBR for every niche and need...both real and perceived...LOL!  For me it resulted in AR10 and AR15 platforms in about 7 different configurations to fit different categories of use...and then throw in 3 bullpup rifles to spice up the pot...LOL!  

OP, your S&W is a good rifle.  With a 1:7 twist you can load the decently heavy bullets with confidence and shoot just about anything else through it too.  It's not a heavy rifle either.  Still, I'll bet if you do pursue serious reloading, shooting, and even hunting with your AR, you'll end up with at least one or two more to fit your needs more effectively.  It just seems to happen for most of us.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Coming from a somewhat similar gun background of bolt guns, I'd suggest your reloading and performance goals might be better met with a personal build that involves a more precision brand and length barrel.  The "curse" and the "blessing" of the AR platform is its flexibility.  Curse, because it can become a disease where you find a reason to build a rifle/pistol/SBR for every niche and need...both real and perceived.  Blessing, because you can actually build a rifle/pistol/SBR for every niche and need...both real and perceived...LOL!  For me it resulted in AR10 and AR15 platforms in about 7 different configurations to fit different categories of use...and then throw in 3 bullpup rifles to spice up the pot...LOL!  

OP, your S&W is a good rifle.  With a 1:7 twist you can load the decently heavy bullets with confidence and shoot just about anything else through it too.  It's not a heavy rifle either.  Still, I'll bet if you do pursue serious reloading, shooting, and even hunting with your AR, you'll end up with at least one or two more to fit your needs more effectively.  It just seems to happen for most of us.
View Quote

Your comments about getting into personal builds gets my wallet nervous, because I can totally see myself going down that road if I really start to get into this platform!  I have a friend who is heavy into black guns, and using higher end stuff (Spike's, LMT, etc.) in different calibers, like 6.5 CR and 260 REM...just one of his builds (with glass) is in the thousands!

But you are right; to get the kind of accuracy I've become accustomed to, I'm probably going to have to build something more to my liking in this platform, but if I did it wouldn't be in 223 REM.  I dig the 260 REM my friend built...great ballistics for distance shooting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your comments about getting into personal builds gets my wallet nervous, because I can totally see myself going down that road if I really start to get into this platform!  I have a friend who is heavy into black guns, and using higher end stuff (Spike's, LMT, etc.) in different calibers, like 6.5 CR and 260 REM...just one of his builds (with glass) is in the thousands!

But you are right; to get the kind of accuracy I've become accustomed to, I'm probably going to have to build something more to my liking in this platform, but if I did it wouldn't be in 223 REM.  I dig the 260 REM my friend built...great ballistics for distance shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outside of my two AR10's in .308...20" barrel and 16" carbine...the 260 REM is about the only other big AR I'm kind of tempted to do.  Reloading is easy since I can use my .243 brass...the only bolt rifle I kept.  It's every bit as good as a 6.5C, but you don't have to buy the specific caliber brass.  Having lived with my two AR10's for a bit, I think you'll find something surprising about the .223/5.56 AR if you get into them more.  I built an 18" SS fluted barrel AR15 with fairly light accessories, and I have been really pleased with this rifle.  It has become my main hunting rifle for anything less than big game.  My 20" hunting AR10 is a beast.  It's fine for set hunting if you don't have to hike it too far, but it's just heavy.  A 260 will be quite similar in this respect.  This 18" AR15 is a pleasure to carry and a pleasure to shoot standing.  If you'll only be bench shooting or set hunting with a short walk, AR10 platform is fine.  I think you might find the weight of a decently built AR15 platform to be a real pleasure.  And of course, there is the Grendel, 6X45, and some others to muddy the water in the AR15 arena.  Again...flexibility and options in the AR15 category are both a curse and a blessing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Despite my unfamiliarity with this caliber, I can definitely see how it could be an excellent varmint caliber, but I'd imagine the shooter using this platform in 223 REM would have a decent trigger paired with reasonable marksmanship skill (light bullet = correct shot placement). As an example, with 68gr Core-lokt ammo running about 3100fps at the muzzle, the bullet should retain decent energy at 100 yards or so.

But like you mentioned, 223 REM isn't ideal for big game, which is what I hunt (deer and hogs). While there are number of hunters who use 223 REM for hogs, I'd be reluctant to use such a small caliber against a pissed-off 300lb. boar. My 140gr Hornady SSTs (270 WIN) drop hogs/deer that size in one shot, which to me is important because I don't want to ruin the meat with too many shots.

Here's a pic of my first, real "black gun:"

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/MP15%20TS/20160409_120637_zpsrkewsy6t.jpg

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Despite my unfamiliarity with this caliber, I can definitely see how it could be an excellent varmint caliber, but I'd imagine the shooter using this platform in 223 REM would have a decent trigger paired with reasonable marksmanship skill (light bullet = correct shot placement). As an example, with 68gr Core-lokt ammo running about 3100fps at the muzzle, the bullet should retain decent energy at 100 yards or so.

But like you mentioned, 223 REM isn't ideal for big game, which is what I hunt (deer and hogs). While there are number of hunters who use 223 REM for hogs, I'd be reluctant to use such a small caliber against a pissed-off 300lb. boar. My 140gr Hornady SSTs (270 WIN) drop hogs/deer that size in one shot, which to me is important because I don't want to ruin the meat with too many shots.

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/MP15%20TS/20160409_120637_zpsrkewsy6t.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/MP15%20TS/20160409_120637_zpsrkewsy6t.jpg</a>

View Quote

Man, that gun's a POS.  I know where you can get a good deal on a Bolivian AK to serve you better.

Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Man, that gun's a POS.  I know where you can get a good deal on a Bolivian AK to serve you better.

Nice rifle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/MP15%20TS/20160409_120637_zpsrkewsy6t.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/MP15%20TS/20160409_120637_zpsrkewsy6t.jpg</a>

Nice rifle.

Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I would look into getting a precision trigger, especially since that is what you seem to enjoy.
A good trigger can make a huge difference even on a more basic or mid level AR.

I'd look into some Geissele triggers
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top