Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 7:56:18 PM EDT
We could use an A2 rear sight blade with a lower aperture--one that's set up to work with detachable carry handles and non-Colt front sight bases.

I've got the same problem with two guns--On the DPMS .22 I've got the front sight post just about level with the top of the ears and it's finally zeroed at 50 (haven't shot that at 100 yet, with the .22 LR trajectory it might actually be close). On my midlength, with the front sight post about .040 below the top of the ears, it's still 2" high at 50 and more than 6" high at 100.

I am about ready to fill in the ghost ring with J-B Weld and drill me a hole lower in the thing.

Don't tell me I need a higher front sight post--any higher and it will be above the protective side wings, which is NOT what I want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask for the Lumpy discount.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Typical internet behavior--ask a question about IRON SIGHTS and here come the morons wanting you to buy OPTICS.

Same thing happens on the model airplane boards--someone will ask about what's a good airbrush COMPRESSOR to get and four idiots will tell him to buy a CO2 TANK.

I HAVE optics for the guns, thank you very much Mr. Helpfuls. What I NEED is some iron sights that will look somewhere in the vicinity of where the bullets are actually striking. Can anyone help with THAT for a change?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I was able to take a file to the shelf that the A2 sight sits on and get it low enough on mine to keep my front site in the ears.  I just refinished it with gun-kote and it looks good as new.  I cut the carry handle so I needed to refinish it all anyway.  I agree with the need for a carry handle that is at the proper height.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
THANK YOU IDHUNT! At last, someone who UNDERSTANDS THE PROBLEM and who has something HELPFUL to say about it FOR A CHANGE!

I too had considered filing down the sight base or shelf. Good to know that works! I might give it a try first on the cheap Chinese carry handle on the DPMS .22, and if THAT works, maybe try it on the gennie Colt handle on my M&A Midlength.

Thanks again IDHunt!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#6]
All this after everyone told me I didn't need the higher FSB ...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All this after everyone told me I didn't need the higher FSB ...

Oh I never heard a word about the higher FSB until exactly one week AFTER buying and paying for the two flat-top uppers in question. If I'd known about the problem I'd have bought at least one of them in A2 carry handle configuration, I assure you.

YES the problem is real. I guess you don't hear more about it becaue most guys these days are pimping out with bling-bling optics. Which are of course fine, but I want to be able to fall back on a plain, simple, unencumbered rifle if need be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I guess you don't hear more about it becaue most guys these days are pimping out with bling-bling optics.

Or we're using high-quality parts and put it together right - so it's not an issue...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.eotech-inc.com/images/551_le.jpg

Giggle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess you don't hear more about it becaue most guys these days are pimping out with bling-bling optics.

Or we're using high-quality parts and put it together right - so it's not an issue...

Colt carry handle on a RRA upper. Sorry, I didn't realize that wasn't considered "high quality."
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.eotech-inc.com/images/551_le.jpg

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a slightly different problem with mine. Although I didn't have a problem with the post going above the ears on mine, I did have the following: In order to get the thing zeroed, I had to back the post out so far that it would almost come out (the threads, that is). It would actually wiggle if you touched it. This was with a 50 yard/200 meter zero. Actually, this happened on 2 different flat top uppers I assembled with bushmaster barrels. As for the rear sights... on one of them I was using a detachable carry handle and on the other one I was using a GG&G MAD BUIS. The cure I used for both of them was to replace the standard front sight post with bushmasters "tall" one made specifically for use with flat top uppers. It worked just fine for me and as I mentioned, doesn't stick up above the protective "ears". Take a look at: http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/9349056-m.asp
Hope this helps... YMMV though? Good luck finding a fix that works for you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry. Just noticed that you don't want to use a taller front sight post. Disreguard my last post. Good luck finding a fix...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got the post that's in it backed out to nearly the tops of the ears now--it's still solid in there but any taller an it'll be above the ears.

I tried using a different sight picture today that only had the very post part of the front sight visible in the ring. It worked--put four of five shots in an inch at 100 at perfect elevation--but it's not "natural" at all, I had to really concentrate on holding that sight picture for every shot.

I'm still thinking about filling the ghost ring with J-B Weld and drilling a lower hole. Looks like that's about my only option--that and filing down the rear sight base on the handle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Typical internet behavior--ask a question about IRON SIGHTS and here come the morons wanting you to buy OPTICS.

So if you already know that... Why did you bother to post the question?? just curious
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So if you already know that... Why did you bother to post the question?? just curious

I keep reaching out in hopes that I'll find a couple people who can actually READ. Like my new friend IDHunt, for example!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Snake, there are still people out here that aren't afraid to use IRONS!   More power to you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Snake, there are still people out here that aren't afraid to use IRONS!   More power to you.

Many thanks, AK, for the show of support!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I can get you an aperature with an offset hole, I believe it is .040 lower, they are used for the Rock River DEA model with a GG&G rear and a trijicon front post, this should do it for you. Email me you address I can ship it tomorrow, if it works send me $8.00 this includes shipping.

Email me here

[email protected]

Robert
www.rbprecision.com

Now THAT'S the type of "Internet Behaviour" I for one, would like to see more of.

Kudos, Robert

Lonny

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Snake-

When I got my DPMS .22 flattop, I couldn't decide on what optics setup to go for (and how to ensure everything lined up right and holds zero).

Like a big noobie, I shipped her back to DP and asked them to put an A2 upper on my kit (for a small fee of course).  Took all the guesswork out of it.  Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put a Colt detachable upper sight on my Bushmaster lower and couldn't hit bovine excrement.

Quality parts ain't the issue.  MILSPEC compliance IS the issue.  BushMaster isn't MILSPEC on their carbine extension tube (otherwise the aftermarket stocks would fit and they don't).  So why should we expect BushMaster should comply with any other parts to be MILSPEC?

Sorry, but I put a Colt (MILSPEC) detachable upper on my BushMaster A-3 upper and couldn't hit anything on my BushMaster lower.  Hmm, isn't this an issue of MILSPEC compliance?  MILSPEC to what regard IS the question!

I'm ALIVE.  That's MILSPEC.  To a point.  For what MILSPEC is really worth.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can get you an aperature with an offset hole, I believe it is .040 lower, they are used for the Rock River DEA model with a GG&G rear and a trijicon front post, this should do it for you. Email me you address I can ship it tomorrow, if it works send me $8.00 this includes shipping.

Email me here

[email protected]

Robert
www.rbprecision.com

Hmmmmm, .040 don't SOUND like much but I just did the math and that works out to 8.6 inches @100 for a midlength, 9.9 inches for a carbine. That ought to at least get me on the same piece of paper I'm shooting at!

I'll take two--email inbound! Many, many thanks! Why don't more people know about this part???
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I put a Colt detachable upper sight on my Bushmaster lower and couldn't hit bovine excrement.

You're the second person to post this, and I have to chuckle.

Bushmaste has had a warning out for YEARS on this very issue and it applies applies equally to Rock River arms.

Colt uses a different front sight base than the others, so yes it's gong to be off.  The parts are quality but they are not compatible.  That's where the part about "put it together right " comes into play.  If you're going to build an AR you have to be aware of these issues.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]
So what companies are milspec and which aren't?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So what companies are milspec and which aren't?  

Which Mil-Specs?
The one that covers barrel materials?
The one that covers finishes?
The one that covers the M4 or M16A2? (which also includes acceptance testing0?

Companies that follow the bluerpints?
All the blueprints?

'Mil-Spec' is a very ambigous term and NONE of the AR manufactures follow all of the above (partly because are rifles have to have semi-auto parts which are different from the blue prints).
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Colt puts out the higher FS assembly, everyone else puts out a lower assembly.

That skirts the whole mil-spec jargon/falsity issue
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the dealers on the EE sells the taller FSB, can't remember who though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Snake45...
Okay, here's something interesting. I just put an RRA mid-length barrel on one of the del-ton upper recievers sold in the equipment exchange (I'm not sure who makes these uppers for them). Anyway, I put a "Wilson Combat" flip up BUIS (elevation adjustable) on it and also put one of the "tall" bushmaster front sight posts in (keep reading...). When I took it to the range, I was surprised to find that with the wilson sight set 3 clicks up from the bottom, I had to turn the front sight post almost all the way down in order to zero it at 50 yards. Turns out I could have just used the standard height front sight post. So here's what I have to wonder... Is this because of a difference in the matchup between the barrel/front sight tower and the upper reciever, or is this because the Wilson rear sight can be adjusted lower than other sights? I really don't know, but it _might_ mean that the wilson sight could cure your problem. Maybe you could contact them and ask...

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Timb3, thanks for the tip. I originally planned to get a BUIS for my midlength, but went with a carry handle because my kid likes them, and because I got a good deal on it. Of all the BUIS I've looked at, I think I like the Wilson the best. Might have to get one of those next year--after the credit card it paid off for all the stuff I'm buying THIS year!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Aperatures went out yesterday, let me know how they work out for you!

Thank you!
Krista

Check went out today. I'm excited about trying these things and if they work will be glad to post "big ups" right here! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aperatures went out yesterday, let me know how they work out for you!

Thank you!
Krista

Check went out today. I'm excited about trying these things and if they work will be glad to post "big ups" right here! Thanks again!

now this is customer service!

<Chris makes note to use RBPrecision in the future>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top