Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 1:28:09 PM EDT
My Mini-14 (with Walther bull barrel) consistently puts 5 rounds into an inch @ 100 yards off a bench. The problem is it weighs just under 10 lbs and is too heavy for this wussy in the field.

Can those of you who have experience with them give me some ideas on a good shooting setup for a lightweight AR15? Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:21:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 2:22:04 PM EDT by bsbg]
How light?  SPRs run in the 10-11 lb range with optics and bipod, while a "superlight" 16" will be closer to six.  This one is just under nine lbs with 16"  SS barrel from Denny's Guns and a Daniel Defense forend:

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:31:11 PM EDT
VERY nice BSBG, how's it shoot?  I've never used a vertical grip...does it help handle weight (I know its not filled with helium but does it improve 'perception' of weight?)
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:34:32 PM EDT
What do you plan on doing with the rifle?  Provide some details and we will be better able to point you in the right direction.  Be advised, you will soon become an addict once you step in to the world of AR-15's.  You have been warned.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:35:44 PM EDT
I just complete a build project. Stag Arms lower with a ACE ARFX Entry stock. The upper is an RRA A3 style with a Bushmaster Superlight 16" barrel with a YHM - 28 FS. With a Bushnell holoscope it weighs in at about 7 lbs empty. A loaded mag is the heaviest part on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:40:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sh00ter:
VERY nice BSBG, how's it shoot?  I've never used a vertical grip...does it help handle weight (I know its not filled with helium but does it improve 'perception' of weight?)

AS I discussed in another thread, I blame the 1-2 MOA groups on the ammo (BH 75 gr) and the stock 6-7 lb trigger.  I have installed and Accuracy Speaks single stage trigger and got some 69 Federals and BH 77's to try again.

The vertical grip helps balance the weight and control the muzzle on multiple targets.  ALso works as a monopod .   I took the vertical grip off the other day and decided that is OK too and saves 3 ounces.

Again, your intended use will help define your configuration.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:03:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 7:04:09 PM EDT by YardDogOne]

here's lightweight, Colt 6520
even lighter, Colt 6320 A1 sights
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:31:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Idah0Bound:
What do you plan on doing with the rifle?  Provide some details and we will be better able to point you in the right direction.  Be advised, you will soon become an addict once you step in to the world of AR-15's.  You have been warned.

I'm already addicted to guns, I'm just channeling that addiction towards AR-15's for the first time have
Thx!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:36:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bsbg:
How light?  SPRs run in the 10-11 lb range with optics and bipod, while a "superlight" 16" will be closer to six.  This one is just under nine lbs with 16"  SS barrel from Denny's Guns and a Daniel Defense forend:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=33343

What does it weigh without optics or the vertical grip?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:36:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 123whisper:

The scope and mount are about 26 oz, the VFG 3 oz, so around 7 lbs I'd guess...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:07:43 PM EDT
<==========The lightest rifle I have is my 6530, even lighter than my Bushy Superlight build.  I'd weigh it for you, but it's at my SHTF location.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:22:21 PM EDT

Not to get too far off topic, but that is a great looking 16"er you have there, bsbg.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:18:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 123whisper:

The scope and mount are about 26 oz, the VFG 3 oz, so around 7 lbs I'd guess...

Is that weight with a magazine?  If so, loaded or unloaded?

Seems a little heavy, maybe, just a little bit.  Got batteries or anything in the Vltor?  Does it balance and handle well?  I am looking to make something similar but lighter.  My optics probably won't weight near that much.  I'm thinking ACOG.   Wonder how much the magpul panels weight compared to ladder covers.  Probably insignificant.  I'm planning on going with a DD 12 with custom profiled cutouts for a fixed front sight base.  More weight compared to a DD 9 and a PRI flip front.  Going with a Magpul stock too, so I don't know how much weight that will add, but certainly more.

I'm probably going to sacrifice a little bit in group size and group size stability versus heat to reach my 8.5lb unloaded goal.  I'll have more of a handle on things in a few more months.

Thanks!

Top Top