Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/8/2003 3:05:15 PM EDT
OK, so I had a chance to pick one of these up at a VERY reasonable price and I did it. This is my first AR and I had heard a lot of bad stuff about this particular brand. I did it because the guy that was selling it is an old friend of mine and I know he wouldn't lie to me about it. So I took it out, expecting it to fall apart in my hands (from what I've read). It actually shot very well (realizing that I have no other AR experience to compare it too) and it did not fall apart or have any sort of malfunction whatsoever. It held reasonable groups even though I'm not necessarilyu a great shot. I'm a varmint hunter so that's what I got it for and it worked fine on the first time out. Now the Hesse AK I have truly is a piece of crap, but that's another story for another forum...
Wish me luck guys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:03:48 PM EDT
So hell really has frozen over.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:11:44 PM EDT
Good luck, glad it works.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:12:40 PM EDT
You're the type of guy that would take a bite out of a shit sandwith (Hesse AK), chew it up, decide it tastes like shit,... ...AND THEN TAKE ANOTHER BIG BITE (Hesse AR)?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:35:26 PM EDT
Thanks Mugzilla, I call it persistence and optimism :) At any rate, if it continues to function properly then I will be able to see what all this AR stuff is about before I move on to a nicer rifle and not have to spend a fortune on it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:43:14 PM EDT
Easy on the guy there Mugzilla, he may just have a 1 in a million rifle on his hands. I've been here about 2 1/2 years total and I can't remember the last time, if ever, someone has posted this much positive feedback on a complete hesse rifle. Congtatulations digex.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:47:13 PM EDT
There have been a few other positive posts in the PAST 2 MONTHS. I must also say congratulations! I'm sure that there are a couple of Hesse ARs that were not built under the influence of (ass)crack. Just a couple, and this guy has one of them!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:50:18 PM EDT
How much was it digex?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:04:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: There have been a few other positive posts in the PAST 2 MONTHS. I must also say congratulations! I'm sure that there are a couple of Hesse ARs that were not built under the influence of (ass)crack. Just a couple, and this guy has one of them!
View Quote
I should clarify myself by saying I meant [b]COMPLETE HESSE AR-15'S[/b]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:05:27 PM EDT
I picked it up for $525.00. It has the flat top and the knurled (floated?)fore grip. Has the composite upper and lower. Has a four-way dovetail block thing up front for accessories (I assume). Sorry if some of my terminology is wrong here, like I said I'm new to AR's.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:45:30 PM EDT
Just out of curiosity, what usually goes wrong with the Hesse?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:07:39 PM EDT
I'm sure there are people who have had good luck with the infamous RG Rohm revolvers as well. Every so often, a polished turd manages to stay afloat long enough to fascinate somebody.. Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:10:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Prebandanna: Just out of curiosity, what usually goes wrong with the Hesse?
View Quote
The recivers like to break...like literally in 1/2
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/8/2003 6:14:55 PM EDT by para-bush15]
Man, for the same money or just a little more you could have gotten a nice, new rifle made by a reputable company. But no sense in beating a dead horse. If it works and your happy, good job!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:01:48 PM EDT
So I came across as harsh. Sorry. If you already do not trust the brand (Having 1st hand knowlegde of their product qualifies you), save your money! For awhile, I would settle for something to save a few bucks. In each of these instances, I would regret not waiting. Saving a few bucks became wasting ALL of it, since I did not attain what I really wanted in the first place. Good luck with the rifle and enjoy the sport. Do not let that rifle's operation make you a "black rifle hater", if it does screw up on you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:13:07 PM EDT
My hesse ak-74 is actually a descent rifle. Granted the front trunion is welded on but it still shoots great groups. Some magazines might need a little trimming to fit smoothly but that's about it. It's also as reliable as my other aks, never had a hiccup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:21:03 PM EDT
Actually Mugzilla, your response was expected. I had already read previous threads on this topic in the forum so there wasn't any surprise from your post. No worries about being turned off of the AR-15 though, I really enjoyed using it the other day and I'm already shopping for another one. I will definitely go with a reputable company on the next one, but this one was kind of an impulse buy I guess. Hopefully it turns out to be an exception to the rule and if nothing else, I can trade it off towards a new Bushmaster or something similar.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:23:00 PM EDT
Oh My........[:O]! who's gotta'link to the pic of the snapped cast Hesse Reciever? I recall the owner fired 5 rounds and the butstock/buffer assembly/ 1/4 of lower rec. fell off onto his lap.....!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:48:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By IronBalaclava: Oh My........[:O]! who's gotta'link to the pic of the snapped cast Hesse Reciever? I recall the owner fired 5 rounds and the butstock/buffer assembly/ 1/4 of lower rec. fell off onto his lap.....!
View Quote
Not a good example of a Hesse failure. It turned out that the incorrect buffer was installed causing the gas key to slam into the buffer tower. Any lower would have split in this type situation. (Not defending Hesse, just pointing out that this isn't a good example to use).
Top Top