Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/19/2004 10:42:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 1:57:33 PM EST by TurdyDingo]
Here's what I'd like to have:

Something close to the XM177E2

Able to mount a Cobray or whoever 37mm flare launcher (to complete the "look")

At the same time though, would like to be able to have the same rifle except with railed handguards. Flat-top with no front sight. Would want a foward handle so unsure of how to keep the railed handguard from interferring with the barrel.

Want something like a Holosight or EOTech on the flat-top, and flip up front sight and removable A2 handle.

Am I asking too much out of one rifle, and should split this in two?

Seems to be hard to find exactly what I want. And I don't know if the rails on a handguard will mess up mounting the 37mm launcher.

Edit: To clarify, the launcher wouldn't be used at the same time as the rails or optics, just the A2 handle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:54:19 AM EST
If your going to put a flare launcher on it, wouldn't the M4 profile barrel be a better choice?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:21:40 AM EST
Currently, TS Inc. offers Colt CAR15 parts including the XM177E2 moderator, while AR15.com member Colt 653 and CMMG Inc offer upper receivers or parts kits for the XM177E1 and XM177E2 rifles.

If your intentions are building a flat-top upper receiver, I would suggest starting with a flat-top upper receiver and installing a barrel with a milled site-base. From there, you could install a quadrail, and 37mm flare launcher.

I am not familiar with current manufacturers that offer quadrails that mount the 37mm flare launcher, but I am sure others will chime in and comment on which will and which will not.

However, what you are asking in a firearm, is basically to start with a standard lower receiver, Colt two-position aluminum telestock, flat-top upper receiver with an 11.5" barrel, milled front site, quadrail, and a 4.5" moderator (or permanetly attached 5.5" for NON-NFA).

Does that sound accurate?

Sammy

Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Here's what I'd like to have:

Able to mount a Cobray or whoever 37mm flare launcher (to complete the "look")

At the same time though, would like to be able to have the same rifle except with railed handguards. Flat-top with no front sight. Would want a foward handle so unsure of how to keep the railed handguard from interferring with the barrel.

Want something like a Holosight or EOTech on the flat-top, and flip up front sight and removable A2 handle.

Seems to be hard to find exactly what I want. And I don't know if the rails on a handguard will mess up mounting the 37mm launcher.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:39:30 AM EST
I should have added that this will be a non NFA so would be looking at having a perma flashhider to get to 16"

I don't know if a 37mm would look right on a XM177E2. I've seen them on M4s, but don't know how much different (other than barrel) that is.

The only concern I have regarding the rail is will mounting a grip to it interfere with the barrel? Like put any pressure on it. I'm not real keen when it comes to free-float and railed handguards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:58:43 AM EST
So essentially, you want an M4 profile barrel with an XM177E2 moderator? How do you intend on mounting a foregrip if you intend on installing a 37mm flare launcher?

Sammy

I should have added that this will be a non NFA so would be looking at having a perma flashhider to get to 16"

I don't know if a 37mm would look right on a XM177E2. I've seen them on M4s, but don't know how much different (other than barrel) that is.

The only concern I have regarding the rail is will mounting a grip to it interfere with the barrel? Like put any pressure on it. I'm not real keen when it comes to free-float and railed handguards.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:56:00 PM EST
If you're bound and determined to have a flare launcher, build an M4gery. The XM177E2 was never intended to launch flares (or grenades) from a separate launcher. It was meant to be able to launch srandard rifle grenades off the muzzle; which is the reason why they lengthened the barrel to 11.5", and put that funky washer on the back of the flash/sound suppressor.

If you want an XM177E2 clone, build it "as issued". Anything other than that configuration will look crappy, Put your add ons, whatever they may be, onto some other piece
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:01:48 PM EST

So essentially, you want an M4 profile barrel with an XM177E2 moderator? How do you intend on mounting a foregrip if you intend on installing a 37mm flare launcher?
Woops, meant to say that as interchangable. Not have both at the same time. Like either have the 37mm and A2 handle, or have the rails and optics.

I don't want something that looks botched or made up. I really like the XM177E2 with the barrel short and a perma hider compared to an M4.

I was unaware that the XM wasn't made to interface with the M203, so I'll drop that idea and use it on another project.

Was the XM availible with removable handle or RIS? Trying to stay as authentic as possible.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:54:57 PM EST

I thin you're asking for 2 diffeerent things. The XM177 series had an A1 upper receiver no brass defelector (not a flat top w/ removable carry handle) and a fixed front sight post (not a flip up). If you want it to look remotely authentic you can use the same lower but you'll need 2 uppers for what you're wanting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:15:01 AM EST
This is a picture of a Colt XM177E2. What you are talking about is a 20 almost 30 year difference between the Colt M4 and the Colt XM177E2. If you would like to build a semi-authentic firearm, there would be no flare launcher or M203, there would be an standard profile 1:12" 11.5" barrel, A1 upper receiver w/ tear drop forward assist, reinforced lower receiver, two-position aluminum telestock, and a 4.5" (or 5.5" for legality purposes) moderator.

I would talk to AR15.com member Colt-653 if this is what you are interested in building.

Hope this info helps.

Sammy
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:18:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By selfishselfless:
This is a picture of a Colt XM177E2.....
11.5" barrel, A1 upper receiver w/ tear drop forward assist, reinforced lower receiver, two-position aluminum telestock, and a 4.5" (or 5.5" for legality purposes) moderator.

Thanks for the Pic! Im planning the same thing
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:59:03 PM EST
Thanks guys, learned a lot. Didn't realize there was so much different with the XM (forward assist shape, etc).

I think I'll steer away from that project for the time being. Thanks though :)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:30:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:32:35 PM EST by scottryan]

Originally Posted By shamayim:
If you're bound and determined to have a flare launcher, build an M4gery. The XM177E2 was never intended to launch flares (or grenades) from a separate launcher. It was meant to be able to launch srandard rifle grenades off the muzzle; which is the reason why they lengthened the barrel to 11.5", and put that funky washer on the back of the flash/sound suppressor.

If you want an XM177E2 clone, build it "as issued". Anything other than that configuration will look crappy, Put your add ons, whatever they may be, onto some other piece

You are wrong. The washer was put there so the XM148 grenade launcher could be attached to the bottom of the rifle. The moderator has too large of a diameter to launch a rifle grenade.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:50:38 PM EST
Your welcome. Your best bet is to talk to Colt-653.

Sammy

Originally Posted By AKsRule:

Originally Posted By selfishselfless:
This is a picture of a Colt XM177E2.....
11.5" barrel, A1 upper receiver w/ tear drop forward assist, reinforced lower receiver, two-position aluminum telestock, and a 4.5" (or 5.5" for legality purposes) moderator.

Thanks for the Pic! Im planning the same thing

Top Top