Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 4:44:47 AM EDT

Well, here it is finially. The AR15.com pic hosting is back up and running (for now )so I thought I'd show it to you. I love posting 'em and I know we all love seeing lot's of pic's so here's my Colt SP1 carbine with a barrel mounted (M10 Mount) and 660 series (I think not completly up on all the SF models) Surefire 6 volt weapon light with the all important features like shock isolated bezel, battery recoil isolation which keeps them from smacking the light under recoil, and the oh so important lockout tail cap w/ 6" pressure pad all of which came from right here on this board from a couple of really nice guys. Coming in at just under $250 for everything wasn't cheap, but a far sight better than retail would have cost me.

Later I might add a A2 ARM's scope mount and get a Aimpoint to complete the package for the full effect of repelling "skinnies" back in the "Mog" just like in one of the coolest movies of recent Black Hawk Down.

-Mark
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
mk1, nice set-up. What kind of sling is that and where can you buy one?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
just a comment.  

i noticed the bezel of the light is very close to the muzzel!
you may end up blowing the bulb out.  i would move it back as far away from the muzzel as i could.  i know it has a shock proof head on it but better safe than sorry.  i would also spin it up to 90 deg off the bottom of the barrel so i could shoot on sand bags or use a bypod.  you may need a taller ring to do it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If it busts the bezel or bulb or not, you will VERY likely get a lot of powder on the lens when you shoot it. That in itself wont break it, but it will absolutely, positively cut the light output by a lot. I'd move it back as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Id actually back it up and swing the mount around to put it next to the front sight post.

Sweet light fighting gun mk1iii
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The light is beast as far as size goes. I'd say it's more like a 9P in regards length than a 6P.

I see what you guys are saying about trying to get light some extra room away from the muzzle. There's not much more room to move the light back though. Maybe half an inch of barrel space between the M10 mount and front sight base at the moment. See, being a pencil barrel causes the light sit that much higher and the bayonet lug prevents it from going back any farther. I could swap in a taller weaver ring to get over the lug but that would still wouldn't be much of a gain at all. Presently the 1" weaver ring is attached to the knurled section of the flashlight body as intended, for extra gripping surface I presume, and it wouldn't seem right to move the ring farther forward near the bulb end.

About the only thing that would work is moving the M10 mount under the front sight base once a taller weaver mount is obtained. That could get the light back an inch or two.

As far as it being in the 6 o'clock position I wouldn't bench rest shoot with the barrel resting on the sand bags so having the light at that position does not seem to cause any problems. On top you have the smoke haze and on bottom you have drawbacks too I guess but just think how far forward the light would sit then if I switched it. I do think I'll try another set of rings to get the bezel back another inch or two and get a cover for it to keep the lense clear when not in use.

The sling is Israeli, but I forget which place I got it from. Zahl maybe, just do a search and I'm sure you'll see a few threads about them. I might move it to another rifle and use a USGI silent sling patrol style on this rifle though. Decision based purely on looks and keeping like themes together and that's why I haven't done it yet. It's a good inexspendsive sling.

Thanks,
Mark
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top