Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 1:28:42 PM EDT
Looking to mount a vertical grip to a standard handguard on a carbine AR-15. This is my first time, so I'm unsure of what grip to buy and where to find a rail to fit underneath a standard handguard, non quad rail.

I've heard that Tango Down makes a very good grip, but they fit tight and are a bear to mount.  Will they cause movement in the lower half of the handguard?  Any other suggestions?  I've read that KAC is a good grip.  Would that fit as tight?  Where can I obtain a KAC? hanks.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
AAC and GG&G make nice rails.I have one for sale and I'll throw in a free VG that mounts with screw through a slot.   http://www.advanced-armament.com/products/ar15.asp         Here's the link to AAC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's one 6" rail that fits to a standard handguard: Universal Rail  You can find it at ACE Ltd, scroll down about 4/5's of the page.

Since your handguards aren't fixed you will get some movement if you twist the rail left/right.  How much movement depends on how tightly your handguards are fitted.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an SOG vert grip with a Surefire 6p and tape switch care of Brightflashlights mounted to a GG&G rail.  My only problem is that there is barely enough room for both of them.   Be sure that you have enough rail real estate if you decide to go with a handguard-mounted rail system.

For the record, yes, there is some movement in the vertical grip, certainly more than if I had removed the handguards and gotten a nicer rail system.  But for the money, and for the extremely small amount of movement, it is worth it.

My .02
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I read on here a while back that someone used jb weld on the end
of the hand guards to tighten them up. If you did'nt like it you could
file it off. Might be a cheap fix.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
To tighten up the hand guards just fold a small piece of paper and insert it in the groove at the back of the hand guard that fits over the barrel nut. When I say small that's what I mean. It doesn't take much. Install the handguards by squeezing then together at the back and work the slip ring back over the handguards. I have used this method on an M-16 with Beta-C mag. This rifle gets extremely hot and I haven't had ANY problems. I think you will be pleased with the results and it doesn't cost anything to try it.

Rats  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top