Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2003 1:15:49 PM EDT
I've got the entire lower together properly (except for one of the detent pins which went flying off to never never land. I'll get another one shortly). My main problem is that my saftey selector is extremly loose. There is a lot of play in it. It doesn't really click into place. Everything else functions fine. I have a Model 1 Sales A3 upper on a rock river arms lower. Any recomendations would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you forgot to install the selector detent and selector spring in the lower receiver at the pistol grip for the selector.  

Pull the grip off, and check.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/parts/lower.gif[/img] Part numbers 4&5.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/lowerKit.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I installed them. The selector works, but there is a huge amount of play when it is "locked" into position on either fire or safe. I guess the best way to put it is it feels like the pin isn't fully engaged into the notch in the selector all the way when it is in either position.

Andrew
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Try filing down the point on the safety detent.  A fatter, blunter detent usually fits the craters in the selector better than a sharp one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Also check the detent hole in the receiver; it may be loaded with crap and not allowing the detent pin to fully rise.   The receiver hole for the selector detent is a stepped cut/drilled hole (end at the selector side is smaller with a lip that retains the detent pin at the back).

Install the detent, and spring without the selector, and make sure that the tip of the detent pin is exposed in the selector hole.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like the pin either isn't coming thru, or not far enough. I would suggest you remove the grip, remove the selector, then put the detent pin and spring in place to make sure it is protruding like it should be to mate with the selector.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It ended up being the hole. I ran two different drill bits through the hole to get both steps clear of any fouling. I did that until the detent pin moved without a ton of force.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
make sure you are using the correct spring also.

the one in the pistol grip to the saftey selector is alittle thicker that the other dentent springs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I was wondering, what size drill bit are you using for the smaller hole?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]
First hole 5/32 and the second after the reduction step 1/8.  But work the bit by hand or you will oversize the holes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I just put a RRA lower together using the small parts from model-1.  the safety detent pin went in the hole but it was kinda stiff.  after pushing it in and out by hand a few times it loosened up to allow it to fully contact the safety selector which tightened it up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top