Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 8:36:53 AM EDT
I am new to the AR. I was early Vietnam, 65-66 USMC, so my trigger time was the M-14, since then I have shot a lot of matches with the M1 Grand, never the AR. Have narrowed it down to a S&w MP15 model 811000 m4 carbine or Spikes ST-15 m4 carbine. This will be primarily general use, lots of range time and maybe some low key matches. With the special at CDNN net price on S&W is 699 and Spikes with discount is 720.00, not much diff. My concerns are as follows: quality, name recognition, 1in9 versus 1in7 twist, I have about 5k rounds of real SS109, so will be shooting this for a while, which would have better resale, and finally warranty service. I have read myself half blind trying to decide which rifle, so I need some advise regarding the AR. The price point is an issue or else it would be the Colt 6920.

I thank you for any information, by the great forum.

Semper Fi
Cliff
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
They're both really good rifles.  Go with the one that you feel the most comfortable dealing with.  The Smith may have a better resale value due to better name recognition among the "general" public.

I haven't messed with anything from Smith in a while.  I'd just look for the one that has the options that are important to me.  Sight base, BCG, FCG, etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the board.  It looks like you have certianly done your research.  You pretty much narrowed it down to the two best deals for a quality complete AR.  You can't go wrong with either.  Smith is the more recognized name, but Spikes is probably more popular with AR folks (at least those on this board).  If the price is that close for similar configurations, I'd opt for the Spikes.

The 1in7 twist rate is defenitely more desirable than 1in9.  Both will shoot 55gr, but the 1in9 might struggle with heavier projectiles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Semper Fi, killer. The S&W is a nice gun for the price but the nod goes to Spike's regardless of price. Welcome!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I own both a Spikes 5.56 upper and S&W 5.45 upper, and I will say that the S&W carbines ran like champs in a VTAC class while others choked hard.  I'd go with the Spikes due to 1/7 twist, but S&W is no joke.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
In this case, I would choose the Spikes.

Because...

I already chose the S&W!  

Therefore, my first choice was S&W.

Not for any reason other than they started

manufacturing them.  Well, now that I think

about it, I guess it's really a Stag w/ S&W

roll mark.  At least, that what I've been told.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Spikes has a chrome lined barrel. not sure about the S&W.

I would go for the Spikes. Great company with great customer service.

this

Spikes makes a great AR !
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd personally go with spikes, 1- Im partial to their parts because they tend to be cheaper than say Colt or S&W. 2- IMO Colt and S&W are too "proud" of their name and really do not put out any better of a product.

my 2 cents worth
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Spike's.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Spikes.  Both are great though.  Spikes gives you more features and options.  Upgrade to their nickle boron coated (NBC) trigger for a improved battle trigger.  I've found the fit and finish on my spike's to be outstanding as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not a Colt? Next to a M-1A (M-14) these are pea shooters.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are buying specifically for the 109, 55 gr- 69 gr will run fine out of the S & W 1/9. Some will handle 75 gr.
55 gr.should run alright out of the 1/7. You can definetly run the higher grain.
Both companies make a nice AR.
Spikes advertises a lot of features for the price.
Should you ever decide you want to run a .22 conversion, the 1/9 will be better.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Dupe to a huge thread in AR discussions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top