Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 7:33:56 PM EDT
Got back last night from shooting aprox 500 rounds and boy was the gas end of the bolt fouled up with hard carbon.   You guys have any magic chemical or special tool to get all this stuff off?  I used an otis scraper and gun scrub but there has to be a better way.  This stuff was rock hard, no fun at all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
LEAVE IT.

Seriously.   You will get 2 dozen posts about miracle cleaners and tools, but the carbon IS SELF LIMITING.

It will only build up a little bit, and that's it.

Armalite posted this tid bit up years ago.   I sold my scrapers and left my carbon alone.   That was 10's of thousands of rounds ago, and my guns run 100%.

Cleaning carbon is simply an unnecessary chore.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
LEAVE IT.

Seriously.   You will get 2 dozen posts about miracle cleaners and tools, but the carbon IS SELF LIMITING.

It will only build up a little bit, and that's it.

Armalite posted this tid bit up years ago.   I sold my scrapers and left my carbon alone.   That was 10's of thousands of rounds ago, and my guns run 100%.

Cleaning carbon is simply an unnecessary chore.

Would be great if this was true. I detest scraping the crap out of the back of the carrier and bolt. Think I'll let it be and see if it is self-limiting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a piston gun and be done with it!  It leaves ZERO carbon in the carrier.  Here is a bolt carrier after 5000 rounds without cleaning.  Any carbon is from the chamber, it is always bright and shiney inside.

Actually, I just placed an order for CarbonKiller by Slip2000 for my suppressors.  I will let you know how it works.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Would be great if this was true. I detest scraping the crap out of the back of the carrier and bolt. Think I'll let it be and see if it is self-limiting.

Go to Armalite's website and look at their FAQs, should be there.

Then try it.   What do you have to lose?

I'll swear that it works.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Then try it.   What do you have to lose?...

That's exactly what I intend to do.  Nothing to lose here, just knowledge to gain.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly what I intend to do.  Nothing to lose here, just knowledge to gain.

i dont scrape any carbon off either, waste of solvent,time,energy and probably end up doing more harm than good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.break-free.com/products/graphics/product_images/carbon_cutter.jpg

have you tried using that or are you just posting it cause it says "carbon cutter" on it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

have you tried using that or are you just posting it cause it says "carbon cutter" on it?

I've gone through at least four or five bottles of it in the last six months.

What would you like to know?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I will try to let it go and see how bad it builds up.   If it gets really bad I will be putting the bolt in a coffee can with some solvent like the break free carbon cleaner pictured above.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I leave it after most shootings. Every once in a while I will scrape it all off and detail clean it.

It is truly self limiting. The AR is capable of getting far dirtier than most realize. When I get a new rifle, I treat like a bitch until I get about 800 or so rounds through her. No cleaning at all. All she gets between sessions is a little lube since most of it dries or drips off between sessions. My last one sat uncleaned for over a month because I couldn't get to the range.

Treat her like a bitch until she respects you and only then show her respect
(Note- This is mostly driveway talk. Please do not let Mrs. Hispeedal know that I said this.)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how long does it have to soak before the carbon just wipes off?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't scrape any carbon off either, waste of solvent,time,energy and probably end up doing more harm than good.

No carbon scraping here either,people have posted of using dental picks and other scraping devices.
                                                   YIKES!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't scrape any carbon off either, waste of solvent,time,energy and probably end up doing more harm than good.

No carbon scraping here either,people have posted of using dental picks and other scraping devices.
                                                   YIKES!

I use spent brass cases to scrape away stubborn deposits. No damage to be done since brass is much softer than hardened steel. But like I said, no more scraping for me. I know they sell hardened steel scrapers for the inside of the bolt carriers. Now that's YIKES!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get a piston gun and be done with it!  It leaves ZERO carbon in the carrier.  Here is a bolt carrier after 5000 rounds without cleaning.  Any carbon is from the chamber, it is always bright and shiney inside.

img236.imageshack.us/img236/5465/acb5000rdns0xm.jpg

Actually, I just placed an order for CarbonKiller by Slip2000 for my suppressors.  I will let you know how it works.

Damn.  Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how long does it have to soak before the carbon just wipes off?

Depends.  Soft stuff like the chamber and most of the bolt wipes off immediately.  Hard stuff like the bore or the inside of the BC, either soak for about 15 mins or speed it up by brushing.

It leaves metal completely clean, so it needs to be reoiled after using CC.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top