Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:04 PM EDT
Hi, I have never built a gun before and am relatively new to the subject. I was hoping to get some advice and help from people with everything i will exactly need. First my plans for the gun is to be very versatile. Meaning i want it to be as accurate as possible and as light as possible. I want to be able to do whatever i want with it. I want it to be feasible for long range shots and to be able to carry for close range combat. I think that is enough explanation for what i exactly want out of the rifle. So far i have decided on a Mega Arms Maten lower/upper and a noveske 18" barrel, and also a geissele National Match Marksman Rifle Trigger. I have been looking at other peoples builds but just looking at their builds doesn't exactly help me know what to get for my personal build. Thanks in advance for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
bump                    .
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to your local gun store or range and hold an AR-10.  You will quickly learn that light weight, carry it around, goes out the window.  I would also suggest that you get someone to help you that is local and can walk you through parts buying and assembly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Op you have picked some good brands. Be aware when building a. 308 ar that not all parts are compatible. I would suggest checking out the ar variants section.

Also just an FYI, unlike AR15, the name AR10 specifically refers to the armalite 308 product not all 308 Ar pattern rifles are AR10's. Just to avoid confusion when talking about parts etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't know where to start with this. An AR10 isn't exactly light, nor is it the best choice for home defense (over penetration could be a problem).

Now, if your looking to hunt with an AR platform then your in the right area. If you want it light as possible, then I think you should go with 16 inch barrel, because I don't think your losing very much fps by switching to a shorter barrel, honestly it's probably less the 100 fps (16 vs 18 inch barrel), and your saving a pound of weight. A 16 inch AR10 will weight around 8.5 lbs w/o optics and ammo.

When you say long range, what's long range to you? Are you planning on hunting deer? Elk? Antelope? Bear? Mountain lions? Moose? Wouldn't even consider .308 for Moose or Elk, if I had something bigger to use (to me, minimum would be 30-06 for those two animals, not saying you can't hunt those with .308, but bigger is always better for such animals).

As for building it yourself, you going to need the basic building tools, vise, vise block, armors wrench, torque wrench, punches, small brass hammer, regular hammer, mallet, slip joint pliers. Mega Arms and Noveske are good stuff, expensive, be prepared to pay top dollar for those brands.

There will be more opinions along in a few to expand upon this, but tell us what you plan on doing with. And don't forget to post up pic when you start.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your help. Ok so basically i am not a big fan of the 223 round, so that is why i am making a .308 ar. I would definetly hunt with it, and me and my friends(one is a cop) also do CQB training and i would want to use it for that also. Basically, i think i decided on a trijicon acog scope because it can do more closer range and longer range. I realise it won't be able to do the maximum long range for the gun, but i am wanting it to be equally good for both so i don't mind sacrificing some. For your hunting question mostly would be boars or deer. Mostly boars since you can hunt them anytime here in Oklahoma. Also the price of parts don't necessarily matter to me because i am going to take my time on this build. Also i should have specified i am not going to build it myself, i will take it to a gunsmith once i buy all the parts. Really my problem is i am not completely for sure of everything that i need to buy with a 308 ar build, since i have never done this before. Would a 16" barrel affect the accuracy of the gun too? i also plan on getting the barrel fluted to cut some weight off of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It won't really be a home defense gun. For that i will most likely use my pistol, if not ill use my Tavor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Op honestly stop by the ar variants section you need to figure out what type of 308 mags you will be using for a start as different lowers require different mags unlike the ar15 this is just the start of a long list of  strangeness when it comes to 308 ARs. Also I would recommend sending off to a good gunsmith you have fact checked on here that deals with 308 ARs to minimize problems.

A 16" barrel should be good to go but personally I'd go 18"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Light and accurate doesn't work well with the big guns. Lightweight .308s are very difficult to shoot well, if your fundamentals aren't precisely dialed in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op honestly stop by the ar variants section you need to figure out what type of 308 mags you will be using for a start as different lowers require different mags unlike the ar15 this is just the start of a long list of  strangeness when it comes to 308 ARs. Also I would recommend sending off to a good gunsmith you have fact checked on here that deals with 308 ARs to minimize problems.

A 16" barrel should be good to go but personally I'd go 18"
View Quote

Thanks for the Advice i thought this would be the correct place to post. However, i choose a mega maten lower/upper because they work with most parts out there. I will be using pmags and have checked they work with the mega.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top