Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/18/2013 12:39:17 PM EDT
Hey guys, a friend dropped off a new to him RRA lar8. He wanted me to instal his newly acquired utg two piece rail and utg collapsible stock kit to replace the factory a2 Hand guard and a2 stock. He was also having problems with the rifle not cycling. He had two failures within 10 rounds. I noticed his gas block was canted and the screws were loose. So after straightening it up and tightening it down it cycled 18 rounds fine.

I believe the rail is a no go. I had to loosen the gas block again to get enough room to instal the rail. After tightening it down it appears not to have enough room to fit over the gas port correctly and would cycle as a single shot, requiring the charging Handel to be pulled for each subsequent shot. I took the rail off and installed the stock plastic unit on and it was back to working.

Now for the collapsible stock kit. I mounted it up and it appears the carbine buffer tube is to short to allow the bolt to move back far enough to lock back on an empty mag. Is it common knowledge that there is a specific buffer tube for 308 style ARs. I'm hoping this problem is just due to UTG parts and if I recommend he purchase a quality unit the problem will be solved. Also, does the 308 cal AR require an H or H2 buffer? Thanks for any advise you guys can give.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:00:43 PM EDT
Yes, it is most likely an issue with the UTG parts.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:15:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GTBJW:
Yes, it is most likely an issue with the UTG parts.

Thanks, That's what I figured. Anyone know if there is a specific buffer for 308?
Top Top