Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2003 2:35:41 PM EDT
I have a pre-ban DPMS Cast lower.  I am finding that I can not fit any other uppers on it (excluding the one that came with it).  When I try to put a different upper on, I can see that the take down pin hole on the upper does not match up with the hole on the lower.  If I push down hard enough on the upper and use a brass hammer I can hammer the take down pin in about 90% of the way, but I don't think this is a good solution.  What, if anything, can I do to make this problem go away?  I have a nice A1 upper that I would like to put on it, but so far that is not an option.  

Thanks for any help!  

Brad
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem with my ZM, My problem was that I had the buttstock tube screwed in "One turn" or twist too far.

Do you have the collapsing stock or solid stock?

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an A1 stock on it.  I will try loosening it a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks!  

Brad
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried backing off the buffer tube, but that did not help.  I still can't put any other upper on.  Any other thoughts?  

Thanks guys!

Brad
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:21:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the simple to say (but hard to hear)answer is that it's out of spec.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the lower sounds out of spec. You will need to take a round file and remove some material from one or both pin holes. Since the lower is by far the more expensive of the two receivers, [b]DO NOT[/b] file on it. Just custom fit all uppers to the lower individually. You really have no other choice. [:(]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
After coming home from one of the most frusterating, anger days of work I have ever had, I checked the boards to see if there was any help.  After reading M4's post, I dut out the small round file and went to work.  15 minutes later and the problem is fixed!  It fits as well as the other upper I have for it.  

Thanks a lot guys.  You actually made my day!  

Brad
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Brad --

Sorry I missed this message.  You [i]should[/i] have filed the pins, not the receiver.  Always modify the 50 cent part, not the $500 part.....

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The lower was out of spec, now it's not.  The lower will now work with different uppers.  

I think he did the right thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top