Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/7/2003 2:35:41 PM EDT
I have a pre-ban DPMS Cast lower. I am finding that I can not fit any other uppers on it (excluding the one that came with it). When I try to put a different upper on, I can see that the take down pin hole on the upper does not match up with the hole on the lower. If I push down hard enough on the upper and use a brass hammer I can hammer the take down pin in about 90% of the way, but I don't think this is a good solution. What, if anything, can I do to make this problem go away? I have a nice A1 upper that I would like to put on it, but so far that is not an option.

Thanks for any help!

Brad
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:24:46 PM EDT
I had a similar problem with my ZM, My problem was that I had the buttstock tube screwed in "One turn" or twist too far. Do you have the collapsing stock or solid stock? Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:06:50 PM EDT
I have an A1 stock on it. I will try loosening it a bit and see if that helps. Thanks! Brad
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:31:17 PM EDT
I tried backing off the buffer tube, but that did not help. I still can't put any other upper on. Any other thoughts? Thanks guys! Brad
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:21:00 AM EDT
I think the simple to say (but hard to hear)answer is that it's out of spec.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:54:02 PM EDT
Yeah, the lower sounds out of spec. You will need to take a round file and remove some material from one or both pin holes. Since the lower is by far the more expensive of the two receivers, [b]DO NOT[/b] file on it. Just custom fit all uppers to the lower individually. You really have no other choice. [:(]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:31:53 PM EDT
After coming home from one of the most frusterating, anger days of work I have ever had, I checked the boards to see if there was any help. After reading M4's post, I dut out the small round file and went to work. 15 minutes later and the problem is fixed! It fits as well as the other upper I have for it. Thanks a lot guys. You actually made my day! Brad
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:43:22 AM EDT
Brad -- Sorry I missed this message. You [i]should[/i] have filed the pins, not the receiver. Always modify the 50 cent part, not the $500 part..... -- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:27:21 AM EDT
The lower was out of spec, now it's not. The lower will now work with different uppers. I think he did the right thing.
Top Top