Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/13/2005 3:58:24 AM EDT
Did my first camo job on a rifle. One of the colors that I used was accidently interior/exterior (grabbed the wrong can). What do I need to do to remove the paint and start over? I assume that the paint job will not hold up to the heat of firing because of this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:04:53 AM EDT
Acetone should remove all the paint. It will be a bit messy but you can get it done.

And may I suggest using Norrels or Duracoat for a finish? I know it is not as cheap as Krylon but they are more durable.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:42:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By steve0:
Did my first camo job on a rifle. One of the colors that I used was accidently interior/exterior (grabbed the wrong can). What do I need to do to remove the paint and start over? I assume that the paint job will not hold up to the heat of firing because of this.

If you are fine with the colors, and the way it looks, I would leave it the way it is. Krylon will not wear anywhere near as well as Norrells or LDC, but its nice and cheap. To strip it off, I would use a few cans of brake or carb cleaner. That seems to take most of it off, then just switch over to acetone/ lacquer thinner/ etc. for the little bit thats left.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:09:07 AM EDT
Thanks for the help guys. I was just worried that I used the wrong type of krylon and that it would not hold up to the heat. Tried this to get started and when I feel confident enough I will graduate to the airbrush.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:47:07 AM EDT
shit i had krylon on mine and break cleaner did nothing. Shit when i painted my gun i used some primer grey, like he said like the color leave it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:16:21 AM EDT
Is there a special type of Krylon paint that will withstand heat that comes in more collors?
Top Top