Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 8:08:21 PM EDT
If the info is here it evading my search skills.

I've got a Colt AR that was given to me as a gift (cool Father in Law).  Based on the SP24#### serial number it's a 1978 "preban" version, the lower is marked as an AR 15 A2 Sporter,  .223

Here is my question.  Just forward of the front sight the barrel is marked "CMP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR.

I'm curious about the markings on the barrel, is that normal for this model or has the upper been replaced/changed? The reason I ask is that if it is stock I didn't realize that Colt was putting 1/7 barrels on that long ago.  I haven't pulled the forend but I don't see any other markings on the upper.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
A2's came from the factory with the 1/7 Barrel. AFAIK
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Does not sound right to me.  Assuming your serial no. research is correct, I would suggest the upper, or at least the barrel, is not original.  Pretty sure A2 style 1/7 barrels didn't start appearing on Colt's civilian rifles until the 80s.  HBARs didn't come into vogue until the late 80s and an HBAR-equipped rifle should have "HBAR" in the receiver rollmarks.  Does your rifle have A1 or A2 sights?  I would expect a rifle from '78 to have A1 sights.

Be advised I'm no expert, though.  This info is from memory (which ain't what it used to be).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top