Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 10:13:43 PM EDT by J-Pat]
Hey guys!

I've been looking at getting a free floating handguard and my lovely girlfriend has offered to get me one as a Christmas/Anniversary present. The catch is she would like to keep it under $200 (we're college students).

I own a Bushmaster O.R.C. Carbine. I plan on replacing the FSB on my own dime. What is good for a good price will determine which gas block I go with.

Currently the gun is set up for an EoTech 512. I'd like to put a magnifier on some day.

Should I get one that is normal carbine length and get a normal FSB, or should I get an extended length rail and use a lo-pro gas block? If I go with the extended rail, what length is good on a carbine?

I've been looking at a few different setups. Hopefully you all can point me in a good direction

CARBINE LENGTH
Door #1

I thought this might be a lot of "bang" for my buck since it is on sale.
I have heard AMAZING things about VLTOR setups and thought this might be a decent way to go.

Door #2

It's at the upper end of the budget, but I suppose it might be a good investment

EXTENDED LENGTH

Door #1

Considered using this as an "extended" style with a flip up
Iron sights layout. Does Midwest make good stuff?

Door #2
YHM Diamond Spectre Length

A cheaper alternative to the above. I've heard YHM is a reputable manufacturer.

Door #3
VLTOR Midlength
Back to VLTOR, but this time a Mid length. I'd have to buy a lo-pro block or try and modify the one that I have.

Help me out guys! Any other suggestions are appriciated!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:24:14 PM EDT
Considering what you're starting with, I'd highly recommend the extended option.

Two reasons:

1) replacing your existing gas block with an FSB will be expensive. You'll have to send it off to someone with the correct jig to have the FSB drilled and mated to your barrel. The clamp-on FSBs aren't worth a damn.

2) you basically have a low profile gas block already, just diremel or hacksaw off the bayonet lug and sling swivel.

Of the options you listed for extended hand guards, honestly, I wouldn't use any of them. In that price range, try to track down one of these:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/VTAC-A-13-BLK.aspx

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MI-SS12G2.aspx
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:56:28 PM EDT
Here is my Doublestar M4 with a YHM flip front sight gas block and a Midwest extended carbine rail with FSP cut-out(MCTAR-20XG2). This is my 2nd MI rail and both have been great(I had a carbine length free float on another rifle MCTAR-20P).

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/SinjinSix/2012-11-24_01-01-15_940.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/SinjinSix/2012-11-24_01-01-51_109.jpg
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:29:42 AM EDT
I also prefer extended rails. Longer sight radius and I like having my support hand more forward.

The Troy Alpha rail is a great option. Thin, light weight and mounts to a standard barrel nut. It also comes with enough add on rail sections to mount anything you could possibly want. The 13in rail is perfect length for a 16in barrel.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:00:25 AM EDT
I have the 9" Troy Battle Rail with the smooth bottom and really like it. It has detachable picatinny rails for the sides and bottom.I picked it up for under $100 from Primary Arms, but that was pre-frenzy.

I don't need any mall ninja stuff hanging on mine so I don't have any of the attachable rails installed. Some day I may buy a bi-pod and would need to install one of the rails on the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:29:49 PM EDT
I ended up going with the Troy! It looked really nice - and I found it at a better price.

Troy Bravo Rail 13"
Top Top