Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 4:19:55 PM EDT
I am changing out my stock on my new preban and I cannot get the extention tube, buffer tube whatever off.  Any ideas?  I have tried twisting and twisting but it won't budge.

Thanks,
JBritt
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a heat gun/torch on the receiver extention, not the lower receiver, to break the bond if Loctite was used.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Being a preban , it might be loctited on ,
or just a bit rusty in the threads.
If it's a Car version , it MIGHT be staked on.
(look for "dimples" near the threaded end)

If its just tight , pad the lower in a vise ,
and put a piece of metal tubing over your wrench,
(for leverage).
Use a good wrench that FITS (not pliers or
visegrips).

Turn slowly (counterclockwise of course)
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well so much for doing it myself.  I don't have a vice or a heat gun so I will just call my local gun shop and see what they say.  

Thanks anyway.

JBritt
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually it's aluminum and that don't rust.

And the heated part will expand so I would gently, let me say tah again, gently, apply heat the reciever, not the reciever extension, with a propane torch with one of those fan thingy's.  Have a friend apply "gentle but firm" torque to the extension while doing so.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I am hardheaded, which turned out to be a good thing.  I applied some wd-40 and let it soak for a few minutes.  I then lay the receiver on the carpet and placed my knee on it and without much effort at all it come loose.

Thanks for all the help.

JBritt
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top