Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:51:50 PM EDT
I recieved two 30 round frankenmags when I bought a Colt 7.62x39 rifle and they don't work.  The follower keeps getting hung up in the magazine.  I looked inside the mag and I am not seeing anything obvious that is hanging up the follower.  I also cleaned the mags really good and tried running them dry, wet and normal, still no luck.  I am wondering if the springs are too weak.  What kind of springs does the mag take?  Looks like an AK, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I reviewed several articles on the subject of the 7.62x39 Frankenmags.  One even gave a good step by step with photos on how to make them.  The one thing that sticks out in my mind was the caution about having to rework the follower to work in the 10 round AR Mag upper portion.

You could even obtain replacement parts/springs for the AK47 30 round mags and give that a try.  Hope that this helps a little….

Other than that, you will have to wait in line with the others for C Products to get their AR 7.62x39 Mags out to us.  

ArticWolf
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you happen to have those articles anymore?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do you happen to have those articles anymore?

I think that I found the article here at AR15.com.  In short you take an AR-15 after market 10 round Mag and removed the floor plate to which the modified AK47 Mag was spot-welded in place of the floor plate.

The photos helped to show the how and were the modifications were to be made.  I think that it would be a fun project and would be a short-term solution to new delays in the C Products AR 7.62x39 Mags.

Larry and his crew make great quality Mags with a wonderful support group and research team.  While I have faith that someday we will have our elusive AR 7.62x39 Mags from C Products, it is hard to take a back seat over other AR-15/M16 owners that already have a working Mag platform over us that have none…

ArticWolf
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I am just trying to get my mags working until the CP mags come out.  Do  you have any of the Colt 5 round mags?  If so, will your rifle hold back on the last round every time?  Mine does about 50% of the time in semi-auto fire and never in full auto.  I think it is the mag spring, but I don't have any more Colt mags to test with.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 1 USA 10 round 7.62x39 Mag and 3 After Market 20 round 7.62x39 Mags in stock that I use.  I sent back my 4 C Products 1st run Mags thinking that they would be shipping out their 2nd run this month.

I do know one thing, even though they had some problems with their 1st run, they all worked much better than what I have in stock now.  They all worked so sweet compared to what I am forced to use now.  

You may contact Larry via phone and ask him if he has any of his springs/followers that you could try in your Frankenmags to stiffen up and smooth out your feed problems.  Worth a try in my book.  Other than that I wish I had one to play with until Larry comes through!

ArticWolf
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Had the worst day of my life yesterday.  The guy I got my AR 7.62x39 from had 4 after market 20 round mags from Cabelas.  I don’t have one but all the remaining 3 failed big time on me yesterday!  The one 10 round 7.62x39 USA Magazine broke too!

At present I have NO workable Mags in the AR 7.62x39 platform for my Colt to feed it.  I had no less than 10 FTF and several jams yesterday.  As a result I am now without any working Mags for my Colt.  I am reduced to having to use my AR-15/M16 Mags in a 5 round mode until Larry saves me.

I really wish I hadn’t sent back the CP 7.62x39 Mags that I had…

So if you’re interested in selling one of your Frankenmags, I’d be interested in one.  If I can get it to work, I’ll pass that information onto you for your remaining one.

ArticWolf
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Had the worst day of my life yesterday.  The guy I got my AR 7.62x39 from had 4 after market 20 round mags from Cabelas.  I don’t have one but all the remaining 3 failed big time on me yesterday!  The one 10 round 7.62x39 USA Magazine broke too!

At present I have NO workable Mags in the AR 7.62x39 platform for my Colt to feed it.  I had no less than 10 FTF and several jams yesterday.  As a result I am now without any working Mags for my Colt.  I am reduced to having to use my AR-15/M16 Mags in a 5 round mode until Larry saves me.

I really wish I hadn’t sent back the CP 7.62x39 Mags that I had…

So if you’re interested in selling one of your Frankenmags, I’d be interested in one.  If I can get it to work, I’ll pass that information onto you for your remaining one.

ArticWolf

That sucks!

I have them running better now.  They only stop every now and then.  Since I only have two, I really don't want to get rid of one.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top