Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:56 AM EDT
Can anyone advise as to a good 3 gun set up for the AR? The lower is done and I am unsure about the barrel and optics. I was thinking of the WO SPR barrel with the Clark free float. Your thoughts?  Pictures of your 3 gun AR would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone advise as to a good 3 gun set up for the AR? The lower is done and I am unsure about the barrel and optics. I was thinking of the WO SPR barrel with the Clark free float. Your thoughts?  Pictures of your 3 gun AR would be appreciated.

Lots of good into here

ETA: And welcome!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of good into here
ETA: And welcome!

What he said.

Brianenos.com is a pretty good multigun forum as well when it comes to finding info.

I'd say the most important things are a long free float, a good trigger, and an even better compensator.

A longer gas system and great barrel are nice too if you can afford it.

From there, you can be competitive in all three divisions depending on what you put on top of your rifle.

If you run optics, get mid/high range ones or don't use them at all. If you get cheap glass, you'll end up getting more expensive glass later so it makes more sense to buy right than to buy twice. Nothing wrong with irons either if you can see and red-dots are now competitive with the rule change that allows them in the limited division.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The following are key IMO for a 3 gun upper:

1. A good compensator.  SJC Titan is fantastic.
2. Rifle length gas system
3. Quality stainless barrel
4. Free float handguard
5. Adjustable gas system is nice to have
7. Quality 1-4, 6, etc optic.  True 1x is the key.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am on the right track. Would I be safe going with either a Nikon, Leupold, Millet, Burris 1-4x scope?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am on the right track. Would I be safe going with either a Nikon, Leupold, Millet, Burris 1-4x scope?

Of those four, the Burris.

You want true 1x on the low end and daytime bright illumination on the reticle.  The new gen Burris 1-4x is just barely bright enough in the sunlight.  I'd spend the extra few bucks on a Trijicon TR24, personally.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of those four, the Burris.

You want true 1x on the low end and daytime bright illumination on the reticle.  The new gen Burris 1-4x is just barely bright enough in the sunlight.  I'd spend the extra few bucks on a Trijicon TR24, personally.

Spot on. The Burris is the best of the 4 you mentioned, but the TR24 Accupoint would my choice too.

Additionally, if you're planning to shoot in Open division you can do a higher powered scope and a offset mounted red-dot for even better results up close and out far.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top