Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2002 2:21:26 PM EDT
The scope is a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 Adjustable Objective, Gloss Finish, Target Dot Reticle, Target Knobs.  The ar is a Dpms Panther 16 inch A-3 Classic (Post-Ban). I know that this is too much scope for this gun.  but I love the ability to get up and close with stuff on the range  

http://www.shooterstore.com/dpmsinc/images/RFA3-16P.jpg

might have posted the pic wrong just go to the address to look at it.

thanks for your help
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm partial to the ARMS #22 high rings & 1-inch inserts, but the Armalite 1-pc mount is also a very high quality mount, and may work (eye relief being the only possible problem, as far as I can see--and it probably is not a problem at all). Whichever way you go, it's a damned good scope, and it deserves a mount that is just as good. To be honest, if lickety-split removal/remounting is not a requirement, even though I am partial to the ARMS rings, I have to say that the Armalite mount would most likely fill the bill nicely-and be cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
First, that front sight post could present a problem.

In order to get the proper eye relief you'll need something like an ARMs #36 or #38.

Ring height you'll have to figure out. Even with the added rise from the SWAN rail with a 44mm objective you'll need at least something in a medium height; depending on how the height is measured... some go by the top of scope base to bottom of rings, others go by top of scope base to centerline of rings).

www.fulton-armory.com/RingHeight2.htm

Oh yeah, the gloss finish scope might look kind of funky on the matte finish of the rifle, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info.  glad I didn't order yet I'll go with the matte finish. did realise the Nikon came in different finishes.

so are you saying that this scope might not be able to fit on the rifle since of the front sight?
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Springfield Armory 4.5-14x40mm mounted on a Shorty AK (carry handle mounted), and it stretched from even with the charging handle to within about 1 1/2 inches of the front sight. This scope is pretty long, around 13 3/4 in, IIRC, but I see that the Monarch is over 14 inches.. The Monarch 6.5-20 may indeed have problems in fitting behind the sight.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top